Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

jarhead613

New in Town
This is my first post in the Lounge, so I hope I do alright.
As to hat etiquette, I am rather old school, and being a former US Marine, was originally taught hat etiquette by them.
The hat stays on outdoors. Period. with the exception of meeting a lady for the first time. Tipped afterwards. The hat comes off indoors. Now, I make exceptions for places like Wally-world, malls, grocery stores. Private homes - off. Churches - off. Courtrooms - off. Restaurants - off.
I fully realize that a nice felt is certainly differant from a Marine Corps barracks cover. You can't just slip it under your arm. It has to be held gently and with the reverence it deserves. If you have to set it down, do so where the dog or resident ankle-biter won't inadvertently get hold of it and force you to go postal.
I always take my hat off when eating. Frankly, it disgusts me to see people eating while wearing a hat. That's just me.:rolleyes:
Personally, I am delighted to see hats making a comeback. By hats, I mean nice fedoras or boaters, or even ivy hats. Not these daggone ballcaps! Dang kids don't even seem to know which way to face the bill. Sideways, backwards, even upside down. But I get off topic. Sorry:eek:

Dewhurst

Practically Family
jarhead613 said:
I always take my hat off when eating. Frankly, it disgusts me to see people eating while wearing a hat.

Honestly, I don't care what people do when they are wearing a hat. They can balance upside down, wiggle their ears, eat a hot dog and fly a kite indoors all at the same time and all while wearing a dress hat and I still won't care. :D

I suppose that is a quirk of my own etiquette "awareness". It only applies to me while other people can do whatever pleases them as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

If they are eating outside I would keep my hat on.

jarhead613 said:
Dang kids don't even seem to know which way to face the bill. Sideways, backwards, even upside down.

Rumor has it they do this on purpose! It's enough to keep the mind alive, isn't it?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I agree about restaurants, to a point. For a fast food joint or a food court in the mall-- I think it's OK to leave the hat on in those instances. They're essentially the modern-day equivalent of the greasy spoon diner, and plenty of period photos demonstrate men leaving their hats on in those settings.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Im thinking even the chain places may be a 'take-it-as-you-see-it' sort of feeling. Outback is a loud place and I see plenty of ballcaps on. Id be inclined not to wear it, but I know that at an upscale place where I would expect to see sports coats or people bringing a bottle of wine, definitely not. I do know that many people seem to really think the fur felt fedoras, when worn with a suit, really adds a panache. I have had no less than 3 men tell me that I have inspired them to get a hat for this fall.

RBH

Bartender
MisterGrey said:
I agree about restaurants, to a point. For a fast food joint or a food court in the mall-- I think it's OK to leave the hat on in those instances. They're essentially the modern-day equivalent of the greasy spoon diner, and plenty of period photos demonstrate men leaving their hats on in those settings.

Even some photos not so period. * :D

monteagle070xu9.jpg

picture070bt8.jpg

* Monteagle TN Lounge get together Feb 2009

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Mulberrywood said:
I liked the elevator theory information. However, I always take off my hat when I enter a building, even in a corridor. I am not sure why, it just seems correct.

I am the same, I was told by my first schoolteacher that any time you are in a building with an "EXIT" sign you should remove your lid and to this day I could no more wear a hat indoors than spit on the sidewalk.

Scott

p.s.
Nothing goads me much more than a guy wearing a hat at the table...

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Siirous said:
Putalidonit,

What do you guys up in the cold cold north due in the winter when you go out with coats, jackets, scarfs, mittens, etc?

Rob
Hey Rob,
The very fact that we wear all the gear leads to racks and coat hooks most places. However, I will sit with my hat in my lap before I will leave it out of my sight but accessible to others. LOL

Scott

Scott Wood

Practically Family
The Skyhook

jamespowers said:
Now see I figured somone would ask me that. :p I got mine from Art. That is all I know. I think he still has a bunch of them---at least he did before the move. ;) Check with him and see if they are still available.

Regards to all,

J
From the picture of the Skyhook I believe I have all of the materails and pieces to make myself one and suggest that anyone unable to find one could go to any leatherworking or old-fashioned shoe repairman to make one, probably for a reasonable price.

Good luck,
Scott

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Indoors hat rules

DOUGLAS said:
I will speak for myself.
I wear my hat outdoors and in indoor public spaces like lobbies and atriums or stores.
I wear my hat in my car unless the crown is too tall.
I tip my hat and give way when a woman is passing when eye contact is made.
I wear my hat in elevator untill a woman enters.
I do not wear my hat in private homes or spaces.
When holding my hat it done so with the liner to the body.
If there is no place to hang or keep my hat I will place it on my lap.
I find this the most succint offering I have found but there is one thing in which I have a personal difference: in the winter here the temperatures demand warm clothing but if you enter a shop they are fully heated (unlike my time living in europe where the shops are not super hot) as a result if I don't open my jacket and remove the lid I cook to the level of utmost discomfort. Because of the foregoing I am hat-in-hand with a glove on to protect the hat.

Scott

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Bonus points for this...

John in Covina said:
Here is an idea for the group. There is a place that makes this clamp device that clamps to the table and will hold a ladies purse or pocketbook.

It seems to me it may be posible to come up with a small springy clamp that would have a hat hook, you pop it onto the edge of the table and hang your hat there. Of course using it as long as it is out of the way and not too difficult to bring with.

The best designs are usually simple and i imagine we could come up with something.
I think this is a really great idea. Making plans for this tomorrow! :eusa_clap

Scott

p.s.
I am new here and am just working my way through the threads so I apologize for all teh comments coming at once when most of you will have forgotten about it. :eusa_doh:

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Hat prophylaxis

John in Covina said:
Marc!
:essen:
From your chili description I had envisioned using those stretchy elastic banded plastic hat covers the state police use on their hats when it rains!
Perhaps one could take to carrying one of htose cheap plastic weather covers in their pocket. Slip it over the hat when it requires protection from greasy surfaces or chili burger drips.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Reflect on Respect?

It seems to me that all these actions and rules of etiquette are more important now than ever. Knowing the rules and following them as best you can is a sign of self-respect and shows respect to the people you come in contact with in your day to day activities. If you show respect to others often they will sense this even if the action with it is not exactly correct. If you show others respect they may just surprise you and if they do not return the respect the problem is not yours.
If you are not a part of the solution you are part of the problem (or, perhaps, just a part of the landscape) :D
Scott

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Rembrance day

canucklehead said:
Last Rememberance Day, I was shopping for groceries when they announced the minute of silence. I was wearing a baseball cap at the time, but naturally it came off. During the minute, another fellow, hat firmly on fat head, wandered up the aisle, and I glared very pointedly at him. He just gave me a look as though I was doing something wrong and kept on plodding. Twit.

I would've said something, but it was the minute of silence. Grrrr. :mad: Some people have no respect.

Edit: That's the closest I've come to reminding someone to remove their hat.
Next week I will wear my chapeau to the armories and remove it when I find my seat until I am leaving,

Scott

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Common

Tango Yankee said:
Ah, I made a classic forum etiquette error--and replied from a "US-centric" position, failing to note your location and forgetting that this is indeed a world-wide forum.

Each nation's military does indeed have it's own traditions and variations of etiquette. My comments are accurate when strictly applied to the USAF in particular and in general to the other US Armed Forces.

Be that as it may, I think we're in agreement that the overall issue is the general lack of etiquette education and the lack of simple respect and courtesy.

In the US there seems to be a fear of appearing too formal or stuffy. It's a sad state of affairs when the individual who adheres to what used to be called common courtesy is now considered the odd one and there's a general attitude of "If I gotta wear a tie I ain't goin'."

Of course, for the past couple of decades I've been of the opinion that the majority of the world's problems are caused by a lack of common courtesy and respect for others.

Cheers,
Tom
It seems to me that if there is anything less common than common sense these days it would have to be common courtesy!

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
When you read through the books on hats it is always noted that people used to wear hats everywhere, including at the table, until the last few hundred years.

I recently attended a breakfast meeting with a crew of field people. They all had on their baseball caps with the corporate logo and I had a fedora. I hung mine on a chair and then realized I was the only bare head at the table.

Customs change. With hats being out of fashion for over 50 years, we have an entire generation who grew up without a mom and dad who would "whup" them for wearing a hat indoors or at the table. Maybe we're just returning to earlier fashion.

But I feel uneasy wearing a hat inside. Maybe its because I'm old. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe