Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
If I were looking for a tall crowned "western" style Akubra i'd go with the Pilbara in the Regency fawn that DM sells. Has a nice braided leather band as well and you could steam a real nice western style of brim roll on that puppy. Then you could get a pair of wide sq. toed Ropers, a pair of tight butt Wranglers about 6 inches too long so that they crunched up at the boots and you'd look like you were a bull rider at the Mesquite Rodeo up here :) I do like the Pilbara as a western style .

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Incidentally, I was just looking at the Pilbara on DM's website. It's the first hat I looked at, and the hat that made me decide to purchase a western-style hat.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the Pilbara for three reasons:

(1.) It seems to have some taper to the crown, as shown in DM's photos and on other pics I've found online.
(2.) I do not like the ventilation holes in the crown. I can take the horizontal ones on hats like the Bronco or Burke & Willis, but the diamond pattern...nuh-uh.
(3.) I don't much like the Regency Fawn color.

It's a great-looking hat, just not appealing to me [huh].

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
... which is really not a "mid" anything :) It's really a nice dark chocolate brown which the flash in this pic has lightened up but believe me, it's DARK :)

Nice! Been wearing my new carbon gray SM all weekend, but now I might have to get one in brown ...

You'll need to get in touch with John Helmer Haberdashers in OR. as they are the ONLY domestic retailer of this color. Ask for Louise as she handled my order and is GREAT to work with!!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
... which is really not a "mid" anything :) It's really a nice dark chocolate brown which the flash in this pic has lightened up but believe me, it's DARK :)

Squatter1022.jpg
Very nice! I had one of those. If I had ordered it one size up, I'd still have it, too!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of which, should I actually size up for my next Akubra? My Federation IV was loose for the first month or so, but it has gradually shrank since then, and it now fits slightly tight unless I sweat in it (which loosens it comfortably). It's got to the point that I have slight, red marks around my forehead after taking off the hat, having worn it for a while before hand. The marks went away after a couple of minutes. Granted, this is a decent enough fitting hat anyway, it's not unbearably tight, and I can imagine the extra tightness being useful in wind, but should I size up if I go for a Stylemaster and/or Campdraft?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of which, should I actually size up for my next Akubra? My Federation IV was loose for the first month or so, but it has gradually shrank since then, and it now fits slightly tight unless I sweat in it (which loosens it comfortably). It's got to the point that I have slight, red marks around my forehead after taking off the hat, having worn it for a while before hand. The marks went away after a couple of minutes. Granted, this is a decent enough fitting hat anyway, it's not unbearably tight, and I can imagine the extra tightness being useful in wind, but should I size up if I go for a Stylemaster and/or Campdraft?
All 4 of my Akubra's are the Imperial felt grade and my experience has been this: Both of my Bushmans I ordered one size up but they are a much heavier felt than my Squatter and much, much heavier than my Stylemaster. After wearing one Bushmaster for now over 30 years and the other for around 3.5 years and in ALL sort of weather, they are fitting PERFECT. My Squatter I ordered in my size and has been through several rainstorms and fits the same as when I first put it on. I've not yet gotten my Stylemaster wet in the rain but have sweated it pretty good several times and so far, NO change in fit. This is my experience so far for what it is worth :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone had a discoloration problem with Willow Green? The lines where my former crease in my Squatter was are now faintly outlined in a light tan, almost orangish color.

It is not much, and doesn't really show up in photos. I will try to get a good picture, but for now, has anyone else had any problems with color?

Neophyte

Yeah, my willow green Squatter became kinda blotchy (patches of lighter green among the dark green).

...Well, there's also the bloodstains on the hat as well (don't ask lol)!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, my willow green Squatter became kinda blotchy (patches of lighter green among the dark green).

...Well, there's also the bloodstains on the hat as well (don't ask lol)!

I know you said don't ask... but bloodstains? From the trimming or validly earned?

Neophyte

I know you said don't ask... but bloodstains? From the trimming or validly earned?

Somehow I had cut my fingers while working outside, and I hadn't noticed or felt it. So when I grabbed my hat by the pinch to take it off, well...

You can decide for youself whether that is "validly earned" or not :D!

Oh, and J.B., regarding your question:

I'm not sure if the shrinkage of your FedIV is natural or if it is a result of the heavy usage you've gotten out of the hat. I was going to suggest that you may be a Long Oval, but I don't know all the details.

That said, it couldn't hurt to order a size up. At the very least you can pack the sweatband [huh].

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Somehow I had cut my fingers while working outside, and I hadn't noticed or felt it. So when I grabbed my hat by the pinch to take it off, well...

You can decide for youself whether that is "validly earned" or not :D!

Seems straight to me.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Oh, and J.B., regarding your question:

I'm not sure if the shrinkage of your FedIV is natural or if it is a result of the heavy usage you've gotten out of the hat. I was going to suggest that you may be a Long Oval, but I don't know all the details.

That said, it couldn't hurt to order a size up. At the very least you can pack the sweatband [huh].

It would have to be the result of heavy usage for sure, as I've worn that thing through Perdition's flames and back, countless times. Mountain climbing, hill hiking, jogging, at the beach during summer, in Death Valley (literally) and other desert terrain, and in the damp, cold snow of the mountains. Maybe the Stylemaster won't see much of that kind of action, though. I hope to preserve that one better as a dress hat, if I get it.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
I'm glad I bought my Stylemaster a size up. The 62 fits me pretty good, although a little snug front & back. But on the advice of the hat shop dude, I grabbed a 63 instead. Very glad I did - it fits perfectly now. With the shrinkage of the sweatband, I'm sure the 62 would be too snug now - not necessarily uncomfortably so, but as a result the new hat I'm waiting on is a 63 too.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Akubra RM Williams - I'm pretty sure this is a Campdraft without a much less snappy brim
e10cda10.jpg

Before re-bash (RM Williams Bash)
642edc79.jpg

b532d800.jpg

New Bash
fa950878.jpg

3f0794fd.jpg

d3646593.jpg

Cool gold liner on this one too
a309b90a.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
+1!

You've got some very enviable hats there, Mike! I'd like to find an R.M someday. I narrowly missed one on eBay back in the spring, I like the bash they put in them, though a mid brown Campdraft would do the same thing.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
FINALLY !!! Something other than a CD Akubra !!! ....

.... Rodkins, thanks for showing your "other" Akubra's !! If one were just visiting this Forum ( as I did awhile back) you'd think Akubra only made ONE hat style, the Camp Draft !! I especially liked the Riverina and the R.M Williams (with the original crease though) alot !! To add to the show of variety of Akubra's I'll add some pics of my 3.5 yo Bushman I'm wearing today. Pics were taken after it had dried out from the day before wearing in the rain all day. I had not brushed it out yet. It has been my favorite Akubra style for over 30 years now :)

Bushman1.jpg

Bushmaster2.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe