Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At home repro

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
ITG said:
Lauren,
RE: The brown coat that Matt asked about: Did you make it or is it actual vintage? I loved that coat on you last year.

Yes, I did make it! It's from a vintage Mccall pattern from about 1935, if I remember correctly. I had to size it down because it was nearly 8 sizes too big for me! It's one of my favorite coats I have. Thanks :)

I made a 1933 Mccall coat before I went to Scotland. I'll have to take a pic of that too...

Lauren

rubyredlocks said:
Ladies,your talent amazes me.I would have thought all the items pictured were museum quality peices.
How did everyone get started? Did you grow up around family that could sew?
I'd love to take classes,but don't think this is an area that I would be talented in.

Thanks so much! That truly is a compliment, since we're going for authenticity!

I learned to sew by hand from my cousin, who started me sewing doll dresses and Renaissance costumes when I was about 8. My mom showed me a bit, my great aunt showed me a bit, then I took quilting classes with my mom which taught me that seam width was really something I shouldn't have neglected! I went to the Fashion Institute of Desing and Merchandising and graduated with a degree in Fashion Design. I've been sewing ever since, and started my own business three years ago working full time, but now I do it part time and have a desk job.

That's the (edited and abreviated) story of my sewing. I realized my other entry was too dang long!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Hi there. . .I make repro's too. I've had my nose to the sewing machine this past week so missed this thread.
That's a great coat, Lauren! We're going to have a huge pattern swap in November. :rolleyes:

Lauren

Thanks, gals! Here's the progress so far. Never mind the no sleeves no train look, it's much easier for a first fitting if they're not there. I used the Truly Victorian line of patterns for the base for the top and skirt, then modified them to suit my needs:
addi01.jpg

addi02.jpg

And Miss Vanessa, I believe you just made some things (hint hint ;) )

decodoll

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Thank you! How did your skirt come out? What's everyone got it the works for this month?

Unfortunately, I never got around to it. My husband invited friends over and so I spent the time cleaning and grocery shopping. What I wouldn't give for a sewing room so that I could sew without taking over the whole living room, and it would be hidden away when guests come over!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Gals, I'm amazed at what all you can do. Such talent! I only wish I had learned from my grandma when I was little. Lord knows she wanted to teach her grand daughters but we just weren't interested. Oh what a foolish child I was!

Lauren, I think I have that same table that's in the background of the pic you just posted. I inherited mine from my grandparents.

Lauren

LOL! I think I know lots of people with that table now :) Unfortunately ours is somewhat falling apart. Two of the chairs have completely split at their seats! (sounds like something a poorly made pair of trousers does).

I posted this in the vintage expo thread, but here's a house dress circa 1934 that I made from a vintage Mccall pattern. I need to make the poor thing a decent belt! Luckliy I picked up a buckle at the expo that will do nicely:
me05.jpg

Lauren

Apologies to those I took the pictures from...
QM_ladies.jpg

There's my newest creation! The back, ginger rogers inspired dress. I drafted the patterns on my form and made it completely by myself. My first really big project in a few years.
IMG_1339-vi.jpg

And there's my new brown suit, made from a pattern from 1935
qm22.jpg

This is a coat I made from a vintage pattern from 1934, I believe. Not a very good pic. I'll have to take a better one later.

16_sparrows

Vendor
Sewing Machines

What kind of sewing machines do you ladies use to make your wonderful creations? I have a Singer FeatherWeight II, which frankly, is just not meeting my expectations.
linkeroo to image: http://img.idealo.de/folder/Product/297/3/297316/produktbild_gross.gif

I constantly have serious troubles with the bobbin tension and find it quite diffcult to get nice, tight, straight stitches. I've really been wanting to make my own repos, but am quite concerned this machine will make it quite diffuclt, so I've been looking for a new one.

Lauren

I have a Pfaff. I love the thing. It can take a beating, and if you get them serviced frequently they will last forever. Something cool about it too, although it is an expensive machine, the store I bought it from offers free lifetime lessons on the machine and 1 year of free service. They also sell used machines. Maybe there's somewhere in your area there's a place that sells the machines that offers something similar. On the website you can read more about the machines and look up dealers:

http://www.pfaffusa.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally