Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

And now for something completely terrible!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, yeah. I remember when that first came out. Welk's singer gives it a much more country-ish rhythm than the original. It was a pretty big hit, actually. That's from the same era as "I Wuv You, I Wuv You, Said the Little Blue Man", "My Friend the Witch Doctor", and "The Purple People Eater". Great stuff.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Sacrilege.

And then there is this version:
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cH1v3wee0Dc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cH1v3wee0Dc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I love this with no hint of irony. I like schmaltz of that era. It is so sweet and innocent. Let's face it, the Andrew Sisters were not exactly hipster music. Great Boogi woogie piano too.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Course, this can go in the "you kids think you invented,,," category. Anyone who grew up in the 20s and 30s, or 40s, and liked to dance would surely know how to handle a rock song. But that wouldn't be much of a song, would it?

some old timers could hold their own. Skip to 7:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft7kt6CMbNw

High Pockets

Practically Family
I enjoyed all the posted videos, thanks!

A waltz after all is just a 3/4,....any 3/4 will do, the tempo is all that matters.:)

We have a six year old grand-daughter who I'm sure I've never seen sit down to watch more than two minutes of anything on television,......that is until last weekend.

I was raised in a house where my parents watched Lawrence Welk every week. Several years ago I started watching the old re-runs and actually enjoying them. Anyhow,.....last Saturday for the first time I saw my grand-daughter sit on the couch with her grandmother under a blanket for an hour without moving, actually talking about and asking questions about the costumes, props and the band. I was flabergasted!:D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That Burns and Allen clip is so interesting. The period from about 1946 to 1954 is like a black hole in American pop cultural history. Swing was pretty much dead, but Rock and Roll hadn't yet emerged. The dance was called Bop, but not to be confused with BeBop music. There's an episode of the Honeymooners where a couple of teenagers do the Hucklebuck, to the tune of the same name. Style wise it was exactly a continuation between swing and rock. But nowadays it's as if that whole period never happened. Nobody knows a blessed thing about it. Very strange.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
That Burns and Allen clip is so interesting. The period from about 1946 to 1954 is like a black hole in American pop cultural history. Swing was pretty much dead, but Rock and Roll hadn't yet emerged. The dance was called Bop, but not to be confused with BeBop music. There's an episode of the Honeymooners where a couple of teenagers do the Hucklebuck, to the tune of the same name. Style wise it was exactly a continuation between swing and rock. But nowadays it's as if that whole period never happened. Nobody knows a blessed thing about it. Very strange.

I didn't live through the era, but it seems to me there was a continum, from big bands to small combos doing jazz, swing and jump blues and rhythm and blues, as well as pop easy listening to and schmaltz for the squares and older folks.

I doesn't seem too likely taht there was any big void as people were probably listening to what they had always listened to, with new sounds emerging all the time. Of course, there are watershed moments. 1955 or so, 1963, then again around 1966, these last two both closely related to the beatles, but even their 1963 stuff was mostly 50s rock and roll.

I have always felt there was not such a big revolution in music as much as a change in who was listening to it. In other words, around 1955, black people had been listening to jump blues, r and b and rock and roll for years. But when White performers started doing it, and white teens started to listen to it, then it became very scandelous.

I would have to say there definitely was an odd period for men's suits. Look how all these suits fit. They are baggy and one size too big on all the guys. No wonder the trim fit of the late 50s and 60s, ushered in by Pierre Cardin.

Lorena B

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
Sacrilege.

And then there is this version:
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cH1v3wee0Dc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cH1v3wee0Dc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
She actually sings really nicely!!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
reetpleat said:
I didn't live through the era, but it seems to me there was a continum, from big bands to small combos doing jazz, swing and jump blues and rhythm and blues, as well as pop easy listening to and schmaltz for the squares and older folks.

Quite true. Kay Kyser and Guy Lombardo and Wayne King sold a *lot* of records during the late forties, but so too did Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie and Stan Kenton. Go thru any random pile of postwar 78s and you'll see what I mean.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The point I was trying to make was that yes, indeed, there was a continuum, but the stuff of that era has been eclipsed by what came right after it, giving rise to the myth that when Rock and Roll burst on the scene it was much more revolutionary than it really was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld