Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best vintage camera for the starting enthusiast?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Kodak 35

I always wanted one of the original model below. This was the first US-made 35 camera, made from 1938-48.
0002.jpg

These were military issue during WW2, painted OD with black fittings.
ph324-1.jpg

However, war photographers typically used the view cameras favored by photojournalists.

N2S3

New in Town
In the 35mm-league I recommend german Leica, either SLR or not.
Old Nikon F1 or F2, pretty and excellent Bodies made in Japan.
There was a Brand "Practica" of GDR, simple but nice.

If 120mm is in focus, find a good Hasselblad, famous swedish cube-case. Still one of most used professional bodies worldwide, today often with a digital back. Careful look an used one for typical faults. The lenses are pricey, but first class too.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
depression era

Fletch said:
I always wanted one of the original model below. This was the first US-made 35 camera, made from 1938-48.
0002.jpg

ph324-1.jpg

However, war photographers typically used the view cameras favored by photojournalists.

Actually the bakelite Argus A was made in Michigan 1936. It was the first American built camera to use standard kodak 35mm film cassettes. it was a commercial success & spawned many economical models.

895341259_0a9ac51a75.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
4x5

Fletch said:
ph324-1.jpg

BTW, not really view cameras. Press cameras were used by the War photogs & reporters.
View cameras & field cameras are more like what Brady used in the Civil War. Many adjustments to compensate for the geometry of a scene andof course always tripod mounted.

Press Cameras like the SpeedGraphic were generally a bit more compact (Fold into a well contained box)& streamlined with fewer adjustments. So they are usually cheaper than a view camera. And of course they were most often handheld w/ a mounted flash.

Magazine correspondents often showed up with a Rollei & 35mm contax cameras.
Below we see a rollei, contax & leica.
1416357223_25902df0bc.jpg

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Modern film with a old camera

I just got a Kodak Retina III c in great condition and need a bit of advice. I rushed to the local drug store after receiving my camera and purchased the only types of 35mm film they had. Kodak Ultramax 400 and Kodak Gold 200. According to the manual you set the film indicator to the appropriate film and the exposure setting ring to the appropriate ASA exposure index. My question is what settings are correct with the above mentioned modern film?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have never handled one of these personally, but I'm looking at the manual at

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/kodak/retina_iiic/retina_iiic.htm

The Film Indicator is just to remind you what film is loaded (it doesn't change the camera's performance), and Plus-X is the only one of the film types on it that's still being made! So, you can skip this step.

Set the ASA on the Exposure Setting Ring to 200 or 400, depending on which film you load - that is, if it even goes up to 400 (which was pretty much a science-fiction-fast film speed in the 1950s).

A word of advice... these old Selenium light meters can still be very accurate if the camera was stored in the dark (i.e., its case) and under good temperature, etc., conditions. But conversely, they can be way off. Check it with a standalone light meter, or by estimating with the Sunny 16 Rule until you are sure. (On the other hand, today's color print films have so much exposure latitude that even if you're two or three stops off, you'll get a reasonable negative/print!)

Good luck, this looks like a great camera. (I have a much older Retina - one of the 1930s German models - but it didn't perform well when I put film through it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe