Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone bought any boots from Aero?

zebedee

One Too Many
I am thinking about getting some of the Town boots- anyone have any experience with these? Would there be any advantage over buying Loakes (who do a very similar style)?

Edward

Bartender
Better than the Loakes, imo. The Aeros are sturdier, more of a work/ dress crossover boot, as were the originals for working men, of course. The Town boot is very nice; if you prefer no speedhooks and a plain, non-cap toe, check out the Jarrow.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I do have a pair of Jarrow Marchers and the toe seems much more round than the Loake Hyde's (which are similar to the Aero Town's). Any idea if the Town's are as round as the Jarrow's?

zebedee

One Too Many
Cheers- I'm going to order some Town boots in the steer hide. I have Loakes with leather soles that I had a cobbler put Topy protector soles on; I reckon I'll do the same with the Aero boots.

J.

Edward

Bartender
I do have a pair of Jarrow Marchers and the toe seems much more round than the Loake Hyde's (which are similar to the Aero Town's). Any idea if the Town's are as round as the Jarrow's?

I've not compared them both in hand, but from memory the towns are very similar to the Jarrows.

Cheers- I'm going to order some Town boots in the steer hide. I have Loakes with leather soles that I had a cobbler put Topy protector soles on; I reckon I'll do the same with the Aero boots.

J.

The other alternative is to order them from Aero with Dainite soles. Dainite have been making their rubber soles since 1894, so it's not really a compromise against 'vintage'.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My Dainite soles have lasted and lasted. I had the heel replaced recently, but that's after two years of regular wear.

Chris7273

One of the Regulars
My 2 cents
I Recently bought Jarrow boots in cordovan with the dainite sole. The contacts with Aero were easy and it's a pleasure to deal with.
I am happy but not totally. The sole is not Dainite but is branded Commando/Itshide. It's the same pattern as Dainite but it feels softer. I don't know if it's due to the design of the shoe or to the sole itself but the shoe is very flexible and I feel every little irregularity on the ground.
The leather is great.
Good point : the shoes are fully snow and water proof.
The sizing is on the small size : I wear 8uk (Locke 1880 and other classic shoes) but I had to order 8.5 and size 9 would have been better.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just got back from Christmas in Germany where I fancied a walk in the Black Forrest(take note Horst Jankowski:p). This was a true test of them as I had previously wore them a few times but really not that much, just to wear them in and a little comfort feeling so to speak.
This was one of those times I had thoughts of heels rubbed raw and blisters but no. They were perfect actually from the first wearing and comfortable all week walking around Baden Baden and the Cuckoo clock hell of Triberg.
A couple into vintage wear told me they looked great and went well with my Harris Tweed country jacket even though I too usually prefer a ever so slightly more pointed boot, my Mrs calls them my 'Oliver Twists'. They took a bit of a beating in the rain and snow but came up trumps and my feet stayed dry
Mine are Cordovan with Dianite soles, look quality and are. My only query is the tongue is slightly off set to one side on each boot, Is this correct as I have never come across this before, either way it was not a problem.
My opinion, great boots from the first wearing, go well with vintage or modern clothing.
P.S. I missed the 'Men Only' parking spaces in Triberg.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Better than the Loakes, imo. The Aeros are sturdier, more of a work/ dress crossover boot, as were the originals for working men, of course. The Town boot is very nice; if you prefer no speedhooks and a plain, non-cap toe, check out the Jarrow.
This has been the year of shoe-mania for me: just counting them up I've bought twelve pair, two of which are Loakes" Bedales and Bosworths. I thought the Bedales, being a G width, might be too big, but with a solid pair of socks they're fine - the Bosworths, a regular F width, are one of the most painful boots I've ever owned. I'm thinking of selling them and going for the Town boots, but I might email Holly first about the sizing.

Edward

Bartender
Always a good idea to check sizing. I'm consistenly a UK 8, but I vary a lot between 8.5 and 9 in US shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun