Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thought I saw a thread about all of the various levels, but can't find it now.

It’s secret. I’m only a level 64 journeyman Lounger so I haven’t been through all the initiations (it’s harder than you think to find a gallon of chicken blood). All the “likes” will make a nice little nest egg for when you cash them out when you retire.

...prizes given for personal milestones such as number of posts and likes received.

02defd8cb05beb7d3e26b3dbf1bfba2b.jpeg

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Ok, I have a question. I have been reading a LOT about the various and sundry vintage Stetson 3X models and their history. Everything from nice westerns to dress fedoras including some Stetson 15's as well as 60's suede finish stingy brims.:eek: Now this 3X seems to have a great deal of history as well as crossover between westerns and fedora's, more than any other Stetson designation it seems. SO, my question.....is there a DEDICATED thread to the Stetson 3X and all it's history and incarnations here on the Lounge? If so, I cannot seem to find one. And IF NOT, what do you think we (vintage) 3X owners should perhaps start one??????????
best,
M

I think that would be a useful thread. I have several across 3 decades and would love to post them and compare them with those others have.

Stetson 3X Tread STARTED!!!!! https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...able-legend-the-stetson-3x-before-1970.94192/
M;)

MondoFW

Practically Family
Apologies if this has already been covered in a previous thread. Are there any particular vintage felt hat models that can withstand rain without noticeable shrinkage? I have heard pure beaver hats aren't as prone to shrinkage.

Apologies if this has already been covered in a previous thread. Are there any particular vintage felt hat models that can withstand rain without noticeable shrinkage? I have heard pure beaver hats aren't as prone to shrinkage.

It's the sweat you have to worry about, not the felt. Vintage hats of any decent quality are pretty much "fully felted" and shouldn't suffer too many adverse effects.

Vintage sweatbands, however, are another story. Depending on the quality of the leather, a good soaking and drying out can wreak havoc and potentially ruin the sweatband.

As you may have guessed, there are several threads and discussions mixed throughout that cover the best ways to deal with a soaked vintage hat. If you poke around, you'll find some.

Then you'll do what the rest of us do. Buy a couple of Akubras and don't worry about your vintages. [emoji4]

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got a 50s Penney's Marathon soaked completely through when I was caught in a heavy rain shower in the middle of a walk. I just shook it off and set it on the shelf to dry. No damage whatsoever.

If I knew I was heading into rain I'd take an oilskin hat, a modern rain hat from Tilley, Columbia Sportswear, Outdoor Research, or the like or my Stratton western conversion to Outback. I emptied a can a fur felt rain proofing spray into it over the course of 2 days and it handles the rain real well.... although I'm not so sure the spray was needed.

I can't find the pic of it soaked, but this is an incident with a little less rain:

i-t6g94pS-M.jpg

And after:
i-62hBw64-L.jpg

A Penman Everyman Indy hat with rain:

i-QFZbz9x-M.jpg

i-JBCxdmM-L.jpg

I’ll add my vote to the prevailing opinions: umbrellas, true rain hats (I like Outdoor Research and CC Filson), or a modern Akubra. I don’t doubt that most vintage hats would come back from a soaking if properly cared for, but if a soaking is expected why subject a vintage hat to it? Unless you need your hands for other uses, the umbrella seems to be the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I’ll add my vote to the prevailing opinions: umbrellas, true rain hats (I like Outdoor Research and CC Filson), or a modern Akubra. I don’t doubt that most vintage hats would come back from a soaking if properly cared for, but if a soaking is expected why subject a vintage hat to it? Unless you need your hands for other uses, the umbrella seems to be the best option.

I always hide my hat under my shirt if I have to walk in the rain for a bit, no matter how light or heavy the rain is.
If you walk under an awning, the dripping watter will stain your hat. It happened with my first Optimo, and it took a lot to get the stain out.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Lots of hats, especially westerns/cowboy hats used to be made out of nutria (giant water rat) fur. Tough and durable, they stand up to the elements as well as anything available. Google nutria hats fedora lounge and all sorts of info will pop up.

You forgot to mention that nutria hats are also cheap, plentiful, and are mostly found in sizes larger than 7 1/2. ;)

I always hide my hat under my shirt if I have to walk in the rain for a bit, no matter how light or heavy the rain is.
If you walk under an awning, the dripping watter will stain your hat. It happened with my first Optimo, and it took a lot to get the stain out.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

One thing that will help with the staining is to regularly brush your hats. Often it is the dust on the hat that mixes with the rain that causes the water marks. It’s not a cure all, but it helps.

So, the election results are in...where will you be calling Home?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken