Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
FurFeltFedora said:
Wow! That ribbon treatment along makes it unique. And as a detail most people will never see, the liner is fantastic in black with the signature. Congrats on the hat.

Thanks, FFF. I am really pleased. But trust me, if ANYONE says anything about the hat, I will be quick to flip it off and show the liner. It is too baeutiful not to show!! :)

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
Delthayre said:
That is a very fine ribbon treatment to add to the many interesting ones that Mister Fawcett has created.

I do wonder: Are those comparatively exotic ribbons more laborious or demanding of resources than a conventional bow?

I also like the black liner; I think that it complements grey felts, even very light ones, quite well.

This is definitely a great ribbon and I really could not be more pleased with it. From what TonyB has said before, I believe that it is much more laborious on these exotic bows than the traditional.

JP

kaosharper1

One Too Many
JPMcAdara said:
The hat arrived today and it is a beauty. I gave Art a bit of my background and what I was looking for. I told him that I wanted something that maybe was a bit out of the norm, but that would go with quite a bit. From there, I just let him do his thing. He was very patient with me and I really love my new hat. It is based off the Sportaire, but with a 2 and 1/2 inch brim (which I am still not sure if it is too big for me) and in the Silverbelly color. The ribbon is Navy Blue (which is great since I wear Navy, Black, and dark Brown quite a bit) and just looks stunning.

I am very pleased and I really was impressed with the professionalism of Art. He is such a great guy to work with and he really puts out a fantastic product. Thank you very much, Art!!

JP

Wow. Really nice. How about a full frontal shot and a pic of the top so we can see the crease? The obligatory shot with your mug would also be appreciated!

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
kaosharper1 said:
Wow. Really nice. How about a full frontal shot and a pic of the top so we can see the crease? The obligatory shot with your mug would also be appreciated!

I will definitely get one. My camera was dying and I at least wanted to get a great shot of the ribbon. A head shot will come soon.

JP

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Really, really nice. I would love to see that one on your noggin. The thing that really amazes me is how Art continues to find new ribbon treatments. He's made how many hats and again throws a new wrinkle at us.:eusa_clap

JPMcAdara said:
This is definitely a great ribbon and I really could not be more pleased with it. From what TonyB has said before, I believe that it is much more laborious on these exotic bows than the traditional.

JP

That's the gist of it, JP. It's because the more elaborate bow styles call for more stitches.

Art has a great eye, and his execution is just splendid. I'm guessing on that new lid of yours there are 18 stitches holding the bow together alone, plus a few more securing the band ribbon, etc. And I can't spot a one of them.

Carefully concealing the stitching takes a whole lot more work than some hat makers are willing to do. And don't get me started on what I see on some low-end (and, alas, some higher-end as well) mass-produced hats.

What makes it all the better is the ribbon Art uses. The difference between it and the lesser stuff usually isn't all that apparent in a photograph, but live and up close it's obvious, especially in a side-by-side comparison.

immortaldiamond

Familiar Face
JPMcAdara said:
The hat arrived today and it is a beauty. I gave Art a bit of my background and what I was looking for. I told him that I wanted something that maybe was a bit out of the norm, but that would go with quite a bit. From there, I just let him do his thing. He was very patient with me and I really love my new hat. It is based off the Sportaire, but with a 2 and 1/2 inch brim (which I am still not sure if it is too big for me) and in the Silverbelly color. The ribbon is Navy Blue (which is great since I wear Navy, Black, and dark Brown quite a bit) and just looks stunning. Here are a couple of pics;

I just love this box. It is the details that really matter;
100_0625.jpg

Black Liner that is just very cool;
100_0628.jpg

And the hat. Check out that great ribbon;
100_0627.jpg

I am very pleased and I really was impressed with the professionalism of Art. He is such a great guy to work with and he really puts out a fantastic product. Thank you very much, Art!!

JP
Gorgeous!

Jabos

A-List Customer
Wow JP!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful, and you have a one of a kind with that ribbon (until I have him make me one;) ). Is that a lightweight felt? I've never seen anyone that gives Art free rein unhappy.:eusa_clap

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
Mug Shot

Here is the head shot;

100_0650.jpg

Thanks everyone for their kind comments. I really am happy with it. Jabos--It is the regular weight, but as someone said before, I really cannot imagine it being any lighter. It is soft, pliable, but obviously very sturdy and is going to hold up for a long time to come. :D :D :D

JP

majormoore

Vendor
JP

That is a very good looking hat you have there, I am sure you are loving it, Art makes some outstanding hats.

Again a very nice looking hat.

Major Moore

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
majormoore said:
JP

That is a very good looking hat you have there, I am sure you are loving it, Art makes some outstanding hats.

Again a very nice looking hat.

Major Moore

Thanks, Mike!!! Good to hear from you!! Feel better!! I am still looking forward to coming up and visiting you soon!!

JP

Viper Man

Banned
:eusa_clap Fantastic, JP and Art. My third VS shipped the day after yours and I asked Art to do something cool with the bow. If it's anything like the bow work on yours, I'll be very happy. Then again, I haven't been disappointed with Art's work yet! :D

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
Carefully concealing the stitching takes a whole lot more work than some hat makers are willing to do. And don't get me started on what I see on some low-end (and, alas, some higher-end as well) mass-produced hats.
:eek:fftopic: How do you conceal the stitches? On my modern Stetson the ribbon was secured using some sort of plastic thread, which very quickly came off at the bow meaning that I had to re-stitch it myself with needle and thread. I can only just sew buttons, so this was quite a task for me :eek:. I used black thread, but the stitches are still quite visible. How could I do a better job next time?

Viper Man

Banned
avedwards said:
:eek:fftopic: How do you conceal the stitches? On my modern Stetson the ribbon was secured using some sort of plastic thread, which very quickly came off at the bow meaning that I had to re-stitch it myself with needle and thread. I can only just sew buttons, so this was quite a task for me :eek:. I used black thread, but the stitches are still quite visible. How could I do a better job next time?

I have done some very modest ribbon work (taught by tutorials here at FL) and I've used "invisible" thread with much success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld