Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Rodkins said:
I am looking at the Stylemaster in acorn fawn. Anything I should be thinking of before I order?

Good choice. I found it difficult to choose between the Acorn Fawn and the Mid-Brown: I went with the Brown but either would have satisfied me. The brown works better with my personal style, I think, but I may get an Acorn Fawn hat at some future date...

For what it's worth, on my monitor the Acorn Fawn Stylemaster on Akubra's site looks very accurate to the real-life colour, more so than some of the other examples on Akubra's website. That doesn't mean it'll look the same on your monitor, though.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
Welcome to the Lounge, Rodkins! I haven't personally purchased anything from Everything Australian [I mainly buy from Hats Direct and Aussie Bush Hats], but from what I've heard about them, am confident that you'll have a pleasant experience.

I'm trying to think of anything I've read about the Stylemaster in terms of sizing... coming up blank. To save the possibility of expensive return/exchange postage fees, make sure you get the proper size. A figure which I assume you know. ;)

The one universal thing I've learned about hat vendors, they're always willing to answer questions, even the ones I feel stupid for asking.

The main thing is, do you have any questions about the Stylemaster? If so, there are many here who are ready to help.

Hope you enjoy the Lounge, it's a great place!

Randy

P.S If you don't mind my asking, what part of Orlando are you from? I ask because it's rare to see another Orlando member.

Thanks Randy! I'm a 7 3/8 (59) and so far every hat that size seems to fit me well. From what I've read on here the Akubra sizing is fairly standard so I'm hoping 7 3/8 works for them also.

I live just south of downtown near Michigan and Delaney.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
DAJE said:
Good choice. I found it difficult to choose between the Acorn Fawn and the Mid-Brown: I went with the Brown but either would have satisfied me. The brown works better with my personal style, I think, but I may get an Acorn Fawn hat at some future date...

For what it's worth, on my monitor the Acorn Fawn Stylemaster on Akubra's site looks very accurate to the real-life colour, more so than some of the other examples on Akubra's website. That doesn't mean it'll look the same on your monitor, though.
Thanks for the input! I've been looking at the acorn fawn stylemaster thinking maybe I'll get a charcoal fedora in the future.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rodkins said:
So from what I can tell on this thread my best bet for getting my first Akubra is from Everything Australian. I am looking at the Stylemaster in acorn fawn. Any thing I should be thinking of before I order?
Thanks,
Mike

Welcome to the Lounge!

Having now ordered from both EA and HD, here's my opinion. Service-wise, they are both excellent, some of the best people I've ever talked to and ordered from.

Having said that, here's the difference: HatsDirect cost more, but carries more colors for the products it has. EverythingAustralian, on the other hand, seems to have a couple of hats in a couple of colors, and most everything else has to be special ordered, "the wait of the damned."

So, if you've found that hat you want and the color is in stock at EA, pull the damn trigger, because you're about to save a good bit of cash. If you have the patience for the "wait of the damned", then pull that trigger too. If not, I'm sure you'll be just as happy with the quality and service at HatsDirect.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
Welcome to the Lounge!

Having now ordered from both EA and HD, here's my opinion. Service-wise, they are both excellent, some of the best people I've ever talked to and ordered from.

Having said that, here's the difference: HatsDirect cost more, but carries more colors for the products it has. EverythingAustralian, on the other hand, seems to have a couple of hats in a couple of colors, and most everything else has to be special ordered, "the wait of the damned."

So, if you've found that hat you want and the color is in stock at EA, pull the damn trigger, because you're about to save a good bit of cash. If you have the patience for the "wait of the damned", then pull that trigger too. If not, I'm sure you'll be just as happy with the quality and service at HatsDirect.
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the selection and wait times and go with one of the two.
:)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the forum, Rodkins!

Oh, and for the record, the crown height of my Federation IV measures about 4 1/2 inches in the front, and 4 inches in the back. It is also creased as a telescope crown with a rather narrow front pinch.

For other Fed IV owners, what are your crown measurements? Would you say that my current setup is rather low crowned for a Fed? Actually, if I wanted to, I could bring it down even lower to 4 1/4 inches, just to the point where it fits to the top of my head. I'm wondering how low these Feds can go. I may experiment with the low crown thing.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Rodkins said:
Thanks Randy! I'm a 7 3/8 (59) and so far every hat that size seems to fit me well. From what I've read on here the Akubra sizing is fairly standard so I'm hoping 7 3/8 works for them also.

I live just south of downtown near Michigan and Delaney.
Welcome to the Lounge, Rodkins!

59 ought to be fine for you. I'm a 7 1/2 LO, and a 60 is perfect for me. I've ordered 3 hats from EA and, sadly, 0 from Hatsdirect. Sam has always taken good care of me. Two of my orders have been Stylemasters, and I have recommended the Fawn Stylemaster on more than one occasion. It's a great hat!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the help and reassurance, guys. I ordered mine last night/this morning from EA and Sam was very helpful. The obsession grows...:eek:

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Akubra Stylemaster in Mid-Brown

IMG_9353.jpg

IMG_9389.jpg

The colour in the first shot seems pretty accurate on my screen, but your mileage may vary. The second pic is a bit yellowy.

Old digicam, quickie self-portrait photos, just taking advantage of a rare sunny day at this point.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Stylemaster

Great hat! Thanks for posting. The mid-brown may have to be my next...ok maybe third color after I receive my acorn and then maybe a moonstone or dark gray. Looks great.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's a nice hat, I actually am tempted to order another dark brown sort of color again, one day, even though I already have a dark brown Fed IV.

I should probably mention that I actually wore the Fed IV while boating on a lake this past week and weekend on a vacation to the mountains, even with the dangers of loosing it in the water or getting it wet. Perhaps it was a bit foolish, but it fit me tight enough that it held well even at high speeds. Basically, the reason I wore it was out of function; to protect my face from the sun. I didn't wear it while on a raft (banana boat) tied to the back end of the boat though. I think that would be almost comparable to wearing a leather jacket while water skiing, like The Fonz did in the "Jumping the Shark" episode of Happy Days, lol (that is, if wearing it on a boat wasn't a comparison enough). In other words, it would serve little to no purpose other than to be worn as a flashy, stylistic statement when the situation clearly puts it at a particularly high risk.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge DAJE!

I had a mid-brown Stylemaster at one time and I loved it. I hoped when I ordered it that it would have the same green mottling (under certain lighting conditions) that I'd seen on some of the mid-brown CDs. Unfortunately, it didn't have that. I have to say, though, that it was a very nice, rich, sort of milk chocolate color.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
My first stylemaster

I just received the e-mail from Everything Australian - my first stylemaster has shipped! Should be here by the end of next week.

Neophyte

Hey everyone!

Alright, I need the opinions and experiences of Akubra aficionados on this problem.

It's finally gotten too hot to wear my felt hats (and right after I just ordered a Bluegrass Green Campdraft. The iron is palpable).

So I'm looking for a straw. I'm interested in these two hats:

1.) DavidMorgan's Panama Fedora: http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1319
and

2.) Akubra's Balmoral straw: http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=70&returncat=Straw+Hats&returnpage=0

Anyone have any experience with either of these hats?

James71

A-List Customer
As you know I am a huge Akubra fan, but to be honest I dont like their straws. They arent really straws, but made out of woven plastic, and whilst I am sure that they are very hardy and certainly look the part, they feel like a plastic box.

You live in America man, get a cool for real panama.

Neophyte

James71 said:
As you know I am a huge Akubra fan, but to be honest I dont like their straws. They arent really straws, but made out of woven plastic, and whilst I am sure that they are very hardy and certainly look the part, they feel like a plastic box.

You live in America man, get a cool for real panama.

A Panama may be too fragile for college life, and the weather here is quite unpredictable a lot of the time. It's not extreme weather, but it does have the annoying tendency to catch you by surprise.

Thanks for the thoughts, James71. I was a tad worried about that myself.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
A Panama may be too fragile for college life, and the weather here is quite unpredictable a lot of the time. It's not extreme weather, but it does have the annoying tendency to catch you by surprise.

Thanks for the thoughts, James71. I was a tad worried about that myself.

A panama works great for me at school (although I forgot it at home this year)

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Hey everyone!

Alright, I need the opinions and experiences of Akubra aficionados on this problem.

It's finally gotten too hot to wear my felt hats (and right after I just ordered a Bluegrass Green Campdraft. The iron is palpable).

So I'm looking for a straw. I'm interested in these two hats:

1.) DavidMorgan's Panama Fedora: http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1319
and

2.) Akubra's Balmoral straw: http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=70&returncat=Straw+Hats&returnpage=0

Anyone have any experience with either of these hats?

I have that David Morgan hat. It's comfortable, looks good and breathes well. It has pinch reinforcement on the inside of the crown, and is Teflon coated to help make it water resistant, so it's pretty hardy for a Panama, but I've never worn it in the rain, so I don't know how well it stands up.

30928_1402515579459_1129412022_1160232_2044373_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe