Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article: Why do People Hate Hipsters

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
My orthopedic surgeon is a hipster. He replaced both my hips.:D:D:D

In all seriousness, I think I hate the term hipster itself. It gives me the impression of a group of people that seem to know what the rest of us fail to recognize.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
....where does the irony come in?

There are a particular group of individuals, whom some refer to as "hipsters", that wear an article, or articles, of clothing with the express purpose of being "ironic". As an example, one might wear a pair of high high-tops outside of tight tapered jeans, a wolf-howling-at-the-moon shirt, neon sunglasses and feathered hair with "cat scratches" shaved into the sides. They're more or less mocking low-income trailer park residents, but at the same time, they're "cool" because they are dressed in this manner (thus the irony).

See, it's ironic that anyone would willingly dress this way while also being aware that it's "silly looking" or "trashy", etc. Ha. Ha. And all that.

JimWagner

Practically Family
There are a particular group of individuals, whom some refer to as "hipsters", that wear an article, or articles, of clothing with the express purpose of being "ironic". As an example, one might wear a pair of high high-tops outside of tight tapered jeans, a wolf-howling-at-the-moon shirt, neon sunglasses and feathered hair with "cat scratches" shaved into the sides. They're more or less mocking low-income trailer park residents, but at the same time, they're "cool" because they are dressed in this manner (thus the irony).

See, it's ironic that anyone would willingly dress this way while also being aware that it's "silly looking" or "trashy", etc. Ha. Ha. And all that.

I guess it's ironic that when I see two people dressed that way I can't tell which one is the hipster and which the trailer park resident.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars

Ah,I think I get it,so surely the greatest irony of all is that I and the vast majority of the population, I would imagine,are completely unaware and just think they dress like that because they're twats,ha ha,but honestly,thinking about it,there is something sneeringly unpleasant about how that feels.I know rebellion has been mentioned numerous times on this thread,and believe me I rebelled with the best of them as a kid,,but against perceived authority,I didn't sneer at the less fortunate.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've just read this whole thread,it was great,really interesting debating and some great writing,Lizzie,I think journalism lost when you went into theatre.But,and you've got to forgive my ignorance,(I'd never come across the term 'hipster'in this context, before reading this thread),where does the irony come in? I mean I've seen those kids with their jeans around the bottom of their arses,and managed to refrain from kicking them in said arses with great difficulty, (I find the sight of their pants so ridiculous, it's an urge I'm not sure I will be able to manage forever),but I don't understand what's ironic about it. We have groups of them in our local town and they can, like all kids, be obnoxious,but I never got the 'ironically' obnoxious,they're just kids with a really bad sense of style,aren't they?And then, how many generations of kids has that been said about?I know the bright blue 'chaplins' I bought from the great gear market in 1980 were probably not the most stylish acquisition I've ever made.So sorry for coming in so late with what might appear to be an obtuse question,but if anyone can enlighten me I'd appreciate it

What I find ironic is who these people find attractive as role models.

The pants-down-below-the-butt, and no-shoelaces look comes from prison 'fashion,' and I use the term 'fashion' in the loosest sense of the word. Prisoners are theoretically not allowed to possess anything that can be used to hurt others (shoelaces for garroting) or themselves (hanging, whipping), so these things are taken away upon entrance to said institution.

This is what so much of today's youth feels is worth emulation. Kind of makes me ill when I think about it.

Undertow

What I find ironic is who these people find attractive as role models.

The pants-down-below-the-butt, and no-shoelaces look comes from prison 'fashion,' and I use the term 'fashion' in the loosest sense of the word. Prisoners are theoretically not allowed to possess anything that can be used to hurt others (shoelaces for garroting) or themselves (hanging, whipping), so these things are taken away upon entrance to said institution.

This is what so much of today's youth feels is worth emulation. Kind of makes me ill when I think about it.

Well, that and I suppose it's really hard to run without laces keeping your shoes on. I never understood it either. [huh]

Pompidou

One Too Many
The pants hanging really low thing isn't really a hipster thing. Someone was explaining it once back when I was in school. I guess it started in poor black communities. Some kids couldn't afford pants that fit, and others took the look as some sort of badge of pride. There is a lot of ghetto pride in the African American community amongst the youth and music community. It doesn't take long for the fashion industry to latch on and market to it. It's never really bothered me, though I'd never wear pants like that. I do err on the side of bagginess, because I'm so skinny and a little self conscious about it at times, but I'm thoroughly belted and tucked in.

Edit: Just noticed Scottyrocks' explanation for lots of it too. Maybe he's right. Might be some of both.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The pants hanging really low thing isn't really a hipster thing. Someone was explaining it once back when I was in school. I guess it started in poor black communities. Some kids couldn't afford pants that fit, and others took the look as some sort of badge of pride. There is a lot of ghetto pride in the African American community amongst the youth and music community. It doesn't take long for the fashion industry to latch on and market to it. It's never really bothered me, though I'd never wear pants like that. I do err on the side of bagginess, because I'm so skinny and a little self conscious about it at times, but I'm thoroughly belted and tucked in.

Edit: Just noticed Scottyrocks' explanation for lots of it too. Maybe he's right. Might be some of both.

I didnt want to pin it on any one group of people, but this is where it originated, and by that group of people. But it became more widespread, as lowest-common-denominator trends tend to do.

Edward

Bartender
The way I heard it, in prison it is also used as a means of indicating that one welcomes gentlemen callers, and is inclined towards being the submissive party. Which always made it seem wildly (though, it seems, unintentionally) ironic that it became such a strong element of the hip hop look.

The "hipster" variety - at least here in London is worn at a similarly low level, but is of the drainpipe variety (typically worn this way by men as I believe most of them, however marketed as "unisex" are cut for ladies, and thus designed to suit, well, a very different undercarriage, so to speak.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
The way I heard it, in prison it is also used as a means of indicating that one welcomes gentlemen callers, and is inclined towards being the submissive party.
That makes a lot of sense to me,I mean why else walk around so,well,exposed,and exposed from that end as it were.It's always struck me as completely mystifying,I couldn't think of any explanation,but in this new light I suppose,under those circumstances,it makes sense to be prepared.

Bruce Wayne

According to this picture, I am a level 5 hipster minus the still

dland.hipster.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe