Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best "hat movie" ever?

carter

I'll Lock Up
"Miller's Crossing from Joel and Etan Cohen is a good hat movie and a heckuva film. Great cast includes Garbiel Byrne, Albert Finney, Marcia Gay Harden, and John Turturro. Goood gritty gangster movie with a great soundtrack.
mcdscene2.jpg

mcdscene1.jpg

mcfreeman1.jpg

mcturturro.jpg

gabriel_byrne5.jpg

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Carter,

Good choices and two of my favorite movies! May I add ANYTHING with Bogart -
6296.jpg
- the preceeding which I just watched yesterday for the first time. Good movie!

Oh, a couple of years back the Arclight Cinema over in Hollywood displayed some of the wardrobe from "The Road to Perdition" and it was quite remarkable. I don't know how authentic it was, but it sure was...thick.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Jeff,
Let's assume that Miller's Crossing and Road to Perdition are on a double-bill.

What's the pairing with your Bogie film?

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
carter said:
Jeff,
Let's assume that Miller's Crossing and Road to Perdition are on a double-bill.

What's the pairing with your Bogie film?
Requiem For A Heavyweight - The Jackie Gleason/Anthony Quinn version OR On The Waterfront.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
Don't know if it was a good movie, but I just watched the last 20 minutes of the greatest game ever played. There seemed to be plenty of hats.
My grandfather was there, hat squarely on head. There was a newspaper strike in NYC and they were having a hard time selling tickets so they advertised in Baltimore. It was something like $5 for a ticket and round-trip train fare (I assume you're referring to the 1958 NFL championship game).

pgoat

One Too Many
funneman said:
"The Sting" has some great hats. That powder blue fedora Paul Newman wears is to die for.

+1

There are too many older BW films with great hats to list (Bogie's big sleep and Maltese Falcon being particular favorites), but for "recent" color films I like The Sting and Chinatown for great hats.

Chinatown also had exquisite suits. I Loved the clothes in The Untouchables, but thought the hats were only so-so. I never noticed Indiana Jones' hats before going on this website - I swear! I was too busy coveting that jacket and those boots!lol

snowslider

New in Town
just watched a good 'hat movie' this evening.

it's a 1952 black and white italian film. with english subtitles.
titled: Umberto D.

basicall post war depression and an elderly man and his dog struggle with eviction and sickness. it's basically a sad story. but great reviews. i simply saw it on the shelf. tons of great coats and hats to appreciate.

i love the video store we have here in town (Norfolk, VA). they have a lot of international and obscure finds.
if you got Umberto D. in stock... you probably got a great video store.
otherwise try those mail rental programs... i dont know much about them.
4062.jpg

Umberto_D.jpg

12.jpg

cine519.jpg

d3f28dedc79accf061d0bbf1c20db9c9.jpg

riccardo

Practically Family
The voice

I remember a movie with Frank Sinatra, he was a sniper and he want to kill the USA President, I don't remember the title , but I remember very well the hats I've seen on it , a lot of FBI members wore some beautiful hats looking like OR, others wore some beautiful fedora, with large ribbon and wide brims.
Very good.
Riccardo.

Red McCutcheon

New in Town
d

Unless I missed it, nobody's mentioned Dr. No and From Russia with Love. Two superior Bond films in which Seanery sports a mean fedora.

PS--Believe it or not, Steve Martin pulls off a nice lid in Plains, Trains and Automobiles.

pgoat

One Too Many
I've been yakking about early Bond hats here recently. I think his was the brit version (trilby?), more tapered crown, small woven ribbon, etc etc.

"Both hands, misterr Jonsch - I'm a verrry nerrrrvous pahssenjah!"

In Dead Men don't wear plaid Steve Martin also had some nice lids.

Red McCutcheon

New in Town
d

Probably so. The brim was fairly narrow and the crown was high. My own Biltmore/Miller Belfast was the closest I could come, and I think it comes pretty damned close.

pgoat

One Too Many
Red McCutcheon said:
Probably so. The brim was fairly narrow and the crown was high. My own Biltmore/Miller Belfast was the closest I could come, and I think it comes pretty damned close.

I had an old Biltmore like that too - I forget the model name.....it was almost Tyrolean, very yodel-i-eee-hoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe