Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

jec

One of the Regulars
Daoud said:
Besides the difference in ribbons and colors, it looks to me as if the Squatter and the Campdraft are the same hat. Could someone tell me if that's the case?

I haven't checked the stats on one of the dealer websites, but I seem to remember that the Squatter has a wider brim than the Campdraft, while the CD has a slightly taller crown.

Did I get that right?

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Daoud said:
Besides the difference in ribbons and colors, it looks to me as if the Squatter and the Campdraft are the same hat. Could someone tell me if that's the case?

The Campdraft has a taller crown and the brim is almost 1/4" shorter than the Squatters. The Squatter's crown is more round the Campdraft is more oval.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Well, that's why I was wondering- all this talk about the Squatter got me interested, and since Hatsdirect apparently doesn't carry the Squatter I went to the EA website- looked at their picture of the Squatter and I thought that it looked like the Campdraft- according to their info both hats have a 73mm brim and a 10.5cm. crown....both have bound edges- so apart from the ribbons and different color choices ( and the wind trolley on the Campdraft) I can't see any differences.

Another question- does EA ever actually have any hats in stock? Everything I've ever seen on there has a three-month wait.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
IMG_3444-1-1.jpg

...and a shot inside.

IMG_3458-1.jpg

Like I said before, subtle and classic. Your crown height is actually taller than mine because my center dent is deeper. My crown looks tall in front because the tail is chopped so low. That's also where most of the rearward rake at the front pinch comes from - that and the deeper center dent. This rake was not intentional but that's how it turned out.

Any more Squatters out there?

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Daoud said:
Well, that's why I was wondering- all this talk about the Squatter got me interested, and since Hatsdirect apparently doesn't carry the Squatter I went to the EA website- looked at their picture of the Squatter and I thought that it looked like the Campdraft- according to their info both hats have a 73mm brim and a 10.5cm. crown....both have bound edges- so apart from the ribbons and different color choices ( and the wind trolley on the Campdraft) I can't see any differences.

Another question- does EA ever actually have any hats in stock? Everything I've ever seen on there has a three-month wait.

Daoud, There are at least a couple of versions of Squatters out there. One is Imperial quality fur, the other is Superfine quality, which is thinner and lacks a liner. The Superfine version seems to come with a pre-bashed porkpie crown. I was drooling over the Squatter photos at David Morgan's site. One day I spotted this one on e-bay and I grabbed it. I'm not sure where mine came from. Morgan's have chinstrap holes, mine doesn't, but it's Imperial quality fur with a liner.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Daoud said:
.....according to their info both hats have a 73mm brim and a 10.5cm. crown....both have bound edges- so apart from the ribbons and different color choices ( and the wind trolley on the Campdraft) I can't see any differences.

OK, I just did a quick check with the tape and the Campdraft has a 73mm brim. The Squatter is dimensional 73mm x 70mm.

Those crown dimensions from EA are confusing. I think that's accurate for the pork pie crease that the Squatter ships with but not open crown. The Squatter is like 5 1/4 open and the Campdraft pushes 6 in. I think. The Campdraft crown is a smokestack and the Squatter has significant taper.

I'll post some Squatter/Campdraft side by side shots soon.

EA has my Cattleman in stock!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
Daoud, There are at least a couple of versions of Squatters out there. One is Imperial quality fur, the other is Superfine quality, which is thinner and lacks a liner. The Superfine version seems to come with a pre-bashed porkpie crown. I was drooling over the Squatter photos at David Morgan's site. One day I spotted this one on e-bay and I grabbed it. I'm not sure where mine came from. Morgan's have chinstrap holes, mine doesn't, but it's Imperial quality fur with a liner.

Don't forget unlined Imperial felt.

Chuck, does your Squatter have a dimensional brim?

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:
The Squatter is like 5 1/4 open and the Campdraft pushes 6 in. I think. The Campdraft crown is a smokestack and the Squatter has significant taper.

I'll post some Squatter/Campdraft side by side shots soon.

"Smokestack" that's a pretty good description for the Campdraft. If you want a tall crown, the Campdraft or the Federation are good choices. The Squatter seems to have more of a European like taper. IMO.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:
Don't forget unlined Imperial felt.

Chuck, does your Squatter have a dimensional brim?

It appears to be 3" front and back and 2-7/8" on the sides. I din't think it was a dimensional brim, but it appears to be, although ever so slight.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Thanks, everyone, for the dimensional info. It's all pretty confusing, this Akubra lore. Like on the Bushman I won on eBay the other day- unlike the current version, it has ventilation eyelets, no lining and is called "featherweight." I'm anxious to see it! I guess it just proves that these hats are whatever Akubra says they are, at the particular moment.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
New Vintage Mystery Akubra

Hey, y'all- I scored this tasty little number tonight- it's coming from overseas so probably will take a couple weeks to get here
0ad2_1.JPG
and I have no earthly idea what it is besides a "vintage fur felt Akubra." Probably will be too small but I'm sure someone will take it off my hands.......I'm hoping it will be something we haven't seen before or see very seldom......

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Daoud said:
Hey, y'all- I scored this tasty little number tonight- it's coming from overseas so probably will take a couple weeks to get here
0ad2_1.JPG
and I have no earthly idea what it is besides a "vintage fur felt Akubra." Probably will be too small but I'm sure someone will take it off my hands.......I'm hoping it will be something we haven't seen before or see very seldom......

Wow, I was curious about that hat myself. Please do give us the skinny once it arrives!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Daoud said:
0ad2_1.JPG

The ribbon looks like the one that came on my Capricorn. The shape of the hat looks similar also.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Daoud said:
Oh, I will! Like I said I'm afraid it will be too small for me- but I HAD to see what this hat was all about.

Good thing you are here, Daoud, because it look to me like the Squatters are taking over the place.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
No kiddin'. Shoot, if I'da known they were such nice lids I might have gotten one by now. I'll have to ask Hatsdirect if they can get one in for me. Not like I can afford one right now, with all I've spent on older Akubras in the last week or so.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Chuck Bobuck said:
The ribbon looks like the one that came on my Capricorn. The shape of the hat looks similar also.

You're right about that ribbon. I hope it's not just like the Capricorn ribbon, because it's the only thing I dislike about my Cap. Might not be too bad on a different hat. You're right about the shape. Very similar if not identical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld