Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artificially breaking in an Aero FQHH jacket...

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
So I have this "air fluff" feature on my dryer which does not utilize any heat whatsoever. I've been told I can put an Aero FQHH jacket in the dryer along with some shoes wrapped up in plastic bags, and the coat should be well broken in after an hour of tumbling. What do you think of this method?

Peacoat

Bartender
That method might soften the leather some, but it won't be broken in to your body. I think the shoes might be too heavy for the dryer and will make a terrible racket. There is an extensive thread on this topic within the past year.

pipvh

Practically Family
If your jacket is anything like mine in terms of thickness, you're never going to break it in if by breaking in you mean softening the leather. You need to get it to conform to your body, your habits, your range of motion, and you won't get that in the dryer unless you're wearing the jacket. A commercial dryer might be big enough...

Seriously, wear it in the rain (really does work), on the subway, getting in and out of cars/taxis, scraping along walls, leaning on bus stops, carrying stuff. Pretend it's workwear... because it IS workwear!

Lear

One of the Regulars
Bury it

Edit: I agree with what Creeping Past has said below. There are many threads devoted to this subject. Searching will provide you with lots of great advice :)

A costume designer for one of our UK opera houses, assures me that they sometimes bury leather jackets outside (under soil) for two weeks.

This is provided as information/entertainment only. You'd never get me doing this, nor do I suggest that you do either :eek: It probably weakens the leather and stitching.

Lear (the ugly one)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
At the risk of sounding... ah, what the hell?

There are many, many existing threads on this subject, all of them containing endless ideas, suggestions, dodges and wheezes...

:rolleyes:

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
I have to say that chucking mine in the drier for 20 minutes softened it up enough (as it was warm and the leather oils were not waxy) to put it on and wear it and go through a range of motions as it cooled to get it to conform to my shape that little bit quicker.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe