Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone use jackets/clothing to help quit smoking?

schitzo

Suspended
hmm, I wonder what Lost worlds' Stu would have to say. Personally I suspect in this instance he might have some sage advice.

I managed to give them up, years ago, and it basically boils down to a question of free will. You have to accept responsibility, face the reality head on and make a simple choice.

Do I want to pay money (a lot of money) to systematically poison myself with filthy repugnant cancer sticks while the tobacco companies laugh at my stupidity? Or would I prefer to not do that anymore.

Step 1: Make the choice.
Step 2: Be a man and stick to it

Sure you'll suffer a bit of withdrawal but I say embrace that withdrawal! It means you're on the right tracks.

Happy 2013 chaps and good luck to anyone trying to quit

Schitz

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Worf. Now where is your friend Butte? I don't know if I've said more than two words to that guy on here but he needs to get back on.

Last word that I had with Scott on VLJF he had sadly decided to move on from jacket discussions.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Worf. Now where is your friend Butte? I don't know if I've said more than two words to that guy on here but he needs to get back on.

Butte (Mah Brudda from Another Mudda) is hangin' in the "Moving Pictures" section these days. Too much drama round here so he's giving it a rest for a while.

Worf

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I just quit today. Ain't that hard, but the difficult thing is not to light up again, in 4 months or so. ;) I got my experiences...

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
TO ANYONE TRYING TO QUIT:

Seriously, check out my method on page one of this string. Obviously you have to be ready and want to; but if I could quit, anyone can quit. I inhaled down to my ankles and smoked them down to the filters! And my method is mindless too, you're replacing cigarettes without doing anything about the craving. PM me for moral support and/or questions.

414KjyXxvQL.jpg

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Excellent!

I still haven't, no excuse there. Every time I relight I'm back to square one. Keep plugging away.
The problem is the perspective. If you take it too serious you'll make too big a thing out of it to even start quitting. You put so much stress on yourself that you actually need a smoke to relief it. On the other hand, when you take it too easy, you might be not firm enough to make it. Your vigillance will slip and the little beast inside (I have a mental image of it that pretty much resembles the one on the old Iron Maiden covers...;)) will tell you (Gollum's voice now): "Aahh, c'me one, just one draw, with the beer, it's nothing, don't be no killjoy...precccioussssss".
It is the temptation you need to widthstand, and that is difficult. Stopping is easy, not starting again is the tricky part. And never feel too safe, I met many people who started again after years and they regret their folly and still cannot stop. It's a marathon, not a sprint, and deceptively easy in the beginning. I learned I may never slip my guard, otherwise I'll start again. Of course, to all other exies, ymmv.
One last thought about this. I think there are basically two kinds of people: I know quite a few who can smoke occassionally, in the pub or at parties, and then they quit again for a month or a year with no urge at all. And then there are old junkies like me who cannot. I've been smoking for 35 years or so, and I'm really addicted. I cut down on smoking the last year, after not smoking at all for the first 4 months, but cutting down is only extending the "pain" and I think stopping entirely is easier in the long run. So, what I wanted to say is, let not other people confuse you with their behaviour. As in every addiction, this is a very personal thing and you need to find out what works for you. Good luck, you'll need it. ;)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The problem is the perspective. If you take it too serious you'll make too big a thing out of it to even start quitting. You put so much stress on yourself that you actually need a smoke to relief it. On the other hand, when you take it too easy, you might be not firm enough to make it. Your vigillance will slip and the little beast inside (I have a mental image of it that pretty much resembles the one on the old Iron Maiden covers...;)) will tell you (Gollum's voice now): "Aahh, c'me one, just one draw, with the beer, it's nothing, don't be no killjoy...precccioussssss".
It is the temptation you need to widthstand, and that is difficult. Stopping is easy, not starting again is the tricky part. And never feel too safe, I met many people who started again after years and they regret their folly and still cannot stop. It's a marathon, not a sprint, and deceptively easy in the beginning. I learned I may never slip my guard, otherwise I'll start again. Of course, to all other exies, ymmv.
One last thought about this. I think there are basically two kinds of people: I know quite a few who can smoke occassionally, in the pub or at parties, and then they quit again for a month or a year with no urge at all. And then there are old junkies like me who cannot. I've been smoking for 35 years or so, and I'm really addicted. I cut down on smoking the last year, after not smoking at all for the first 4 months, but cutting down is only extending the "pain" and I think stopping entirely is easier in the long run. So, what I wanted to say is, let not other people confuse you with their behaviour. As in every addiction, this is a very personal thing and you need to find out what works for you. Good luck, you'll need it. ;)

Thank you so much Don.
I can't say that I've made a good run at this point, but am not discouraged. The big problem is mental. I go (don't laugh) a few hours and I'm back to where I started. Where I started is wanting to quit. I think that the big problem is doubt. But I have a plan in the works and will take it one day at the time. If I told you that I'm not stressed about the notion of quitting I'd be lying. Everyone in my household smokes but that will only be a motivating factor there. Thanks again for the support. It will happen.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hey congratulations Nick!!!! :)

So I've never known that struggle, however an elderly man in my hometown that I whose lawn I mowed was dying of emphasima. It was really alarming seeing him in that state and reinforced the Shock Value for me as a 16 year old.

Edward

Bartender
Congrats on quitting, Nick. I know it ain't easy - I've seen a lot of friends go through it. My choice of poison is the pipe, but as I average about a bowl a month and go three or fou months at a time without it, it's not yet on the level I plan to quit. I've always said, though, that if I ever found it becoming a habit rather than an indulgence, it's out... Herself gave up the ciggies a couple of years ago, through a lot of will power, an electronic ciggie alternative, and in the end sheer willpower to make the jump to nothing. Another friend found a free app for her iphone which kept track of how much money she was saving each day by giving up - might be of interest to loungers who want to use a new jacket as a carrot... She struggled a lot, but really found it helped big time to see just how fast the money piled up.

Every smoker started smoking because of a subconscious need. For most people it is a need for security. If you want to stop smoking successfully (and that means, in my book, permanently), you'll have to stop for the right reason. And that's not your health or your spouse or your children or because it's so expensive. These are good additional reasons, but they won't work unless you are really ready to quit. If you are, then your best bet is to see a good hypnotist (most aren't good), uncover the reason why you started smoking in the first place and then reprogram your subconscious mind. If done correctly you will instantly lose the urge and you become a non smoker. You also won't gain weight instead or replace smoking with any other unwanted habit (e.g. shopping frenzies).

Let me repeat this: If you don't quit for the right reason there is nothing in the world you can do to quit smoking permanently.

Of all the people I've known who gave up or tried to, those who found it hardest or who never quite made it were those who didn't really want to give up, but thought they should, or had been told to by the doctor but didn't really want to, and so on. Thosewho found it easiest really wanted to give up. That's the most common factor of all. Of course it seems, anecdotally, that having to watch a friend or relative die from a smoking-related illness is a major motivating factor too.

hmm, I wonder what Lost worlds' Stu would have to say. Personally I suspect in this instance he might have some sage advice.

Doubtless old Stu would be in favour of saving the money to spend on one of his jackets, but he'd call us all a bunch of girlymen queens for needing the support or input of anyone else. Plus ca change.... ;)

kyboots

Practically Family
I used to smoke 3-4 packs per day years ago especially during school. Quiting was the hardest thing i have ever done in my life and it took five years to be successful. Overall it is is the healthiest thing you can ever do for yourself or for your children. I applaud you for your success.

Congrats Nick. It is the hardest thing in the world to do. I quit a little over 6 years ago, when we adopted our daughter, and honestly, every single day since is a choice to not start up again. The only difference now is that I find the smell of them just disgusting, especially in people's clothes and such. And I never thought I smelled like that, but surely did. I'd be lying if I didn't say I have to constantly work at not starting again. My goal is to make it to 80. If I do that I'm going to start smoking whatever the Hell I want. Stay strong man and you will notice a huge bump in your bank account. Especially with the price of those rotten little bastards these days.

Edward

Bartender
The only difference now is that I find the smell of them just disgusting, especially in people's clothes and such. And I never thought I smelled like that, but surely did.

You reminded me of some folks who used to crew in the yacht club with a guy I worked with years ago. They, a couple, went from being heavy smokers to totally quitting, and once they got to the point where it smelled bad to them, they spent months apologising to any non-smokers in their social circle for the smell they'd exposed them to. Heh. Funny, back in the days before the smoking ban in the UK, it was never the passive smoking that bothered me, but them smell of it clinging after an hour in the pub. Funny how quickly these things become normalised.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It's amazing how much those little things can leech onto your life. For the heavy smokers as I was, nothing short of a full-blown addiction. No better than the guy shaking holding up a sign asking for money-just a different more socially acceptable drug is all as I've remarked. I've always kept that in mind. When you're sucked into it it stops being fun. Your esteem kind of takes a nose dive in the process. "If it kills me, so be it, etc etc". Excuses due to the nicotine talking.

Took a trip to the hospital and gettng really sick to get me off of those things. I'd recommend that being the time to try to quit; when you're stuck on the couch and don't have the energy to get up!

Yes, still dabbling with one of those silly vapes I detested for so long. But a much lower nicotine dose and it's just to keep the hands and mouth busy. Not a full quit, but good lord, a night and day difference. So my advice: get the flu or some other sickness that turns you into a book end, and may the withdrawal symptoms be clouded in whatever other ailments you're feeling! That seemed to work for me. Only cursed at the tv once, and that was during one of the political conventions...good luck all.

Monsoon

A-List Customer
A guy in my squadron used the nicotine patch. Said he did as directed and didn't have a problem. The only "craving" he got was first thing in the morning. He'd go out back on the porch and have coffee and a cigarette. After he quit, he kept thinking while he had his coffee, "Damn, I'm forgetting something......"

nick123

I'll Lock Up
A guy in my squadron used the nicotine patch. Said he did as directed and didn't have a problem. The only "craving" he got was first thing in the morning. He'd go out back on the porch and have coffee and a cigarette. After he quit, he kept thinking while he had his coffee, "Damn, I'm forgetting something......"

Mornings are the worst in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe