Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Did a little tweaking a few minutes ago. It didn't have enough of a dramatic slope from the apex of the crown down to the back (or "rake" as I learned from daizawaguy) for my taste. Also, since it's a size larger than I usually get it's slightly loose, so I lowered the back of the crown to give it more rake, which also lets the back of the dome sit slightly on the back of my head. It doesn't bother me (I just can't stand it if a crease sits on the top or front of my head) and it keeps the hat from slipping down too close to my ears. Of course, what I term "slightly loose" many guys would call "a perfect fit"...I've just gotten too used to making do with hats that are too snug front to back because of the long oval thing. Anyway, here 'tis, still damp.

bgcdrake.jpg

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Salty O'Rourke said:
This photo shoved me over the edge - I ordered a BGGCD today!

Like I need yet another wide-brim tall-crown thin ribbon....lol

Well, it arrived from Everything Australian in less than a week! I wasn't here to take receipt on Saturday so I picked it up at the PO this afternoon.

It's raining today, so I had to take these shots indoors, under flourescent light, with my cell phone - needless to say you'll have to use your imagination to see the color. Even the Akubra retail sites can't reproduce the color accurately. The closest I've seen is Beaver Brand's Bottle Green on this chart.

Open crown, right out of the box:

5031278337_d8c8bbc0de.jpg

After a quick bash, with a little steam on the brim and side dents:

5031400689_9a075ec314.jpg

5031400693_d12dd86653.jpg

Noggin shots:

5031860490_f370e2f522.jpg

5031234543_c64e06a0ba.jpg

The fit is a little loose but I'm told it will ride up, er, draw up, with wear...

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Hey Salty;
Mr. E is right, it'll conform to your size and head shape with wear. My Tawny Fawn Campdraft was a bit large when I got it, Ron at Hatsdirect advised me on what size to order after I measured my head, he said it should be a little loose when new that it would make itself fit with wear, he was right. If you want to speed things up a bit, get it out in a rain. That'll work! Yours looks great, I like your bash and it looks good on you.

God Bless - Preacher Man

uh, don't you need about 8?

Salty O'Rourke said:
This photo shoved me over the edge - I ordered a BGGCD today!

Like I need yet another wide-brim tall-crown thin ribbon....lol

let's see, you need...
-light brown / silver belly
-dark brown
-dark grey
-light grey / silver
-black (for the dressier occasions)
-cream (for the dressier occassions during the summer)
-darker blue / navy
-moss / green

and may be a few hues between ;)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, the decisions...

It may finally be time to purchase the CD in Silverbelly. However, I bike around campus alot, so a hat from DavidMorgan with a chinstrap might be a welcome addition. Then again, the Akubra Bushman is a rather large hat, even compared to the CD. A Bushman with chinstrap from DM is about the same price as a CD from HD...they are both thin ribbons and lighter colors. The CD would need to be reblocked (and I'm not sure how the crown of the Bushman compares to the CD).

...Oh well, the longer I way the pros and cons, the greater chance there is that I'll save my money lol.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
...However, I bike around campus alot, so a hat from DavidMorgan with a chinstrap might be a welcome addition....

Or a helmet. But whatever floats your boat.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
Oh, the decisions...

It may finally be time to purchase the CD in Silverbelly. However, I bike around campus alot, so a hat from DavidMorgan with a chinstrap might be a welcome addition. Then again, the Akubra Bushman is a rather large hat, even compared to the CD. A Bushman with chinstrap from DM is about the same price as a CD from HD...they are both thin ribbons and lighter colors. The CD would need to be reblocked (and I'm not sure how the crown of the Bushman compares to the CD).

...Oh well, the longer I way the pros and cons, the greater chance there is that I'll save my money lol.

Either weigh the helmet sounds like a fine idea my friend.
Tom D.

Neophyte

...true.

lol

Alright then, situation #2:

Chinstrap could be hung around neck to suspend hat over the back, then helmet put on. Helmet can easily be locked with bike.

Yes...it's just insane enough to work lol.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That seems like a better idea. I am a big fan of helmets.

Alternatively, you could by a modern Open Road.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Did something different with my BG Campdraft this evening, turned the C-crown to a diamond with a rear pinch. Apologies for the crappy iPhone pics.

bgcdleft.jpg

bgcdback.jpg

bgcdright.jpg

bgcdtop.jpg

bgcdfront.jpg

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
BG Campdraft

You guys inspired me. I just order my blugrass green campdraft this morning. I have a long 10 days ahead...

Neophyte

Let's see...that makes myself, Mr. E Train, Salty O'Rourke, Jimmy the Lid, and finally Rodkins, all within a two-month span lol...lots of support for Sam and everyone at EA :D!

By the way, Rodkins, can't wait to see your CD. You've had a great run of hats so far, I'm sure the CD will fit right in.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Let's see...that makes myself, Mr. E Train, Salty O'Rourke, Jimmy the Lid, and finally Rodkins, all within a two-month span lol...lots of support for Sam and everyone at EA :D!

By the way, Rodkins, can't wait to see your CD. You've had a great run of hats so far, I'm sure the CD will fit right in.

I am fighting the urge on this... My big worry though is them running out and never having them again.:eek:

*note to self, step away from EA, you've got enough hats.... Umm, no you don't... which was that the angel or the devil on my shoulder? :p

Randy

Neophyte

theinterchange said:
I am fighting the urge on this... My big worry though is them running out and never having them again.:eek:

*note to self, step away from EA, you've got enough hats.... Umm, no you don't... which was that the angel or the devil on my shoulder? :p

Randy

Randy, you should purchase one of these hats. However, if you want to put it off for a while (it will get you eventually :p), I suggest you contact EA and ask them if they will be getting more CD's in your size if they happen to run out.

All I can say is that you're stronger than I lol.

Rick Blaine

theinterchange said:

Randy

Yeah, right now the greenback dollah bill is taking a right royal arse-kicking from both the £ sterling (not so bad) & the OZ $ (pretty bad) & the Loonie, (AWFUL) too. Wait 'til a better exchange rate... buy low, sell high... 'course, it could also continue to trend in this direction, I dunno...So right now CHRISTYS" are still a good deal, AKUBRA- not, BILTMORE- REALLY not! The international hat exchange
[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe