Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
BanjoMerlin said:
According to what I've seen, the Imperial and Superfine are two different finishes of their Standard Quality hat. Since the Superfine is what they use in the military hats I'm thinking it is probably the more robust finish, less likely to show the effects of wear.

So no quality difference between Imperial and Superfine felt. Does yours have a liner? The military hats don't.

Fantastic. Durability is a good thing. No it does not have a liner, just a little patch at the top.
Photo19-1.jpg

BanjoMerlin said:
According to what I've seen, the Imperial and Superfine are two different finishes of their Standard Quality hat. Since the Superfine is what they use in the military hats I'm thinking it is probably the more robust finish, less likely to show the effects of wear.

So no quality difference between Imperial and Superfine felt. Does yours have a liner? The military hats don't.
My Squatter is a Superfine/Featherweight & is much lighter than my Imperial Quality Campdrafts. I consider Imperial to be a standard "dress" weight felt where the Featherweight is not that heavy. JMHO

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mr Vim said:
So I am looking at a hat that is described as being Sage, but the color inthe photo does not look Sage, it looks more a heather gray... does anyone have experience with the color Sage? What colors dooes it match with?

The hat may in fact be an entirely different color than the photo indicates if the color of the light and camera settings did not match. However, sage is usually a gray-green(could be towards either of the two). Goes well with yellow,tans,browns. Some greens or grays depending on the hue(if not towards the bluer end of the range) more challenging. Black or white always possible. Pink, salmon, magenta or reds possibly as well if you are comfortable with that.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
My Squatter is a Superfine/Featherweight & is much lighter than my Imperial Quality Campdrafts. I consider Imperial to be a standard "dress" weight felt where the Featherweight is not that heavy. JMHO

I've found other info that seems to indicate the Superfine is a lighter weight felt than the Imperial and the Heritage is also lighter weight felt (with a smoother finish) than the Imperial. But the military hats are Superfine quality and don't seem to be lightweights and the Sydney is supposed to be lighter weight but finer fur than the Imperial.

So maybe they have Superfine/Featherweight, Superfine/Standard, Imperial, whatever-the-Sydney-is-made-of and Heritage?

Akubra doesn't seem to have anything to say about it. Maybe they should just use X's and admit they really don't want tell us...

BanjoMerlin said:
.... Maybe they should just use X's and admit they really don't want tell us...
lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I don't have a Heritage grade Akubra but have thought it to be the same weight as the Imperial but with more pouncing done to get a much nicer finish which would also take some weight off as well. Sort of like when comparing my Stetson 25 to my Stetson 100. They appear to be of the same weight of felt but finished much differently with pouncing, sweatband, liner, etc.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I don't have a Heritage grade Akubra but have thought it to be the same weight as the Imperial but with more pouncing done to get a much nicer finish which would also take some weight off as well. Sort of like when comparing my Stetson 25 to my Stetson 100. They appear to be of the same weight of felt but finished much differently with pouncing, sweatband, liner, etc.

Mmmm - not quite that simple it seems to me.

I have two Banjo Patersons (Heritage felt) and the thickness on them is comparable to my Deluxe Federations (also Heritage). However, I also have an Akubra Lightning Ridge that is Heritage felt, but it is thicker - on a par with the Imperial felt hats I have - more of a typical "cowboy" hat felt thickness.

I put a caliper to these brims once, and got: B.P. = 2.25 mm, L.R. = 2.90 mm (29% thicker). It doesn't look like much in numbers, but you know the difference the instant you pick one up. Also the weight of the L.R. is exactly 29% more!

I don't have any in Superfine, but also heard that it's a different finish on Imperial felt. But they might do that in different weights (thicknesses), say for the Slouch vs dress hats?

jbucklin

Practically Family
Mr Vim said:
So I am looking at a hat that is described as being Sage, but the color inthe photo does not look Sage, it looks more a heather gray... does anyone have experience with the color Sage? What colors dooes it match with?

I just bought this sage Stetson 2 days ago. The lighting in this photo brings out more of the grey shade:
Photo113.jpg

And the lighting in this one brings out more of the green:
Photo118.jpg

Woodfluter

Practically Family
BanjoMerlin said:
3X, 4X, 5X, 7X, 10X, 100X ...

So much simpler. Don't know what they really mean but at least more is better (at least for a specific time period)!

Ha! Well, mostly so I guess! But even then, from what I hear, not absolutely.

Now if I were devising this scheme, not from a sales but a manufacturing viewpoint, I'd put together a four-letter code for each hat reflecting (grade of materials) (thickness of felt) (finishing process) (how well it actually turned out). The last bit being subject to the vagaries of natural materials and variable processes. But they aren't going to consult me on the matter, that's for sure.

- Bill

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Woodfluter said:
Ha! Well, mostly so I guess! But even then, from what I hear, not absolutely.
- Bill

That's why I put in the disclaimer "(at least for a specific time period)"

Since they don't actually tell us what 3X means they are free to change the meaning as time goes by.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I'm sure this question has been discussed somewhere in the past, but none of my searching has been successful so I'll post it again. Is there a simple, do-it-yourself way to stiffen a brim that's too soft and floppy to hold a snap?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
I'm sure this question has been discussed somewhere in the past, but none of my searching has been successful so I'll post it again. Is there a simple, do-it-yourself way to stiffen a brim that's too soft and floppy to hold a snap?

Try Scout Felt Hat Stiffener. Should do the trick. :)

279.jpg

There is also Kahl Hat Stiffener. Some like this product better than the Scout stuff.

KahlsHatStiffener.jpg

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Mario said:
Try Scout Felt Hat Stiffener. Should do the trick. :)
There is also Kahl Hat Stiffener.Some like this product better than the Scout stuff.
I have a Bailey Gahan.It's a fur felt with a 1&1/2 inch brim.The brim is made of really thin felt.The brim is too soft to snap up or down.It just kind of sticks right out.And the brim is very wavy which makes the hat look rather sloppy. It's been like this since it was brand new.The brim was wavy right out of the box.Will stiffener help with this problem?Will it maybe get the waves out of the brim?

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
More of an administrative site question...

...FL by far is my favorite site of its kind on the web. I would be able to spend a lot more time (and post more) if not the for website colors.

-Am I the only one whose eyes quickly tire from the yellow/white lettering on black site color scheme? I can't browse here for more than 10 minutes or so without getting a headache (and blurry vision) from the stark contrast from the text on the black background. Is there any way I can change my browser settings (FireFox) so the site colors are different?
I apologize in advance if this has been addressed in other post(s), but I searched and could not find anything.

-Also, is there a way I can change my username/account email without having to wipe out my account and start over?

Many thanks.

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
Thanks for the response.

<p>
zetwal said:
While others try to figure out how to answer your questions. Look here. And welcome! http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=31854&amp;highlight=poll
I would have tried to stick it out with the current color scheme, I'm just trying to avoid having my eyes turn 'vintage' prematurely! I did find a FF extension that works better than disabling the 'page style' through the 'View' menu in FF. Search for 'NoSquint' in the FF Extensions site.</p>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe