Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
If you are using Internet Explorer 8 you can go to Tools, Internet Options, General, Accessibility and click on "Ignore colors specified on webpages" and it will change everything to a white background with black text.

You can also ignore font styles and sizes if you wish.

JimWagner

Practically Family
In Mozilla Firefox you can use Tools -> Content -> Colors -> uncheck "Allow pages to choose their own colors", uncheck "Use system colors" and the pick your own text and background colors.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are "puggarees", whatever these are, a favorable add-on to a hat?

I only see one thread devoted to Puggarees, and I'm not sure if they're common enough to warrant starting a thread about it.

theinterchange

One Too Many
JimWagner said:
In Mozilla Firefox you can use Tools -> Content -> Colors -> uncheck "Allow pages to choose their own colors", uncheck "Use system colors" and the pick your own text and background colors.

I just tried this, it looks ODD to see this site with a white background!

Randy

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Neophyte said:

I only see one thread devoted to Puggarees, and I'm not sure if they're common enough to warrant starting a thread about it.
Sure,a puggaree thread might be interesting.Here's some links that might help get a discussion going.
Akubra with puggaree and chin strap
http://www.akubra-usa.com/slouch.html
Puggaree, the hat band, it's origins
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniforms/puggaree.htm
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniforms/nz-puggaree.htm

Torpedo

One Too Many
Neophyte said:

I would say puggarees are a more casual version of ribbon; this said, from solid coloured to loud patterns, you have plenty to choose. They seem to be more popular on straw hats, but by no means are they restricted to them.

(Of course, anything other than a medium-to-wide ribbon with a lateral bow, made of silk or similar, and in a conservative solid colour, is generally considered more casual: back bows, thin ribbons, patterned ribbons, puggarees, leather, feathers, etc etc. Admittedly some of these are more decidedly casual than others.)

Cool1

New in Town
Need Repair for Royal Stetson, Genuine Panama

About twenty five years ago, I bought a straw at a garage sale, for a couple of bucks. It's been through the ringer over the years and it's beaten, battered, but still way cool, as the weave is so very fine.

The label reads Royal Stetson, Genuine Panama.

In any event, I am wondering if anyone knows of s a place where I might have this hat restored. There are some pretty major issues, a few tears, etc., and it may well be beyond fixing. But as I am new here I am hoping some of you might have some suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
C1

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Stefeno

Does anyone know about Stefeno hats?Are they decent quality?Is the inside of Stefeno fur felt hats lined?Do they come with a Stefeno hat box?
Any thoughts or opinions about Stefeno will be very helpful?

danofarlington

Cool1 said:
About twenty five years ago, I bought a straw at a garage sale, for a couple of bucks. It's been through the ringer over the years and it's beaten, battered, but still way cool, as the weave is so very fine.

The label reads Royal Stetson, Genuine Panama.

In any event, I am wondering if anyone knows of s a place where I might have this hat restored. There are some pretty major issues, a few tears, etc., and it may well be beyond fixing. But as I am new here I am hoping some of you might have some suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
C1
Baron Hats in Los Angeles did a good job re-blocking a very fine Panama hat that I had. Blocking-wise, probably a number of shops can handle it. As for the tears, there is advice here on the Lounge about that mostly involving textile tape on the inside of the hat. I think the hat shops don't want to mess with tears. There is the chance that the hat will get worse and the customer blame the hat shop, so it's tricky. I have a vintage Stetson Panama of very good weave, which has a tear or two, but it was definitely worth fixing. A very good weave. If yours is of a tight weave, it would really be a Panama hat, as opposed to a "straw hat" which is basically a cheapie.

Cool1

New in Town
Panama Weave

danofarlington said:
Baron Hats in Los Angeles did a good job re-blocking a very fine Panama hat that I had. Blocking-wise, probably a number of shops can handle it. As for the tears, there is advice here on the Lounge about that mostly involving textile tape on the inside of the hat. I think the hat shops don't want to mess with tears. There is the chance that the hat will get worse and the customer blame the hat shop, so it's tricky. I have a vintage Stetson Panama of very good weave, which has a tear or two, but it was definitely worth fixing. A very good weave. If yours is of a tight weave, it would really be a Panama hat, as opposed to a "straw hat" which is basically a cheapie.

Thanks for the advice. I am sure you are right that most hatters don't want to fool around with repairs to Panamas. I feel pretty certain this is a Panama as opposed to a straw. The weave is exceptionally tight and fine, on the order of the high end Montecristis. I wish I could find a genuine craftsman to undertake the repair, but I suspect that's unlikely. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask, though.

All the best,
C1

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Leather hat bands

I have a couple of hats that have leather hat bands instead of a grosgrain ribbon?I have a Dobbs Gator and a Bailey Gahan.I like the way a leather hat band looks.But I can't find many fedoras for sale that come with a leather hat band.Does anyone know of any custom hatters that will make hats with a leather hat band instead of a grosgrain ribbon?

theinterchange

One Too Many
I've been on the hunt for a casual white buttondown shirt that isn't practically see through. Anyone have a brand/store suggestion of one that's not x-ray?

I may have to inquire over in the general attire section, but thought I'd start here.

Thanks,

Randy

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Here you go. You just want up to .jpg of the IMG code.

Cool1 said:
I cannot for the life of me get the images to load so that they are visible on the site. That said, here are links to some pics of a Royal Stetson Genuine Panama I picked up in a garage sale about fifteen years ago.

It was a little ragged then, and considerably more so now, but it's still a beauty. Barbecue, blues and beer make the blemishes fade; it's summer in South Téjas and the time is right:

P8210072.jpg

P8210075.jpg

P8210073.jpg

Best,
C1

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Cool1 said:
It was a little ragged then, and considerably more so now, but it's still a beauty.

It's a cool hat but too far gone. You can ask around. But I don't think anyone who repairs hats will want to touch that one. That's my opinion anyway. ;)

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
theinterchange said:
I've been on the hunt for a casual white buttondown shirt that isn't practically see through. Anyone have a brand/store suggestion of one that's not x-ray?

I may have to inquire over in the general attire section, but thought I'd start here.

Thanks,

Randy
You might want to consider shirts by Joseph Abboud.I have a couple of white Joseph Abboud shirts.They have thick enough cotton fabric that that the shirts aren't see through.You can usually find discounted prices on Joseph Abboud shirts at overstock.com

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
theinterchange said:

Thanks,

Randy

Back in my "preppy" days, I used to wear the Lands End Hyde Park Oxford shirts. They were quite "beefy." They still sell them here.

Neophyte

Oi, so I got a question for you Loungers out there.

The block of the Akubra Campdraft is the most oval of all the hats I own, yet it is still VERY snug when place evenly on the top of my head. By that I mean that the front of the sweatband makes contact with my forehead about .5''-1'' above my eyebrow, and the back, well, is level and directly across.

I guess a better way of saying it is that it's level and not at an angle. It's quite snug.

I've come up with two answers to this problem. One is that I may be a Long Oval. The other is that the hat may just be sitting too low on my head, or isn't meant to be worn level.

Can you guys help me with this? I'm not too familiar with blocks, ovals, or in fact how exactly to wear a hat lol! Whatever we come up with may decide both my future hat purchases and possible alterations to my current hats, so all answers are appreciated.

Thanks guys!

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
It would seem a large percentage of people are Long Oval. Why they are so difficult to purchase "off the rack" is, in my opinion, a real shoot yourself in the foot move to an industry trying for some sort of resurgence. I've spayed my CD good and wet and wore it till it dried. Wearing it in the rain is a lot more satisfying and the hat will be better for it. You can buy LO stretchers but if too much is needed (XLO) you get a very exaggerated brim curve.
Tom D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe