Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attorneys and Barristers of the Lounge

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
G'day all. The Lawyers in Lids Room has been doing a roaring trade while us Aussies have been sleeping. Good to see

Now Lefty -

Lefty said:
This thread has nothing to do with hats.

Bit harsh there Lefty, we do have some reference to hats. Besides, pretty much everything mentioned takes place under a hat. It's all about proximity really. What I think you mean is that 'This thread is not solely about hats".

True. Sometimes threads, like normal conversations, meander from their original course. My orginal intent was for those lawyers who have a predilection for hats and vintage things to congregate, talk shop and share pics of said hats and vintage things.

It has clearly become more than that - a bit of a legal lifestyle chat with an overlay of hats and vintage things.

The important thing is that it's meeting a need and we are all enjoying each others company.

So have a drink with us Lefty. I recommend the Aussie shiraz and brother Torts reckons the King Island Roaring Forties cheese is a rip snorter. I concur.

And if some kind bartender would like to move us down the hall to a comfortable room in the Observation Bar, none of us would object or mount an appeal.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
AR Banjo said:
I'm a deputy prosecutor in northeast Arkansas; handle drug cases exclusively.

Like others here, law wasn't my first career. I spent time in the army before law school. Still in the National Guard.

Favorite pens--wartime Vacumatics and Skylines.

Spats, where you trying to get on as a DPA?

I actually think this is my first post.....

G'day brother Banjo. You share the name of Australia's national poet, Banjo Paterson, whose photo I use as my avatar.

Welcome to the Lawyers in Lids Room. Let me shout you a drink. (To 'shout' being Aussie slang for 'buy').

But it'll cost you some pics of those pens you mentioned!

memphislawyer

Practically Family
AR Banjo said:
Lot less than 100 miles!

I can't PM yet--send me a PM if you would.

Cant pm you yet, lol. My wife's family is from Blytheville and I have family in Osceola. Also Mountain Home and an attorney-uncle in Pine Bluff.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Spats McGee said:
This thread is entitled "Lawyers in Lids," so without further ado:

That's the spirit Spats! Now....what is it? Stetson? Resistol??

Casual, yet somehow regal and legal! Especially with the learned tomes behind you.

I'm in my Royal Stetson 1958 Trilby today. Pics later.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Ephraim Tutt said:
That's the spirit Spats! Now....what is it? Stetson? Resistol??

Casual, yet somehow regal and legal! Especially with the learned tomes behind you.

I'm in my Royal Stetson 1958 Trilby today. Pics later.

I was eyeing Spats "learned tomes" myself, but that's an occupational hazzard.

DG

Spats McGee

One Too Many
That's the Resistol Frankenhat. I'm still working on getting the brim just right. Overall, I like it for a casual hat, though.

Those learned tomes . . . I kept most of my law school casebooks & hornbooks, and I keep those in the middle section of the credenza. If you look at the lower left and right corners, those red and black books are from the Arkansas Code Annotated. One of the better investments I made when I opened my practice, without a doubt.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Spats McGee said:
That's the Resistol Frankenhat. I'm still working on getting the brim just right. Overall, I like it for a casual hat, though.

Those learned tomes . . . I kept most of my law school casebooks & hornbooks, and I keep those in the middle section of the credenza. If you look at the lower left and right corners, those red and black books are from the Arkansas Code Annotated. One of the better investments I made when I opened my practice, without a doubt.

Good man. Never trust a lawyer that does not own a set of his states code (regardless of who publishes it).

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Yep, brother Spats, that Arkansas Code looks might learned. I still have a few of my law school books on the shelf - but they're pretty much out of date. That's the problem with law - it's always evolving. I've also picked up a few antique law books along the way, including recently some old WWII vintage volumes Queensland Parliamentary Debates with their leather bindings.

They make me look learned sitting there on the shelf. But the truth is that I do most of my legal research these days online. I hardly open a book at all (except for a few favourite - and current - ethics volumes).

So THAT'S the celebrated Frankenhat! Kudos!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Doublegun said:
Fly fishing, left that one off my list of excesses and probably shoudn't have. Being lawyers I imagine many of you have read (or seen) Anatomy of a Murder, written by Robert Traver. If so then you probably know that Robert Traver (John Voelker) was a justice on the Michigan Supreme Court. This is what Justice Voelker had to say about fly-fishing:

I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun.
-John Voelker (Robert Traver )

For those of you who have not seen the movie or read the book I encourage you to find a copy and a comfortable chair and enjoy. (There are some great old hats in the movie as well as some memorable lines).

As for me, I swore off fly rods made of graphite 3-4 years ago when I cast my first bamboo rod. I just love the look and feel of a cane rod. I'll head north in a couple of weeks for several days of grouse hunting and fly fishing for brook trout, taking with me my English setters and a couple of books. This I look forward to all year.

I see your Robert Traver and raise you an Ephraim Tutt (Arthur Train)...

" As a boy when I went fishing with Cal Coolidge I always loved the pungent smell of dank earth, of rotten logs and leaf mould, of Indian grass and balsam fir, the fleckled sunlight on the rocks and eddies, the bright green moss, the golden brown cascades. I still love them, and I still love to fish; but I realize now that catching the fish is but a small fraction of the enjoyment derived from the feeling that one is part of nature."
(Yankee Lawyer - The Autobiography of Ephraim Tutt (1944) p363)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just took the NY Bar in July, waiting for my results. Currently working at the 2nd Dept Appellate Court in Brooklyn.

This thread is such a boys' club! lol

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I just took the NY Bar in July, waiting for my results. Currently working at the 2nd Dept Appellate Court in Brooklyn.

This thread is such a boys' club! lol

Miss Bella!
We've been waiting for you! We're not an intentional boys club but have just been waiting for an application for admission from a lady lawyer. And you're almost there!

What area of law do you see yourself prasticing in?

and in the meantime.....let me buy you a drink. The Aussie Shiraz is good!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
For today, I went with The Covington.

@ Miss_Bella_Hell: This has only been a boys' club, because no women have come by. Welcome aboard & good luck on that bar exam!

@ Ephraim Tutt: I do most of my research online, but the service that I use doesn't provide annotations to the statutes, so I frequently find myself with book in hand. Besides, sometimes it's just nice to use the book. The keyboard just doesn't feel the same. The old hornbooks may be out of date, but sometimes, I just *know* that there's an old case that I need and they're a great place to start research.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Miss Bella Hell, you are certainly welcome to pull up a chair and join in. I followed your posts on another thread and I am a big fan of yours.

Doublegun

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Lawyers in Lids: A Change of name and venue

Fellow members of the Lawyers in Lids Room, I'm sure we will all agree that the direction of this thread has grown beyond its initial intention of lawyers sharing their love of hats and law.

With that in mind I requested that the thread be moved down the hall to more sumptious and larger accommodations offered in the Observation Bar. And with a tip of the vintage hat to Jimmy the Lid, the name has been changed to the Observation Bar Association.

I hope you approve of these changes and continue to use the facilities with the same enthusasm as before. And don't forget the pics!

New members of the Bar Association welcome. Come on in, share a story of the law, life and vintage stuff and enjoy an Aussie Shiraz with Roaring 40's cheese.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
anon` said:
What, no Oregon pinots? To say nothing of scotch, port and the occasional cocktail? ;)

G'day anon. I've been waiting and hoping for someone to recommend some of your local tipple. Set 'em up and we'll knock 'em down.

We're lawyers and we drink, enjoy good conversation and vintage hats!

Are the local pinots good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe