Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
How do I fix the wind trolley?

Bill,

There should be a little loop at the end of the button. Unwrap the cord from the hat, and extend the cord through the loop, like a lasso. Then you can put the trolley over the crown and pull the lasso tight against the ribbon/crown.

Check out this thread.

And please post some detailed pics of the hat in The School of Hard Knox when you can. That stitched brim is wonderful!

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bill,

There should be a little loop at the end of the button. Unwrap the cord from the hat, and extend the cord through the loop, like a lasso. Then you can put the trolley over the crown and pull the lasso tight against the ribbon/crown.

Check out this thread.

And please post some detailed pics of the hat in The School of Hard Knox when you can. That stitched brim is wonderful!

No loop on this trolley. Was think I'd just use a slip knot.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
It seems that hats of modern manufacture (save for hand-made hats) aren't held in high esteem. Would someone take the time and explain this one to me?

Thank you.
it really comes down to two things in my opinion ... demand and competition

there is no demand for quality hats so people settle for whatever a given major conglomerate that basically ate up every major hat company's name puts out

and second ... the fact that these companies who used to be in competition are all basically just a name made by the same company there is no competition

competition is a huge part of what kept hats in the golden years wonderful

everyone was trying to out do each other ... trying to get the most dense felt ... the lightest weight hats ... the highest quality product at the best price point ... that is why we see so many "clones" ... all the wonderful model names ... all the gorgeous ads ...

all these companies were heavily protecting the proprietary secrets to their formulas and process from each other

those are the things that made the product great

all of that is gone ... and with it the quality

Last edited:

Captain O

One of the Regulars
it really comes down to two things in my opinion ... demand and competition

there is no demand for quality hats so people settle for whatever a given major conglomerate that basically ate up every major hat company's name puts out

and second ... the fact that these companies who used to be in competition are all basically just a name made by the same company there is no competition

competition is a huge part of what kept hats in the golden years wonderful

everyone was trying to out do each other ... trying to get the most dense felt ... the lightest weight hats ... the highest quality product at the best price point ... that is why we see so many "clones" ... all the wonderful model names ... all the gorgeous ads ...

all these companies were heavily protecting the proprietary secrets to their formulas and process from each other

those are the things that made the product great

all of that is gone ... and with it the quality

Now I understand completely. Soon I'll have a well-made example of this. This constitutes a "hat's off" to Mike at Northwest Hats. I'll be going for Beaver fur and either the Whippet or his unique "Seeing Double" style. (This particular design is quite intriguing).

Again, thanks to all that responded.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Now I understand completely. Soon I'll have a well-made example of this. This constitutes a "hat's off" to Mike at Northwest Hats. I'll be going for Beaver fur and either the Whippet or his unique "Seeing Double" style. (This particular design is quite intriguing).

Mike's done 2 for me. Both great. He has a good selection of brim flanges as well. Just be specific as to the details yer lookin for.

Curious, Captain. Do you own or have you handled many vintage fedoras? That is, say, pre-1960, preferably, pre-1955? Have you ever handled a real vintage Whippet?

Because you really must to understand the differences in quality, materials, and construction Moon is referring to. Even our most talented and meticulous custom hatters can only approximate what was being made back when the competition was fierce and the demand was high. And the further back you go, the better they get. A 30s, 40s product is a quantum level above a 1950s hat.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Curious, Captain. Do you own or have you handled many vintage fedoras? That is, say, pre-1960, preferably, pre-1955? Have you ever handled a real vintage Whippet?

Because you really must to understand the differences in quality, materials, and construction Moon is referring to. Even our most talented and meticulous custom hatters can only approximate what was being made back when the competition was fierce and the demand was high. And the further back you go, the better they get. A 30s, 40s product is a quantum level above a 1950s hat.
100% truth

even an absolute master custom hat maker can only work with the materials available to him ... and those materials just are not what they once were unfortunately

Captain O

One of the Regulars

Sorry, but no I haven't. They sound great.

Even our most talented and meticulous custom hatters can only approximate what was being made back when the competition was fierce and the demand was high. And the further back you go, the better they get. A 30s, 40s product is a quantum level above a 1950s hat.
In all fairness the hats today made by very talented & meticulous hatters should be given up to 70 yrs of everyday pouncing in all kinds of conditions to receive a fair evaluation. Unfortunately none of us will be around then to make it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe