Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jsoffs

New in Town
I'm new to The Lounge and I've tried looking around so I don't ask anything that has previously been asked, so sorry if I'm repeating a question. My goal is to find out whether there are American made hats locally that are worth looking in to or is it best to order something online? I recently spent some time in Austria and I bought a really nice Zapf hat as a gift. Now the problem is, I want one for myself! Are there American made hats that are comparable to Zapf from Austria? And if so are any in the Colorado area? It would be ideal to try on the hat before I buy it but if I can't, at that point, it wouldn't matter where it came from. My impression was a hat from Zapf would last my lifetime and my children's lifetime and they have some really good quality. Like I said, I'm extremely new to anything Fedora oriented, so don't beat up on me too much. Thanks!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Hello all. Can anyone out there tell me the best alcohol to use when firing a hat?

To or three sidecars of 10 year old Laphroaig with a tiny dash of decalcified water can usually relaxe my pyrofobia :D

After that I spray the hat with a little denaturated alcohol and light it. Propylalcohol can also be used.

Important: Always place the spray bottle far away from the hat. It doesn't matter, if it take 5-10 seconds to put it away. In hot weather a cloud of alcohol gas can develop while spraying. It will dilute, while you put the bottle away and won't explode in your face.

You want just a little alcohol to sit in the surface of the felt. It's the fumes from that you ignite. Getting back to the hat, lift it up - and out of any newly build up cloud of fumes - and light it. The moving will spread any cloud of fumes.

I've seen the son of one my friends after the alcohol stove in his parents boat exploded in his face, when he was about to light it. There is no such a thing as "but it's just alcohol" in my World anymore! Please be careful - that's all ;)

humanshoes

One Too Many
Thanks, TheDane. I realized when I asked the question that I'd set myself up for the obligatory cocktail reference. Hah! As usual, you've proven to be a valuable source of the rather arcane knowledge of the hatter's art. One more question; I watched a video of the firing of a hat and the guy covered the brim so alcohol wouldn't get on it. It would seem to me that one would want to fire the brim as well. What is your opinion?

T Roy

New in Town
I have a question. Is there a brush that is gentle on fur felt hats to brush away lint. I have a mint green with emerald ribbon. The lint from the ribbon can be seen on the brim of the hat.

viclip

Practically Family
I have a question. Is there a brush that is gentle on fur felt hats to brush away lint. I have a mint green with emerald ribbon. The lint from the ribbon can be seen on the brim of the hat.

On-line hatters carry hat brushes in both light & dark bristle colors.
A soft horsehair shoe brush from your local department store will also work.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Need Help Identifying Hat Maker

I have this black wool fedora for sale in the classifieds. I can't make out the printing on the silk liner because of it's poor condition and it's very faded. The hat was made in Italy and I believe it's from the 20s or 30s. If anyone has good vision and can help Identifying the maker please let me know.

6b78ea80-345b-4316-87f0-cfa0db9efadc_zpsccfd795b.jpg

photo2-79_zpsc7bfc171.jpg

photo4-123_zpsf2d3305b.jpg

photo1-142_zpsea52b3c8.jpg

photo-5_zps46a1f3bb.jpg

c18f9a87-5268-468c-b05d-31a54ce77ba9_zps7cbeef3d.jpg

95abc9ce-04a8-46e2-bc39-74ab688c9390_zps0d572ca6.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
This is your lucky day! I sold this particular hat to Justin (SplintercellZ) a while back on eBay. It is a Fratelli Fiorenza. I think there is some connection with Borsalino, but that's not confirmed. I obtained this hat from a 57 year old woman whose father bought it in Italy. The other hat I got from her was an early 1950's Pilgrim. They were too big, or I would have kept them.

It is a _very_ nice wool felt - one of the best I've ever seen, and it may be a fur felt blend because it is so much softer than most wool felt hats you will ever touch. I believe it is a 1940's hat. The label was more legible before I washed the well stained liner in dawn dishwashing liquid - sorry about that, it was a learning experience. If you take it out and hold it to the light you will see it a little more clearly.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Purplesage

One Too Many
Thank you very much John I thought I bought it from Justin but wasn't sure. I does feel a little different then regular wool felt. It's in good shape except the liner as you said. I was wondering why the liner was so faded now I know.

David

John Galt

Vendor
It was a tough choice. It was grimy before, but disintegrated & faded badly when washed. It was sad, but I was comforted by the fact it was too big. Live & learn. Justin bought it just for the old initial pins that were in it originally (which also helped put a relatively early date on it). If you like the hat (I did), check out the thread I started a few weeks back regarding a very similar fine wool felt (possible blend) from the 40's I saw at a local antique shop. It might be available still.

Purplesage

One Too Many
The only thing I would have to say is I personally think it is a pre-40s hat based on the sweatband and hat features. The initial pins were more widely used in pre-40s hats from what I've seen. I have a couple of per-40 hats with the initial pins. On the other hand I'm no expert so I could be wrong. Anyway this is the first wool or wool blend felted hat that I've owned.

Has anyone ever heard of an adapter for a regular sewing machine to help sew sweatbands or brim edgings?

Thanks in advance.
There is a specific piece for binding brim edges for specific widths of ribbons. I know some custom hatters don't do 4 ligne ribbon edge binding but do larger, 6 ligne, because they don't have the right "jig".
I only know of specific sewing machines to sew in sweatbands not attachment/adapter....HTH

jsoffs

New in Town
I'm new to The Lounge and I've tried looking around so I don't ask anything that has previously been asked, so sorry if I'm repeating a question. My goal is to find out whether there are American made hats locally that are worth looking in to or is it best to order something online? I recently spent some time in Austria and I bought a really nice Zapf hat as a gift. Now the problem is, I want one for myself! Are there American made hats that are comparable to Zapf from Austria? And if so are any in the Colorado area? It would be ideal to try on the hat before I buy it but if I can't, at that point, it wouldn't matter where it came from. My impression was a hat from Zapf would last my lifetime and my children's lifetime and they have some really good quality. Like I said, I'm extremely new to anything Fedora oriented, so don't beat up on me too much. Thanks!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Never heard of Zapf, but I would be cautious of any modern hat saying to be heirloom quality...they just don't make em like they used to.

Lots of custom makers, but Hatco/Stetson is the only game in town as far as brand names.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe