Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Colby Jack said:
Here's the Akubra Adventurer (Not David Morgan's)...softest, floppiest hat I have...it ran a little tight.
I really wish they still sold this hat...I'd get another one size larger...:D

I like it. Do they still make this hat, maybe under a different name?

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Kao...I have seriously looked, and can't find it anywhere. The Outback Outlet in Pa. had a sale on these hats and a bunch of us jumped on it. Other than that, I haven't seen them offered anywhere else. Then a short time later...David Morgan came out with the "Explorer". There was a naming conflict with another makers hat, so they called it the Adventurer. It's very unique I think...like I stated...very soft, and it seems very light on the stiffener used...I've been told the Akubra "Fedora" or "Sydney"(DM) is similar in feel, but I haven't gotten my hands on one of those yet.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I have a Sydney, and its nice and soft but the felt is really thin and light. Your Adventurer looks more like the kind of felt I have on my Campdraft, soft and moderately thick. Maybe its a softer campdraft with a wide ribbon?

Oh well. Too bad they stopped making it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Aussie dealer to avoid: Hats By the Hundred

Okay, after an over three-month wait for a special order Carbon Grey Bogart with a black band, it finally arrived... and they sent me a BLACK Bogart. Not only is this not what I ordered, it's utterly annoying because if I had wanted it in black, I could have had it in September.

And I don't want it, because I simply can't wear a black hat without being mistaken for an ultra-Orthodox Jew... and I'm just a non-practicing-Reform Jew!

It's a typically well-made Akubra and it fits me way better out of the box than my other three Akubras did, but it's not what I ordered! D'oh!

I guess I'll be returning it for credit, unless they still have my Carbon Grey one on hand, and are willing to cover the return shipping cost to make up for their mistake...

This is a serious disappointment after the long wait.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You guys finally pushed me over the edge. Between this thread, the "soaring value" thread, and the "non-Indy crease" thread (because I have to admit I have never seen any of the movies and have no Ford fetish), I decided not to wait for the possible run of the grey Campdrafts so as to order both at once, and ordered a standard Fed IV in Moonstone now. The size issue has put me off from ordering before but the rising dollar value overcame it. Now for the waiting, but not too long perhaps; their e-mail stated five to ten days as it was in stock and being sent next post. Hats Direct certainly seems very customer oriented so I am hoping for the best! Except for my Selentino homburg, this is my first non-Stetson modern venture and I am worried about buying long distance without being able to try it on for proper sizing. Time will tell...

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to hear of your mishap, Doc.

Mr. P, you are going to love the Fed and moonstone is a great color for it.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
The first hat I ordered on line was from Hats By The Hundred, They shipped the hat loose in a box with nothing to hold the hat in place, one corner of the box was ripped open during shipping and the hat got a bit dirty but the worst part was the brim that was curled up all around from sliding in the box and hitting the sides.
I was still new to hats at the time and thought the hat was ruined and expected better for $150.00
I sent Hats By The Hundred an E-mail right away describing the condition of the hat and the lack of packing inside the box and their response was to ship me a new box at their expense.
Lucky for me The Hatter is not to far away from me and they had the hat looking like new.
Accidental damage and mistakes can happen from time to time but bad customer service is unforgivable to me.

MrHughes

New in Town
Doctor Strange said:
I guess I'll be returning it for credit, unless they still have my Carbon Grey one on hand, and are willing to cover the return shipping cost to make up for their mistake...

This is a serious disappointment after the long wait.

Hello Doc, what size is the hat?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's a 57 (US 7-1/8). Unlike my other Akubras, which were all a bit big at the start and required some serious sweating-in for the sweatband to conform to size (actually, my vintage-2003 Fed III is still a little big!), this one fits pretty true.

I paid $80 including the shipping, so if anybody's interested, I could let it go for that (plus shipping, of course - unless a NY-area Lounger wants to meet up personally.)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
G MAN said:
The first hat I ordered on line was from Hats By The Hundred, They shipped the hat loose in a box with nothing to hold the hat in place, one corner of the box was ripped open during shipping and the hat got a bit dirty but the worst part was the brim that was curled up all around from sliding in the box and hitting the sides.
I was still new to hats at the time and thought the hat was ruined and expected better for $150.00
I sent Hats By The Hundred an E-mail right away describing the condition of the hat and the lack of packing inside the box and their response was to ship me a new box at their expense.
Lucky for me The Hatter is not to far away from me and they had the hat looking like new.
Accidental damage and mistakes can happen from time to time but bad customer service is unforgivable to me.

They sent mine in a much bigger box than necessary - it was an Akubra box probably meant for a western hat - but it was fairly well supported by a cardboard ring and cone arrangement. (But I was surprised that it wasn't in a plastic bag, which is how all my other Akubras came.) However, they had taken the box apart and put it back together inside-out to hide the Akubra logo and other markings... and the bottom-side seal was very badly done with one piece of tape, and was nearly half open. I pulled it apart without using a blade.

Okay, so they're clearly not a first-rank dealer...

"they had taken the box apart and put it back together inside-out to hide the Akubra logo and other markings... "

I was in the Post Office buying stamps last week & saw a sign stating you can mail using your own boxes but all markings & printings must be blanked out. I've received some re-used boxes turned inside out lately from mail order catalogs... gtd

Seems unusual to me, especially if you are having a website & shipping internationally = get sturdy boxes that meet the need. I'm all for recycling, etc. but not at the risk of product damage & customer satisfaction. Shipping something to Aunt Martha & the kids it seems okay for... gtd

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
It's a 57 (US 7-1/8). Unlike my other Akubras, which were all a bit big at the start and required some serious sweating-in for the sweatband to conform to size (actually, my vintage-2003 Fed III is still a little big!), this one fits pretty true.

I paid $80 including the shipping, so if anybody's interested, I could let it go for that (plus shipping, of course - unless a NY-area Lounger wants to meet up personally.)
Hey, Doctor,

I just sent you a PM on a source that may still have an immediately available carbon grey Bogart in size 57.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Akubra hat news...

Seeing as this is an "all-things-Akubra" thread...I was just reading an article in my latest "Guns of the Old West" magazine (Winter 2009) about the Beretta Renegade lever rifle. Towards the end of the piece, he breaks off to talk about his Akubra Snowy River from David Morgan, and that it (and all western style Akubras) make great hats for western shooting (SASS & CAS). Now...no place in the article is he pictured in a hat, but at least he dropped the name Akubra and DM's info.:D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe