Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero "Jerky" Horsehide vs. "Smooth" FQHH

BobJ

Practically Family
Aero's seal jerky HH will rub off and show the teacore color underneath. I have a jerky A2 and on the neck i see red coming out. However, not sure if this is with all their jerky, or that particular one was overdyed.[/QUOTe

The red showing through the inner neck is characteristic of the seal jerky. I've always found that a bit odd, since wear on the seams and other areas reveals a light brown under layer.

I like the jerky too. Mine is soft, drapey, and silky. It's got great grain, which is what 'jerky' means, after all, and it's plenty thick and tough. I use mine for serious outdoor wear, it's seen plenty of rain, snow, salt spray, damp fog, grass, dirt, sand, dog slobber, baby spit-up, guacamole, salsa, and spaghetti sauce. It's pushed through brush and tree branches, leaned against driftwood logs on the beach, boulders, and cinder-block walls, has been slept in several times, and worn through countless naps. And it is aging with mellow character and grace.

I don't have a camera or smartphone, so I can't easily share pictures, but someday I'll have my son in law take some and get them posted here.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Further to all the info before, for anyone new to the thread. I have attached some pics of my ‘old’ Aero 15142 Seal Jerky. These pics were after some months and you can see how it developed some character (creases, grain popping out - really nice - although I did lightly rub some of the edges to give it a more worn effect). It did have some ‘reddy’ undertones.

View attachment 55922
View attachment 55924
View attachment 55923
View attachment 55925
View attachment 55926

THIS IS IT! THIS is the color leather that I am looking for! If my new Jerky HH looks like this, I may just pass out! Perfectly executed and perfectly worn! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

zebedee

One Too Many
For me, battered seal was a much better choice than seal jerky- I found the latter to have a very dry hand and a far paler 'wear off' effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld