Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone use jackets/clothing to help quit smoking?

zebedee

One Too Many
I read that, quit, started again, read the sequel, quit, started again and was quite depressed about it.

Then I worked it out. After you've decided to quit the trick is not to have the first cigarette. If you can always say "No" to the first one, you don't have cigarettes 2-40,582 or whatever.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
One added perk is that you'll be able to wear your jackets without acquiring the stale cigarette smell. I'm probably speaking the obvious but it makes a huge difference. Resale value really suffers w/the smell, or the pool of potential buyers for an item becomes very small once the smell is on there. That's been my experience.

Stil better than that guy on ebay a few years ago who listed the LW ANJ-4 claiming its heavy weed smell was due to "excessive partying in it" or whatnot in the description. At least he was honest...

Brettafett

One Too Many
Good on you Nick. Each has their own experience and challenges with this - find and do whatever works for you.
Whatever happens, just never quit quitting.
Looking forward to your non-smoker's reviews of your 100th H shirt and forthcoming Highwayman ;) Deserve it bro.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
everyday after doing morning walk with my grandma we stop by at my aunt's place (her daughter) for a chat and coffee, and they do smoke while we sit on the draft with ashes blown to my grainy black goat getting into the creases on my sleeve make me continuously run my hand over it like a weird leather fetishist... :(

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Good on you Nick. Each has their own experience and challenges with this - find and do whatever works for you.
Whatever happens, just never quit quitting.
Looking forward to your non-smoker's reviews of your 100th H shirt and forthcoming Highwayman ;) Deserve it bro.

No Highwayman on the horizon. :) "From Here to Eternity" was on the tube last night so that's enough H shirts for the time being!!Thanks. I smoked half a cigarette yesterday like an idiot. Lucky to have not experienced a full blown relapse. Running far far away from them. God bless the quitters. Tough thing.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
One added perk is that you'll be able to wear your jackets without acquiring the stale cigarette smell. I'm probably speaking the obvious but it makes a huge difference. Resale value really suffers w/the smell, or the pool of potential buyers for an item becomes very small once the smell is on there. That's been my experience.

Stil better than that guy on ebay a few years ago who listed the LW ANJ-4 claiming its heavy weed smell was due to "excessive partying in it" or whatnot in the description. At least he was honest...

One of the best things they've done over here in the past 10 years was banning smoking in bars etc. Suddenly, you could go out for the evening and know that you wouldn't come home smelling like an ashtray. One jacket I wore at uni had to be hung out in the garage every Christmas as the student union was just smoke infested. God knows how many years I've taken off my life heading down to that place every night for four years...

It's true. And the associated hangover from a night of heavy drinking also has a kinder bite without the residual second hand smoke bite...
And be strong Nick! Start chewing straws. I probably cost Dunkin donuts $3 million in coffee stirrers when I quit. I'd chew them literally all day. It helped!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the last semester when I was in university trying to finish my final assignment, those drawings had to be done at the studio and to be left there, but apparently some guys decided to live there going to the last weeks of the semester probably because they were lazy at the start then had to catch up a lot, the place smelled funky... a complex mixture of astray smell and freshly blown smoke, fresh and stale coffee, sweat and unwashed clothes.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the inspiration. What a great jacket alibi! Even a non- smoker such as myself can spin it to advantage: when the day comes- and I'm hoping that it won't be too far off, that I drop the cash on a nice new RAF Irvin I can tell my dear wife that it's a reward to myself for never having smoked.

Edward

Bartender
One of the best things they've done over here in the past 10 years was banning smoking in bars etc. Suddenly, you could go out for the evening and know that you wouldn't come home smelling like an ashtray. One jacket I wore at uni had to be hung out in the garage every Christmas as the student union was just smoke infested. God knows how many years I've taken off my life heading down to that place every night for four years...

Ha, I know what you mean. I think I only went near our Student Union bar half a dozen times in five years.... the smell was a big part of it. Never ceases to amaze me how quickly smoking social norms changed with the ban, though I think despite the initial fears it would kill the pub industry, most people were ready for it. A lot of my friends were social smokers, the girls, mainly, and they seemed to find it made it very easy to give up because the pub was mostly where they smoked.

Thanks for the inspiration. What a great jacket alibi! Even a non- smoker such as myself can spin it to advantage: when the day comes- and I'm hoping that it won't be too far off, that I drop the cash on a nice new RAF Irvin I can tell my dear wife that it's a reward to myself for never having smoked.

Now there's an idea..... "You remember you said I had too many shoes, well, this is my reward for buying many fewer shoes...." :p I could try that one on. I currently have approaching seventy pairs, but there's a plan to get it down to 36....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe