Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Table Manners

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not yet..
And: ughh! I'd take that fork and poke it's owner until he/she learns how to hold it properly.

One more:
Loud sipping of tea. Hey! I'm trying to make a Tea Time.. not a "messy loud drinker" time. You know, when you give your guest the porcelain tea set, and they behave like it's.. oh, I don't know.. unbreakable cup, and take the liberty to blow into it to "cool it down". No! You do NOT blow into tea!

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I agree and would go further to say that any type of entertainment expierienced during a meal (beyond softly played music) detracts from the culinary experience as well.

This is kinda "funny" , my dad was born in 1955 and I in 1988, he had a stricter upbringing than me (His father was devout pastor) , but when we eat together at home, he always seems to have some background music on, so I am usually the guy who has to turn it off, since it is impossible (for me at least) to have a conversation at the dinner table, whilst listening to music at the same time :p

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
:mad: I cant stand people chewing with their mouths open and while on the subject of chewing, I cannot stand people chewing gum with their mouths open! Its disgusting

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Along with that is the arms around the bowl or plate and hunched over like someone is going to take their food from them. What is that about??

Well, I've got 3 bad-mannered pooches and 1 greedy boyfriend, so in my house that's not so far from the truth! He shovels it in like nobody's business, so I have from time to time been reduced to growling like Belker in Hill Street Blues when he starts eyeballing my plate...

I have a manners question: is it considered better manners to bring the food to the mouth or inclining the mouth toward the food?

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I have a cubicle neighbor... who does so many things with her food that daily I give thanks that I can wear a headset at work. She slurps, chomps, talks with her mouth full, and BTW her cube resembles a landfill. At least the cube wall is high.

rue

Well, I've got 3 bad-mannered pooches and 1 greedy boyfriend, so in my house that's not so far from the truth! He shovels it in like nobody's business, so I have from time to time been reduced to growling like Belker in Hill Street Blues when he starts eyeballing my plate...

I have a manners question: is it considered better manners to bring the food to the mouth or inclining the mouth toward the food?

Stab his hand with the fork and he won't do it again :p

You bring your food to your mouth and not the other way around :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Just because I may have stretched the truth once ore twice......It's so unfair....:(

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This whole thread has me worried about my table manners. :p

I do have a serious question, however. If you are not supposed to use a fork to "scoop" your food (only use the tines to "stab" or stick things), how do you eat certain foods? For instance, I had a salad tonight that had cut up little pieces of cabbage and grated carrots. Although I tried to mix this with the lettuce leaves so I could "stab" it, most of it was at the bottom. Since with a salad you have a special fork, I am assuming that you would use the salad fork to "scoop" it up- i.e. like a spoon? Or are you supposed to switch to a spoon (this seems wrong to me)? Or leave the good part?

Also, given the no scooping with a fork, are you supposed to eat something like a curry or rice pilaf with a spoon?

Apparently I missed the no using a fork as a spoon lesson. :(

That's another of those times when I for one am inclined to say "Hang the Rules, Git-R-Done and the heck with what the Pinky In The Air crowd thinks."

Then again, I'm notorious for not particularly caring about 'separate silverware for each course" niceties... which have always struck me as just another way for the To The Manor Born With Silver Cranium Up Rectum set to show off.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Has holding a fork or spoon like a shovel been mentioned? To me that is a sure sign that table manners were not part of someone's childhood training.

This whole thread has me worried about my table manners. :p

I do have a serious question, however. If you are not supposed to use a fork to "scoop" your food (only use the tines to "stab" or stick things), how do you eat certain foods? For instance, I had a salad tonight that had cut up little pieces of cabbage and grated carrots. Although I tried to mix this with the lettuce leaves so I could "stab" it, most of it was at the bottom. Since with a salad you have a special fork, I am assuming that you would use the salad fork to "scoop" it up- i.e. like a spoon? Or are you supposed to switch to a spoon (this seems wrong to me)? Or leave the good part?

Also, given the no scooping with a fork, are you supposed to eat something like a curry or rice pilaf with a spoon?

Apparently I missed the no using a fork as a spoon lesson. :(

Funny - salad and curry were the EXACT two dishes that I thought of where I scoop with my fork! And generally speaking I have very good table manners, although I am very prone to spilling stuff on the tablecloth.

One more:
Loud sipping of tea. Hey! I'm trying to make a Tea Time.. not a "messy loud drinker" time. You know, when you give your guest the porcelain tea set, and they behave like it's.. oh, I don't know.. unbreakable cup, and take the liberty to blow into it to "cool it down". No! You do NOT blow into tea!

That's a culturally specific one, isn't it? Is it the Chinese who slurp tea to show appreciation of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld