Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Better fit

Wild Root

Gone Home
Here you go Marc.

This one's on the House!

beerman.jpg

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
Jorge From Long Beach has the armholes down to a science. He just takes liberties with the styling (that hopefully can be remedied).

Hmmm... If you stay on top of him, will he follow instructions?
I may have a vintage suit, I would like to use as a pattern and want
a very accurate copy in my size. Nothing as complicated as the one you had made, just a 1936-40 Windsor and a tux from the early 40's.

I still need to talk to my contact in the Hollywood costume business, but I'm thinking if he has the vintage construction down to a science, why reinvent the wheel? Besides, he would probably be cheaper (not that he's cheap).

>He does make the most comfortable and flattering trowsers I have ever seen >and worn and has a bead on where to find nice heavyweight fabrics.
>
>He is my next stop for custom trowsers.

I need some of those, too...

thanks,

Robert Conway

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Originally Posted by Matt Deckard
Jorge From Long Beach has the armholes down to a science. He just takes liberties with the styling (that hopefully can be remedied).

Hmmm... If you stay on top of him, will he follow instructions?
I may have a vintage suit, I would like to use as a pattern and want
a very accurate copy in my size. Nothing as complicated as the one you had made, just a 1936-40 Windsor and a tux from the early 40's.

I still need to talk to my contact in the Hollywood costume business, but I'm thinking if he has the vintage construction down to a science, why reinvent the wheel? Besides, he would probably be cheaper (not that he's cheap).

>He does make the most comfortable and flattering trowsers I have ever seen >and worn and has a bead on where to find nice heavyweight fabrics.
>
>He is my next stop for custom trowsers.

I need some of those, too.

Thanks,

Robert Conway

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
No comment then Mr. D..?

BellyTank said:
Speaking of 'heavyweight fabrics'... when I look at '30s and '40s Sears, Wards and Tailoring catologs- the norm seems to be 13-15oz, I haven't seen anything in the 19oz range mentioned- not even in Fall/Winter catalogs...

The fabric swatches in the catalogs all seem not-too-heavy.

Any comment Mr. D.

B
T

No...?

B
T

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ok but

See here, Mr. Monkey Wards, what about my zero-taper plaid bell bottomed 20's bi-swing button fly 3" cuffs in 40lb wool, but. Hmmmm.... Mr. Tank?

Wild Root

Gone Home
By great demand...

Mr. Deckard has asked me to post some photos of him wearing a new Brooks Brothers sport coat he bought and also a few photos of him wearing one of MY vintage sport coats (he never mentions that the vintage he wears is 90% mine :p ) any way, here are the armhole comparison observe....

Example 1. Brooks Brothers sport Harris Tweed.

1181863img3jz.jpg

Arms out.

1181864img0qh.jpg

Example 2. (MY) 1940's three button sport coat. Sorry for the camera shake.

1181865img1gp.jpg

Arms out.

1181866img5in.jpg

Now we can see the difference in a high priced modern Harris Tweed sport coat and that of a 4 dollar vintage sport coat.

Need there be more said? It's all about the arm holes!

=WR=

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
They are the most important part of a comfortable suit... chest and sleaves depend on a good armhole. They are what peeves me the most about modern mens clothes.

Someone wanted to see single breasted versus single breasted... hence the photos.

We'll diverify a bit more now that this is clear.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:
Dear Matt and Root,

ENOUGH about the armholes! I get it! We ALL get it!

Noooooo moooooooore!!! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!

Very sincerely yours,

Marc Chevarmholeier

THANK YOU!!! I'm with you 100%!

No offence Matt, I know you're only trying to help but your goal has been reached.;)

=WR=

PS. Yes, he takes most of these photos at my house. He likes to use my vintage to measure up to his modern. He?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s using me for my clothes I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m afraid.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
Someone wanted to see single breasted versus single breasted... hence the photos.

i think that was me, so thank you for the demonstration. though i hate to say it, the difference is not that great. yes, i can see the difference but i wanted to see the collar of the new jacket coming AT LEAST to your earlobes. i've heard talk of jackets 'touching the back of my head' and all kinds of horror.
but thank you.

incidently the first jacket looks good on you and is a better fit than the vintage.

(anyway...it's all about the trouser cuff circumference)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe