Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosie

One Too Many
Ooooo, you can get a pink skin for it too

acc-71577-l.jpg

I DEFINITELY want one now!

Darn unfinished kitchen eating all of my money. :(

scotrace said:
True. My favorite "I" thing is my iStock, which I bought at i11. :)
Isn't that "insider trading"? Shall I fire up the speed-dialer to the Securities & Exchange Commission?

lol

MrPumpernickel said:
The rotary reciever is alright, though I don't see why they couldn't just build one of these instead:
[snip]
Why not use cellular tech to build a wearable version of Maxwell Smart's shoe-phone?

NicolettaRose said:
Cingular is giving me $300 off this phone since I have had so much trouble with my blackberry, but I am going to wait for a while--I won't be one of the people camping outside the store.
Smart young lady;)--let the early-adopters debug it, then get yours after the "release-test" crowd has 'em debugged! *swoon*

As for phones, I miss my old black brick Qualcomm, the kind I could smack some assailant upside the head with and knock 'em out, then call 911 with afterward... these little flip-phones, and even the Nokia 5185 that replaced Da Brick, just drive me nuts--no HEFT to 'em, I say...:mad:

Sylvester D

Familiar Face
IPHONE

With all the hoopla over this thing, I was wondering if anyone here bought one or is playing to get one. Sometimes I have admit, I am drawn to the latest bells and whitsles, but other times, I just wish life didn't move as fast as technology now allows us.

If no Iphone, what kind of cellphone do you have?

I have a 2 yr Samsung from Sprint that besides being a phone can also text. It cost me $25 after the rebate.

Feraud

Bartender
I would like to hear about how user friendly these things are and if the bells and whistles are all they are hyped to be before I dump a mortgage payment into it.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
Ooooo, you can get a pink skin for it too

acc-71577-l.jpg

I DEFINITELY want one now!

Darn unfinished kitchen eating all of my money. :(

I'm thinking that just like the iPods Apple probably will soon have pink iPhones. Why not wait till then? That's probably what I'll do. (That and I can't even dream of affording that price.)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pink Dahlia said:
I'm thinking that just like the iPods Apple probably will soon have pink iPhones. Why not wait till then? That's probably what I'll do. (That and I can't even dream of affording that price.)

I think waiting is a very reasonable thing. Being a bit of an apple addict, I truly love all of their products. I have been looking forward to the release of the iPhone for months now. But, like many other apple products and other brands of technology, it never pays to buy the first generation of anything. Apple is continuously upgrading their products. So it's pretty much a guarantee that there will be an upgraded version of the iPhone in a couple of months. Usually there is a pretty big difference between the first and second generations, not just in terms of technical advancements but also in price. The iPod is a great example of this. When it was first released, the 10 gig was the middle of the road product in the line. It wasn't worth it to buy the smaller one at $400 because for $100 more you not only got a larger drive but you got added accessories that you didn't get with the smaller drive. These accessories cost more than the $100 price difference, so it was actually a better deal to by the 10 gig model. However, a couple of months later, more than double the memory in the new models was $100 less[huh] So they not only upped their memory, but they lowered their prices. This is so evident now that the iPod has been out for 5 years. You can get a large memory, mine is 80 gigs, and it cost me $200 less than my 10 gig cost me 5 years ago. Like all technology, as a product becomes more popular and higher tech, the prices seem to become more consumer friendly. Plasma TV's are a perfect example of this. I just saw today that a 50 inch LG Plasma TV is under 2 thousand dollars. Only a year ago that same TV was over $5,000!! That's an insane price drop!! If I wait another year to buy, I might be able to get one!!
But anyway, I think waiting is a good idea on this one. Let them work out all the bugs of a first generation product, and if you wait you might just get more bang for your buck.
There's also the service plans to consider. You might be spending more for a phone plan than you would with a regular phone. I went into AT&T today to check them out. The plans start at $80/month and then it is an extra $20 a month for the iPhone service plan. This plan gives you 900 minutes, free nights and weekends, free mobile to mobile, 400 total texts, unlimited internet and email. This plan would work for me, but right now I'm paying $70/month, I get unlimited texting, 1800 minutes, and free nights and weekends. So, it's $30 more a month and I get half the daytime minutes. Since I don't have a home phone I use a lot of minutes. They do have higher minute plans, but they are even more expensive. I think I can get away with the 900, especially since I have a bunch of rollover minutes to use, but those will eventually be gone.
Either way, it looks like the plan will cost me over $100/month. So that plus the cost of the iPhone is a pretty large investment. I think like Pink, I'll be holding off and keeping my fingers crossed that not just the price of the phone goes down a bit but also that the plans get a little better[huh]

Daisy Buchanan

NicolettaRose said:
Cingular is giving me $300 off this phone since I have had so much trouble with my blackberry, but I am going to wait for a while--I won't be one of the people camping outside the store.

Wow, you're very lucky they are doing that.
We were told today that there is no special pricing for this phone since it's not a product of AT&T, but a product of Apple. AT&T doesn't even have anything to do with the actual product, they are just providing the GSM service on it. They won't even activate it for you, you have to activate it yourself through iTunes. AT&T is actually not making any money off of these products, they will be making a bit off of the service plans, but nothing off the sales of iPhones. I'm surprised that they would take a hit like that. I worked for them for about 3 years, they were pretty horrible when it came to any sort of special pricing, especially on a product that really doesn't show a profit for them till after the customer uses it's service plans for at least a year. Cell phone companies don't make money on their phones, they make money on the plans. Even then, they don't actually see any profit from a majority of their plans until the plan has been in use for one year. That is why all of these companies have 2 year contracts. Because this is the case the AT&T sales people aren't making any commissions on the phone, so they aren't really willing to do anything to help you out with it. We went into the store today and saw some customers buying them, the sales guy just handed the customer the box and sent them on their way. Since this is the case, when I do finally buy one I will be buying directly from the Apple store and avoiding AT&T at all costs.

Salv

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
The iPod is a great example of this. When it was first released, the 10 gig was the middle of the road product in the line.

Actually, when the iPod first went on sale in November 2001 it was only available in a 5 GB model. The 10 GB model would be introduced 4 months later, and the first 20 GB model another 3 months after that.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
The thing they don’t tell you (it’s hidden in the fine print) is that using your ipod/ iphone in temperatures above 95 degrees will severely shorten the battery life. Though that won’t affect most people, here in AZ it can be a big deal. It’s supposed to be 118 on Wednesday.

Daisy Buchanan

Salv said:
Actually, when the iPod first went on sale in November 2001 it was only available in a 5 GB model. The 10 GB model would be introduced 4 months later, and the first 20 GB model another 3 months after that.

Ooops, forgot about the release of the 5 gig first. But since we're being so incredibly exact and technical, if you had read my post I never said that the 20GB was first generation. I said it was released a couple of months (generic term for later but so sorry I didn't give you the exact 3 month time period after the release of the 10GB) after the 10GB.
Now, I was just trying to prove a point. Really no need for you to be short and snippy with me about some minor time differences. I'm sure no one here was offended by the fact that I forgot that the iPod was released exactly on November 10th 2001 and that there was only one model on that release date.
I was just trying to prove my point that sometimes, in particular with Apple products, it doesn't actually pay to buy a product when it is new. So please don't be short with me in regards to some minor technical facts that make absolutely no difference to the point I was making. Thanks.......

Salv

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
Ooops, forgot about the release of the 5 gig first. But since we're being so incredibly exact and technical, if you had read my post I never said that the 20GB was first generation. I said it was released a couple of months (generic term for later but so sorry I didn't give you the exact 4 month time period) after the 10GB.
Now, I was just trying to prove a point. Really no need for you to be short and snippy with me about some minor time differences. I'm sure no one here was offended by the fact that I forgot that the iPod was released exactly on November 10th 2001 and that there was only one model on that release date.
I was just trying to prove my point that sometimes, in particular with Apple products, it doesn't actually pay to buy a product when it is new. So please don't be short with me in regards to some minor technical facts that make absolutely no difference to the point I was making. Thanks.......

You're being far too touchy and reading far too much into my post. It was a short post because there wasn't much to say, and I can't detect anything snippy in it. I do, however, detect a certain snippiness in your post, but maybe that's just me being touchy. It can be difficult to judge the intent behind words on a screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld