Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Teamster options questions

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

I am thinking about ordering an Aero Teamster. I like the Thurston fit process idea and the options of choosing the lining, sleeve and body length. With choices sometimes come unintended consequences.....

I like the long jacket length of the Teamster. I would like it to cover all my pants pockets but not be as long as a car coat. I think I would like the jacket to be as long as possible, but are there drawbacks to this?
Is wool lining really warm and does it add significant weight to the jacket? I live on the west coast, it doesn't really get that cold and I want to be able to wear a sweater under the jacket anyway. I'm thinking cotton sateen lining if that is an option, or rayon for durability.
Lastly, the leather. I have tried to read all the threads I could find on this, however I'm still not sure. I love the leather on my Lost Worlds jackets and would like as close to that as possible, ie colorfast, thick horsehide that is as waterproof as possible. I don't want any leather that will rub color off on furniture and I don't care about an aged look or how soft and pliable the leather is, just seeing the grain of the horsehide is good enough for me. I'm thinking the FQHH Chromexcel is going to be it but am willing to listen to other options.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, I look forward to hearing thoughts from those of you who have these jackets.

Bernie

wdw

One Too Many
I'm on my third Teamster. The first was a disaster, as it came in far too long at about 31.5" (made under the previous management), covering my pants pockets and it just looked weird. They recognised it and remade it shorter, to around mid-pants pockets, where I believe it's meant to sit.

It's not a long jacket like the Stockman, Cheyenne or VDR. At most it's mid-length, coming in between 27.5-28.5" or so, as opposed to the 30"+ of the long jackets. You'll see plenty of Teamster pics here, but I doubt if any cover the pants pockets unless the guy is relatively short.

My advice would be to get one of the long jackets if length is critical to you, but your height might work in your favour for the Teamster.

As for the wool lining, it's actually pretty thin and not particularly warm at all, which is a good thing. I'm no expert, but I get the impression most guys in your area just go for wool.

As for the leather, I'm sure Aero/Thurston will do their best to get you what you want. Colour transfer has never been a problem for me, but some used to get some on a cordovan batch from years ago, although I never did.

Good luck in your quest anyway.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As a point of reference I am 6'2" and 185 lbs. my Teamster is a size 42 with a 28.5" back that I would not want more than 1" longer. Mine is lined with moleskin body shell and cotton drill sleeves. It is brown FQHH that is highly water resistant. Vicenza seal MWHH would be another alternative for lighter weight. It is my go to winter coat that I often layer with a Filson vest. wdw who just posted was of immense help as I worked out the details of my Teamster.

Reactions: wdw

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I forgot to mention two drawbacks to a long coat in heavyweight leather. One is reaching into your back pants pockets. The other is sitting in a vehicle as it rides up past your line of vision. :eek:

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Mine is on order with FQHH and corduroy in the body and moleskin in the sleeves. Size 40, as is my highwayman. I'm 5'10, 185 lbs. Fanch and wdw were both extremely helpful in their posts for my order.

Mine was also ordered with a back yoke as with Aero's August jacket.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Thanks. These are helpful comments.
I'm 5'10" at 180.

Not looking for a super long jacket, just long enough to keep my **s dry when it rains.

wdw

One Too Many
Not looking for a super long jacket, just long enough to keep my **s dry when it rains.

I'm 5'11". My second Teamster was 28.5" and my third 27.5". I suggest you compare those lengths to a jacket you have and your pants pockets and take it from there. Like Fanch, my advice would be to go for a maximum of 28.5". Failing that, a longer jacket.

Let us know what you decide on anyway.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Mine was ordered with 26.5" sleeves and 29.5" body (my cafe racer is 27" body, I like it a little longer and a thick fleece will pad the shoulders and lift it up a smidge. I also have it with storm cuffs for cold weather wear.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Sockeye I would like to see it when you get it.

I am puzzled by Carrie's recommendation to get a size 40. I plan on layering under it, which is why I am undecided about the lining. And the size itself frankly.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Thanks Fanch but no umbrella unless I'm holding it for a lady, then my a** is getting wet anyway. I prefer hands free with a hat.

Sockeye it must be cold where you live and that two tone is an adventure!

Wdw I will take your advice and mock up the various lengths. Three copies of this jacket! I thought two LW Downtowns and Easy Riders was enough!

Around here it doesn't get that cold, medium sweater tops so it probably won't affect the fit that much. It doesn't on the LW jackets. Sounds like the lining isn't that much of an issue, which is maybe why the size 40 is a good call.

Thanks gentlemen, I'm working through it.
Cheers all !

wdw

One Too Many
Three copies of this jacket! I thought two LW Downtowns and Easy Riders was enough!

Bernie, I only have one now. The first was rebuilt and I stupidly sold the second to fund another jacket. I missed having the Teamster, though, so had to buy another to fill that void.

I have a 40" and the chest measures 23", so see if that works for you.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Ok wdw, that is very helpful, 40 is going to be the correct size for me after all.

And I did surmise that your 3 copies were sequential but still. Mine are too, though having bought it's replacement, my size 44 Easy Rider is still here but looking for a new home in the Classified section.

Thanks again and cheers!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here are a couple of old pics of my Teamster. Bern what is your chest and waist in inches?

2013-04-14 11.05.25.jpg 2013-04-14 11.07.12.jpg

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Fanch, nice look and nice length on that. Looks like mid pocket length or at least covering the tops of the pockets in front.

I might go just a bit longer....

My chest is 41-42 and waist 35-36

I hear you on the getting in the car with heavy horsehide. I don't mind, as long as the jacket fits me when I get out of the car!
Thanks for the help!

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Fanch's is a great example of a perfect fit on him. his broad shoulders put him in a 42, but he clearly has room in the body to layer.

Although alpaca is definitely warmer, none of the linings are that warm (except shearling) as leather conducts heat too well. Leaving room to layer is the ticket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld