Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omne

Familiar Face
Anyone know of a good hat shop in NYC other than JJ Hats?

Quick answer:

Bencraft Hatters
4202 13th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11219
(718) 384-5517
http://www.bencrafthats.com

Fedora Lounge Advertiser

Bencraft Hatters
236 Broadway
Brooklyn, NY 11211
(718) 438-9649
http://www.bencrafthats.com

Fedora Lounge Advertiser

Still Life
77 Orchard Street
New York, NY 10002
(212) 575-9704
http://www.stilllifenyc.com

Only Store Designed and Custom

Worth & Worth Hats
45 West 57th Street 6th Floor
New York, NY 10019
(212) 265-2887
http://www.hatshop.com/

Private Label Italian Hats, Hat Clean and Repair via mail

More details- see this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?31181-Hat-Stores-a-list

Last edited:

GamaH

A-List Customer
Here is a pic of me in my Borso on my way to church. It has a windcord. I like the cord personally.
Borsoonasunday.jpg

Jeff

Is that Black or Gray? Looks great btw.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Where on the hat brim do the holes for stampede strings go? Middle of the ear, front of the ear, behind the ear, inch in front of the ear? I live in Kansas, but I've NEVER had a hat with a stampede string and I need to know where to ask for it to be put. I'm also going to try it myself on a 5 year old twice crushed, never soaked (brittle) Sun Body.

Thanks

frussell

One Too Many
I usually put the holes right behind my ear, so that when it's not in use I can snug it up behind my ears against the base of my skull. I find that if the holes are in front of my ear, the stampede string sits too far forward when not in use. I use mostly horsehair strings, so I don't really want them rubbing against my ears all day. Your preference may be otherwise, but I do use them often. I find it helpful on felt and straw to punch the holes with a hammer-struck hole punch made for leather. It makes a clean hole with no rough edges to tear. Frank

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Here is a pic of me in my Borso on my way to church. It has a windcord. I like the cord personally.
Borsoonasunday.jpg

Jeff

Jeff,
I like that Borso ALOT ! It works well w/suit and fits your head well. I can't tell from the angle in the photo but is that a bound brim on it? And I like the charcoal tone of that black, makes it work well with a wide range of other colors I'm sure. NICE, NICE hat :)

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Jeff,
I like that Borso ALOT ! It works well w/suit and fits your head well. I can't tell from the angle in the photo but is that a bound brim on it? And I like the charcoal tone of that black, makes it work well with a wide range of other colors I'm sure. NICE, NICE hat :)
Thank you Monbla. It is not bound, it is my goto church hat and also when I work at the Funeral Home. Here is a link to some for pics of it in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?13133-The-BORSALINO-BROTHERHOOD/page127

Jeff

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I usually put the holes right behind my ear, so that when it's not in use I can snug it up behind my ears against the base of my skull. I find that if the holes are in front of my ear, the stampede string sits too far forward when not in use. I use mostly horsehair strings, so I don't really want them rubbing against my ears all day. Your preference may be otherwise, but I do use them often. I find it helpful on felt and straw to punch the holes with a hammer-struck hole punch made for leather. It makes a clean hole with no rough edges to tear. Frank

Thanks Frank

Makes sense.

Later

:arated:

I do have 1 or 2 that are leather but all the rest of what Frank says is dead on target especially the hole puncher technique...

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
is it ok to superglue a few beads over a) a 3/4" crack in a derby brim, and b) a spurring crack in an otherwise supple sweatband?

photos to come-- this is for a Mallory derby that's in mostly great condition, and possibly dates to somewhere around 1934, based on newspaper clippings I found scrunched as padding under the sweatband.

imgp9398.jpg
[/IMG]

more photos in post new hats thread.

Last edited:

Chinaski

One Too Many
Bowlerman, from the looks of that, if I'm seeing it correctly, I would try "blending" it with a needle so it sort of melds with the rest of the felt. I don't think you'd cause any harm trying this method. Others may have an idea for the sweatband problem.

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
For having my campdraft on the way, I'd like to prepare myself/study a little on how to get a teardrop shape on it. Would anyone know if there is a clear instructional floating around, or perhaps even a youtube vid or something?

Thanks!

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
For having my campdraft on the way, I'd like to prepare myself/study a little on how to get a teardrop shape on it. Would anyone know if there is a clear instructional floating around, or perhaps even a youtube vid or something?

Thanks!

For that you'll need the Teardrop Workshop
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?38228-Teardrop-Workshop

And in the future, you can use the "Links to Important Threads" sticky for more primers, basics, and intros.

Good Luck. :)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Bowlerman, from the looks of that, if I'm seeing it correctly, I would try "blending" it with a needle so it sort of melds with the rest of the felt. I don't think you'd cause any harm trying this method. Others may have an idea for the sweatband problem.

Thanks-- I will try it, but my lounge sleuthing is coming up blank for this needle blending thing. Can someone point me in the direction of that thread/post?

The sweatband is a little more fragile than I thought, as a light pull began a tear away from the stitches [insert perforated paper analogy here]. It fits perfectly, but now I'm afraid to wear it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe