Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roan

One of the Regulars
I've got a question; I recently got my first velour fedora and after thinking about it I started wondering: will the felt lose it's finish from excessive handling and, if so, would brushing the hat after wearing help this?

- R

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I've got a question; I recently got my first velour fedora and after thinking about it I started wondering: will the felt lose it's finish from excessive handling and, if so, would brushing the hat after wearing help this?

- R

Brushing any hat is good practice. I wouldn't worry about it losing its finish. I own 5 Pre-WWI Velours and they still have their sheen and finish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

- R

Yes, any felt will wear down from "excessive" handling. Just look at most photos of Johnny Depp & you'll see what will happen to the front pinch if "excessively" handled. Velour is no different but may take longer due to fiber length???

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Yes, any felt will wear down from "excessive" handling. Just look at most photos of Johnny Depp & you'll see what will happen to the front pinch if "excessively" handled. Velour is no different but may take longer due to fiber length???

I forgot to add that moths love velour. .. Yum.

As with any hat, and many things in life, they naturally wear down. Some longer than others. But wear and tear just adds character and stories.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Roan

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. When I said excessive handling I was primarily meaning wearing the same hat for the whole winter. It's a very warm hat and fits quite well so given the current weather I'm rather enjoying wearing it, plus it's my only black fedora. Perhaps I'll give it a good brushing on a weekly basis just to keep it in shape. :)

Thanks again,
- R

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Sterkowski Fedora?

Anyone have any experience with these? They are rabbit fur and cheap enough.

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks guys. When I said excessive handling I was primarily meaning wearing the same hat for the whole winter. It's a very warm hat and fits quite well so given the current weather I'm rather enjoying wearing it, plus it's my only black fedora. Perhaps I'll give it a good brushing on a weekly basis just to keep it in shape. :)

Thanks again,
- R

I believe hats should be treated like dogs. Brushed often & walked frequently in the rain.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
Here's a related question--couldn't excessive brushing cause just as much (or more) damage as excessive handling?

I believe this is unlikely if you've got a good hat brush, but certain if you don't. A whisk broom is sure to cause some damage, but a nice brushing with a proper soft hat brush should just remove the dust.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

viclip

Practically Family
I need a snowblower hat.
Weatherproof, it must have a large brim so that I could lower my head for protection whenever the wind gusts the snow back into my face. Also it would need to be secured with a chin strap in order to thwart the best efforts of the wind to dislodge it.
So far the ideal candidate seems to be the pre-hooked David Morgan version of the 4" brimmed Akubra Territory:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=6

Can anyone pass on their thoughts regarding that hat &/or recommend another?

I have quite a few western hats that are 4" brims but most are curled up at the edges per that style.
I have 2 Akubra "work" hats that I regularly wear outdoors for wind & sun protection, the Bushman & Boss of the Plains.
I don't live up in Canada but the Bushman with a chin strap is my prefered foul weather, noggin & face protecting lid.
I think just over 3 to 3 1/2" is the optimum brim width. 4" & flat shaped is a bit too much. JMHO...
I need a snowblower hat.
Weatherproof, it must have a large brim so that I could lower my head for protection whenever the wind gusts the snow back into my face. Also it would need to be secured with a chin strap in order to thwart the best efforts of the wind to dislodge it.
So far the ideal candidate seems to be the pre-hooked David Morgan version of the 4" brimmed Akubra Territory:

viclip

Practically Family
Thats a huge brim there and I know I wouldn't be able to pull it off. I have a Snowy River for outdoor work like shoveling snow. And you can do better than David Morgan prices imo. Try www.everythingaustralian.com.au.

I'm finally beginning to appreciate why so many Canadian retirees spend their winters in Florida! The thing with the pricing is that with the David Morgan version, his hat is pre-hooked for a chin strap, which I'll need; whereas I don't see that feature on the Akubra Territory hats listed on the Everything Australian & Hats Direct sites. Maybe the winds Down Under are tamer than what we have to face.

viclip

Practically Family
I have quite a few western hats that are 4" brims but most are curled up at the edges per that style.
I have 2 Akubra "work" hats that I regularly wear outdoors for wind & sun protection, the Bushman & Boss of the Plains.
I don't live up in Canada but the Bushman with a chin strap is my prefered foul weather, noggin & face protecting lid.
I think just over 3 to 3 1/2" is the optimum brim width. 4" & flat shaped is a bit too much. JMHO...

Thx for this. You're the second poster to warn against a 4" brim. I too have the Akubra Bushman with the 3-1/4" brim but I'm wary about the extent of protection it'll offer against snow being thrown back into my face by a mean north wind. What are the concerns with the 4" brim? ~ I should point out that when I'm out behind the snowblower there's really nothing nearbyfor the brim to make contact with because the size of the snowblower keeps me away from everything. Are 4" brims perhaps too unsupported/weak to withstand strong wind gusts coupled with about 5 pounds of snow a-hurling?

Thx for this. You're the second poster to warn against a 4" brim. I too have the Akubra Bushman with the 3-1/4" brim but I'm wary about the extent of protection it'll offer against snow being thrown back into my face by a mean north wind. What are the concerns with the 4" brim? ~ I should point out that when I'm out behind the snowblower there's really nothing nearbyfor the brim to make contact with because the size of the snowblower keeps me away from everything. Are 4" brims perhaps too unsupported/weak to withstand strong wind gusts coupled with about 5 pounds of snow a-hurling?
I've got NO experiential knowledge of snowblowing so my basis is mainly horseback or ATV in the elements of the Southeast US.
My view is a flat 4" brim, structure/strength withstanding, is 1/2 to 3/4 inches overkill to me.
Never had a Territory but have had Cattleman, Kiandra, Riverina, Snowy River, Bushman, & BotP.
If the brim is like the Cattleman & Kiandra, it is stout enough...

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've worn a 4" brim flat and it made me feel very self conscious. I've worn many different style hats and not felt too out of place but a 4" flat brim feels like wearing a pizza pan on your head. With a 4" brim, if it were strong enough to withstand the wind and snow from your snowblower, you'd probably end up strangling yourself with the chin strap due to the parachute effect of the brim...

FrankMc

Familiar Face
I just bought a very used Resistol Quicksilver cowboy hat thAt needs cleaning and I want to reshape it from the cattleman crease to a telescope with a flat brim. My question is if this can be done without showing any of the original creases when the clean, block, and restiffening is completed.

viclip

Practically Family
I need a snowblower hat.

Thx to those gents who chimed in, I very much appreciate the responses. I found it telling that no one recommended a non-Akubra hat. I think that I'll proceed with the Territory, for in reviewing the images on the David Morgan site it appears that the brim is cut raw thus if the 4" width proves problematic I could always trim it back with my razor knife (provided the wind doesn't garrot me first as casechopper cautioned!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe