Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts or Suspenders?

What do you prefer, belts or suspenders?

• Belts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspenders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
That's an easy one Trafalgar.
http://www.dann-online.com/limited_edition_trafalgar_braces.htm

I have the girls on motorcycles---called Dangerous Dames. ;) They aren't exactly cheap though. I just happen to hate the elstic ones and prefer the material ones that adjust and look so much more classic and classy. The elastic ones are like wearing bungees to hold up your pants. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J
Thanks for the link. Very nice, although after I pay for the suspenders I won't be able to afford the trousers to be held up by them. :eek:

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Problem with suspenders is that they've really gone out of style. They also seem to be a bit of a novelty. I remember my older cousin snapped my suspenders on Easter for a laugh :mad:. But how does one wear suspenders and still fit-in with the times? I'm talkign everyday wear here because with a suit its completely acceptable. Although for some of you your everyday wear is a suit. :p

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
"Problem with suspenders is that they've really gone out of style."

You're joking,right?

"But how does one wear suspenders and still fit-in with the times? "

Why would you want to do that?;)

Well, people are going to (sometimes) stare or what not. You have to wear what makes you feel right and do your best to ignore the ignorant. Of course it does get easier to do that as you get older...people assume I'm just some weird guy and leave me alone. It's either that or my resemblance to Hannibal Lecter, I'm not sure which...

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I certainly prefer a belt. I like to have my trousers where I like them to be, not wobbling around, which is hard to avoid even if the braces aren't elastic.

You need to have a very constant waistline, not gaining or losing a bit of weight, and respective trousers. If you do gain a bit now, and lose half a pound again a week or two later, a belt can hide this very well. "Open" trousers (sorry) that are just hung at braces can't.

Also, among us high-waisters, if you happen to have a typically male form of non-washboard belly, a solid line will look better than trousers that don't have a clear upper limit, in my opinion.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i can't choose.

some days i get up and want to wear a belt.
somedays i want to wear braces.

braces stand out more in the modern world (although you see them in fashion magazine shoots all the time they don't seem to be catching on at all.. except perhaps for the skinny trendy-mod look).

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
You need to have a very constant waistline, not gaining or losing a bit of weight, and respective trousers. If you do gain a bit now, and lose half a pound again a week or two later, a belt can hide this very well. "Open" trousers (sorry) that are just hung at braces can't.

Actually that is why I wear suspenders. I like the pants to hang or be "suspended" from the suspenders. If I wanted the pants to fit tight I would get spandex. lol

Regards,

J

dr greg

One Too Many
fast clip

what I want to know is: is it acceptable to wear the modern clip-on suspenders exposed on a pair of trousers that have belt lugs: I have two pairs of vintage buttton braces that are just too short for the modern cut of trouser, and i hate belts in my old age.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Braces look better (at least I think so) than clip on suspenders. Although, clip on's are more veristile they've had the tendency to slip of the pants for me at times. But you know, now that I think about it, alot of people my age seem to thing the suspenders dangling are cool...but as an everyday kind thing I've noticed people get annoyed (I remember this one kid wore suspenders everyday and alot of kids were getting really annoyed for some reason).

Zach R.

Practically Family
ArrowCollarMan said:
They have gone out of style. Wearing them with suits is fine but its not often I see someone walking around with suspenders on.

Almost everything that is talked about on this board is "out of style," but you know what I say to people who tell me such things?

"Does it really matter, pal?"

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I like the pants to hang or be "suspended" from the suspenders. If I wanted the pants to fit tight I would get spandex. lol

If I didn't want the trousers to fit, I wouldn't care about the size.
If I didn't want the trousers to fit, I'd leave them unbuttoned/unzipped.

Again, I concede that non-elastic braces are less ridiculous than elastic ones.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
personally, I usually wear a western belt. Black tooled leather with conchos. about 2, 2.5 inches wide. Big buckle. It's big, but not too flashy. I wear it with my 501s all the time.

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
If I didn't want the trousers to fit, I wouldn't care about the size.
If I didn't want the trousers to fit, I'd leave them unbuttoned/unzipped.

Again, I concede that non-elastic braces are less ridiculous than elastic ones.

Fit is one thing, cling is another. Pants need a drape. If they are not the right size then they will not hang properly. Suspenders give the trousers the correct hang and can help adjust the break above the shoe. The regular braces without elastic make the fit even better. They are like a sock garter for your pants. :D

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I suggest you button and zip your pants something bad might happen otherwise. :eek:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
ArrowCollarMan said:
Problem with suspenders is that they've really gone out of style. They also seem to be a bit of a novelty.

Channel Indy, Brenden Frasier in The Mummy, or Clooney in O' Brother Where Art Thou. You are cooler than those in style. And none of these guys were wearing a suit, nor were they lame-looking.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
The regular braces without elastic make the fit even better. They are like a sock garter for your pants.

Uh, you sure you're arguing in favour of braces?

jamespowers said:
P.S. I suggest you button and zip your pants something bad might happen otherwise.:eek:

Right. But I do want my trousers to fit anyway, so wear a belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe