Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best "hat movie" ever?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I don't have any screen grabs from it, but one of the best I've seen was The Secret Six (1931), with Wallace Beery, and a small part played by Jean Harlow. Number of hats per foot of film was very high.
Yep, I recall that movie, I loved Wallace Beery movies!

A nice parade of western hats in front of the enlistment window in the early minutes of The General... anyone else catch this one on TCM last night?

buster6.jpg

job

One Too Many
The General is one of the best action comedies ever made. I love watching Keaton, Lloyd, and Chaplin movies with Keaton being my favorite. You get to see so many great hats in these movies. Plus most have been restored and are not grainy looking like they were when we were kids.
Alan,
The General was the most expensive movie of the silent era and initially didn't make it's money back. Now it's widely considered Keaton's masterpiece as a director and actor. It is also available on Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The General is surely a great flick, but some quick Googling shows that it is NOT "the most expensive movie of the silent era". Other films with better claims to that title include Metropolis and Ben Hur. And several of the Douglas Fairbanks and D.W. Griffith costume epics are close behind.

However, it's been widely reported that the shot of the train falling off the bridge is the most expensive single shot of the silent era. And The General was indeed Keaton's most expensive silent feature...

buler

I'll Lock Up
Saw some of "Pigskin Parade" today. Judy Garland is in it and it's from 1936. It has an amazing array of hats including a large number of very high crowned westerns.

Youtube clip -> Pigskin Parade

Still shot:

attachment.php

B

Attachments

• pigskin_parade.jpg
    pigskin_parade.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
"Murder on a Bridle Path" although, not my idea of a great movie, is hat heaven. The star James Gleason is a great character actor who is perpetually middle-aged for his nearly 30 years in the movies. He's in great hats in all of his movies (usually as a sidekick) and the extended cast in this movie all wear especially great hats.

"The Kennel Murder Case" with William Powell is another hat showcase. Powell as Philo Vance not the "Thin Man" Nick Charles. I agree the "Thin Man" movies are all pretty good for hats, it's interesting to watch his hat styles change from the mid 30's to the late 40's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld