Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
The only thing I would have to say is I personally think it is a pre-40s hat based on the sweatband and hat features. The initial pins were more widely used in pre-40s hats from what I've seen. I have a couple of per-40 hats with the initial pins. On the other hand I'm no expert so I could be wrong. Anyway this is the first wool or wool blend felted hat that I've owned.

This is your lucky day! I sold this particular hat to Justin (SplintercellZ) a while back on eBay. It is a Fratelli Fiorenza. I think there is some connection with Borsalino, but that's not confirmed. I obtained this hat from a 57 year old woman whose father bought it in Italy...

It is a _very_ nice wool felt - one of the best I've ever seen, and it may be a fur felt blend because it is so much softer than most wool felt hats you will ever touch. I believe it is a 1940's hat.

A very nice hat and another puzzler. In my eBay experience, I've often found seller recollections (especially of parent's trips and purchases in Europe) to be unreliable. It does have an old look to the dimensions of the ribbon and hat body, but remember that taped sweatbands were used on Italian Borsalino hats into the 1970s and perhaps later. Would it be odd to see "made in Italy" in English imprinted on a hat that was purchased in Italy? Not sure.

jsoffs

New in Town
Never heard of Zapf, but I would be cautious of any modern hat saying to be heirloom quality...they just don't make em like they used to.

Lots of custom makers, but Hatco/Stetson is the only game in town as far as brand names.

jlee562 - Thanks for getting back to me. I know Zapf has been around for a very long time in Austria so I'd be shocked if their quality isn't great. But like I said, I don't know much. Do you know of any custom makers in Colorado?

Thanks again.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
My goal is to find out whether there are American made hats locally that are worth looking in to or is it best to order something online?

I'm not sure where you live, but many large cities have hatters that make pretty nice hats. I live in Boston and Salmagundi in our area makes some very cool hats. I'd check. Good luck.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The initial pins were more widely used in pre-40s hats from what I've seen. I have a couple of per-40 hats with the initial pins. On the other hand I'm no expert so I could be wrong.

They have been in use for many decades. I just bought a Borsalino with two pins in the sweat. The back of the sweat was stamped "11. sep. 1964".

Would it be odd to see "made in Italy" in English imprinted on a hat that was purchased in Italy? Not sure.

I can buy a lot of things in Copenhagen, stamped "Made in Denmark" [huh]

Has anyone ever heard of an adapter for a regular sewing machine to help sew sweatbands or brim edgings?

Sweatbands are sewn in with different machines. For unreeded bands you use one type - and for reeded you use another type. These two types were both made by different makers and in different variations. The best known for reeded sweats are the "Singer 107-1" and the "ASM 1107" (I'm not 100% sure about the ASM number). I've never seen an adapter for this - and I can't imagine a suitable construction.

For brim binding you should use a machine with walking foot and a guide, made for this specific task. I have seen people use a usual household machine - but I do also see lots of poorly executed bindings.

I know Zapf has been around for a very long time in Austria so I'd be shocked if their quality isn't great.

So have Stetson, Borsalino, Mayser and others - but they all make low quality hats. Well, Stetson have just made two models, that seem okay ... the first okay hats from their hand since 1970. I guess, that most fedora wearers and collectors would be quite surprised, if Zapf really make quality hats. If so, I don't think the news have reached any European or American hat afficionados.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
A very nice hat and another puzzler. In my eBay experience, I've often found seller recollections (especially of parent's trips and purchases in Europe) to be unreliable. It does have an old look to the dimensions of the ribbon and hat body, but remember that taped sweatbands were used on Italian Borsalino hats into the 1970s and perhaps later. Would it be odd to see "made in Italy" in English imprinted on a hat that was purchased in Italy? Not sure.

Good point. I did meet this woman personally, but I don't think that changes the calculus. I just don't know.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

I know the challenge. The 1970s thin ribbon Borso I posted recently in the discussion about dating was purchased from a southwest gallery who was selling for a hat collector who insisted the hat was from the 1930s, with owner recollections to support it. The gold mine of information stored on the lounge is a very valuable tool for filling in the cracks in people's memories and dreams.

To the "made in Italy" mark... I don't know either. There were certainly European and Asian products made with an import market in mind and with English language markings. Borsalinos sold in Italian stores generally do not have the English notation that was included in production for the U.S. market. But I think for everything I think I know, there is another thing coming.

whoda thunk it

Yes... I can be a bit of a know-it-all.

YOda_900.jpg

Purplesage

One Too Many
Does Anyone Know Anything About Danway Hats?

Seeking knowledge about Danway Hats. It's a fantastic hat that's never been worn. For sale in the classifieds.

10f70eb5-40ca-430e-bcd4-c5244df4817b_zps510a3371.jpg

7d91be82-db40-4e56-9dcb-0e2c5241962e_zps85754123.jpg

photo5-198_zpsc311d831.jpg

photo5-200_zps7dfcea12.jpg

photo3-181_zps8b532ddf.jpg

photo2-194_zps7793d64a.jpg

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Jeff at Delmonico's offers a Lounge discount, some of the custom hatters do as well. Never got one at The Hattery or DM...

Tom we don't have a standard discount for Lounge members at this time. We will run specials on new hats that I think the members would like. Also like any good business we take care of our repeat customers.

Jeff

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
The only thing I would have to say is I personally think it is a pre-40s hat based on the sweatband and hat features. The initial pins were more widely used in pre-40s hats from what I've seen. I have a couple of per-40 hats with the initial pins. On the other hand I'm no expert so I could be wrong. Anyway this is the first wool or wool blend felted hat that I've owned.

If I remember correctly, I believed it to be from the 1910s-1920s.

Tom we don't have a standard discount for Lounge members at this time. We will run specials on new hats that I think the members would like. Also like any good business we take care of our repeat customers.

Jeff
Thanks for clarifying Jeff. I purposely stated that it was your offer, not a store one, just should have used "offered" instead of making it sound like a standing one. MANY thanks for what you do for us addicts....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe