Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

laotou

One of the Regulars
Having both the regular and fine Sunbody to compare side by side with Panamas and Milans of various vintage and weaves, I'd say that the Sunbody does not appear rough or beach hat like at all.
It is a heaver, stiffer hat more like a western style, but the braids are as fine if not finer than the Milans.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
What is the purpose of a dimensional brim?

Not much functional purpose just a minor style alternative. They were made in versions with front and back deeper than sides and the opposite, sometimes just the front deeper. Deeper front gives more of sun visor and swoop without broadening the flap and overall width relative to face as much.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Ok I called Bencraft, and Steven was busy, but the guy on the phone was really helpful as well. He told me Panapore straw is paper straw, but in terms of natural straw and panapore, they'll both last as long and it's purely preference.

Which now, leaves me back to square 1.. As indecisive as I was when I purchased my first fedora.

Since there's no apparent quality difference (assuming they're from the same maker, and of the same grade of each's respective materials), what's the difference then, if any? E.g.; One is more formal...

Last edited:

GamaH

A-List Customer
I'd hate to be behind you at a coffee shop.
Pick one, enjoy it, buy another.
Repeat.
:)

Hahaha, you wouldn't. I order the same thing every single time at Starbucks. I'm not too big a fan of variations when it comes to food. As for buying what I like.. I dare not. I would end up purchasing 5 hats a month. Or per season, at the very least. This is my first time considering a straw hat and I already can't decide between 4.

Anyway, how versatile is a black fedora? Specifically, a Borsalino San Remo. I'm considering getting one for religious purposes, if nothing else.

SanRemoTaupe.jpg

What is that knob beside the hatband though? Kinda spoils the look a little, imo.

I'm wondering if it'll look better on me/with my outfits than the Gazella. Although 190 bucks is a bit expensive to answer a question, so I think I need some input first.

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It keeps the hat from flying away and is sometimes considered decorative - some have designs on the button. I've never bothered using any of mine.

Removal seems pretty easy, but I've never tried.

Quatermain

New in Town
Richard Chamberlain's "Allan Quatermain" hat

Howdy folks! I'm the rare kind of person who actually LIKED the Richard Chamberlain "King Solomon's Mines" movie. So I'm interested to find out if anyone knows where I can find a replica of his hat. In fact I like his whole outfit but I think that was custom made. But can I get any leads on that hat? Would love to have one!

vlcsnap2011052212h26m05.png

00833.jpg

F2-04-688.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

GamaH

A-List Customer
It keeps the hat from flying away and is sometimes considered decorative - some have designs on the button. I've never bothered using any of mine.

Removal seems pretty easy, but I've never tried.

Hmm, I see. Well, learn something new everyday! =P

Can I ask your personal opinion on this?

Between the Gray Gazella here:
BORSALINO-GAZELLA-GRAY.jpg

and the black San Remo (which for some reason, doesn't seem to look all that black):
SanRemoTaupe.jpg

Which do you think looks better?

GamaH

A-List Customer
That's got to be your decision. I really dislike both, as I'm more of a wider brim, straight-sided-untapered crown, no logo kind of guy. Some guys like the stingy, tapered look and wear it well. DRB's Gary Whites and Optimos are great hats that look great on him.

Hm, fair enough. I dislike wide brims mainly because there's no way in hell I could pull a wide brim off.

What's a tear-drop crown btw?

Also, as a matter of practicality. Would it be overkill to buy 2 felt hats in a country that is mostly Summer year round? Because I'm on the move most of the time, and probably 80% of my days are spent in a country's Summer.

Last edited:

email68

One of the Regulars
Thanks rlk.

I hadn't thought about the importance of keeping the sides of the brim more narrow to keep from that sombrero look.

-Tim

Not much functional purpose just a minor style alternative. They were made in versions with front and back deeper than sides and the opposite, sometimes just the front deeper. Deeper front gives more of sun visor and swoop without broadening the flap and overall width relative to face as much.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up

Also, as a matter of practicality. Would it be overkill to buy 2 felt hats in a country that is mostly Summer year round? Because I'm on the move most of the time, and probably 80% of my days are spent in a country's Summer.

As to practicality, that's up to you.

A teardrop is one of many shapes/creases/bashes/etc. for a crown. Diamonds are also popular. Some like a perfectly formed crease, while others like the shape to have a bit more "character".

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Hm, fair enough. I dislike wide brims mainly because there's no way in hell I could pull a wide brim off.

Here is a pic of me in my Borso on my way to church. It has a windcord. I like the cord personally.
Borsoonasunday.jpg

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe