Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At home repro

Vanessa

One Too Many
I've said it before but. . .beautiful job, Lauren! Makes me want to start a Victorian! (well, almost).

maisie

Practically Family
Wow those dresses are fab!! The just look like they could have come out the wardrobe department of a film!!

decodoll

Practically Family
I finished this outfit yesterday about 7:00 pm and then wore it to the Gaskell's Ball the same night....talk about cutting it close. :D It's from a 1940 pattern. Please ignore my flat hair (curls deserted me as soon as I stepped out the door...) and slight rumpledness! :confused:

gaskellsdress.jpg

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks, Lauren and Vanessa. :) After seeing all the wonderful Victorian gowns at the Ball, I have to make a gown for myself with a big bustle! I have to start saving money for all that fabric!

Dixon's Dame

Familiar Face
Wow wow and WOW!! You ladies create wonderful outfits! I absolutely love the pictures posted. I so want to learn how to make clothes like that. I was just contemplating getting a sewing machine and learning to make pants for myself (I'm rather tall and have a small waist and the dept stores simply don't make pants that don't hang off me in every direction). Now I want to make dresses too! I've, um, never used a sewing machine before, though I've made all kinds of costumes by hand before. I saw some recommendations above about checking the local Junior College for sewing classes, so I'm going to do that right away. I'm also going to check out the sewing machines that were mentioned that you gals like.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Oh My! All these made pieces are beautiful! I am impressed by all of your skill! I can only hope these 2 new outfits I am making turn out 1/2 as good as yours have! I will try to post photos when I am done. Only problem is that I only have a camera phone and it isn't very high quality. Great job everyone!

Tin Pan Sally

My latest projects:
A friend gave me these early patterns and buttons to go with some vintage fabric I have. The skirt is copyright '44, the striped dress is '48.
A widower (who worked with an ex-beaufriend of mine) gave me 3 boxes of fabric and notions his wife had. It was all OLD. I have wide stripe fabric in tan/brown and tan/navy, so I'll have to decide which to use first. This should keep me busy while I recoop.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
OOOooohh! LOVE the skirt pattern! Sounds like you'll have fun with the boxes! It's so fun to be a sewer, especially when older people are getting rid of their stashes :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Am I the only one who is having a hard time finding decent prints and fabrics that are not 100% polyester? It seems like anything that has a hint of a vintage look is polyester. Should I just admit defeat and get the polyester? :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thank you, MysteryGal!

LolitaHaze, I would opt to buy vintage fabric if I were you. It's hard to find vintage looking prints that aren't in polyester that are modern, unless they're the repro feedsack cotton that quilters use. You can make cute housedresses and aprons and things out of that, but for dresses keep looking for prints in rayon, make them in solids, or get vintage fabrics. That's my suggestion, anyways :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I was thinking about starting to buy the vintage fabrics, but I tend to do everything last min so having to order online would take too long. Also I am such a novice sewer that I would hate to waste the fabric by making something so shotty. Is there a good source of vintage fabric other than Ebay?

Is it hard to find enough fabric to meet the projects requirements?

decodoll

Practically Family
I love to shop ebay for vintage fabrics. I haven't had too hard a time finding decent lengths, but sometimes you do find a fabulous fabric in only a small amount that you just can't pass up. These actually force you to be creative in piecing them with other fabrics and can be lots of fun. In a book I have written by a milliner in the 1940's she talks about how she was always her most creative when she didn't have enough of any one fabric to make an entire dress. However, it can be a bit nerve racking making that first cut into what may be the last length of that particular fabric anywhere and you may want to delay working with vintage fabrics until you are more practiced. :)

Now onto my latest project.... :) I hope you like it.

FrenchLavenderHat.jpg
FrenchLavenderHatDetail.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally