Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice and opinions please... date this jacket

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
thanks, Anon'

anon` said:
I was thinking '39-'49 as well, until I noticed that wool-label that BT mentioned. I've recently come across at least four suits with a very similar pattern in the weave, all from that decade. Given the sheer numbers of '70s-vintage stuff I've seen that makes a darn good approximation of '40s-vintage, I'd have to say '70s, also.

I'm normally way snobby about post-'62 stuff. Not so here... I'd have snapped that one up super fast if I'd found it at a thrift store! Great find :)

(Also, I've found other sources that indicate the '49-and-later union label with the ® symbol came into use in '62 and remained so until '76. I don't have any proof of the last-used year, however, though '76 was the year that the ACWA merged with the TWA to became the ACTWU.)

I saw the belted back and tried it on, and it was all over! I walked up to the counter without knowing the price ($35)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
anon` said:
I was thinking '39-'49 as well, until I noticed that wool-label..........I'd have to say '70s, also.

Thunder concurs with the consensus on manufacture date but added that the jacket didn't have a 70's look. ;)

thunderw21 said:
As others have said, early 1970s.

thunderw21 said:
Quite frankly, I don't think it looks '70s at all.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
RE: the "look" of the Jacket- I think, after having seen a few of these jackets here- that the cloth, construction and detailing of the distinguish them quite clearly from one from the "desired era".
With these Vintage-esque styled '70s jackets they are usually betrayed by the buttoning height/lapel closure height, lapel shape, lack of waist suppression/shoulder and underarm tailoring/construction, half-belt height, pockets and pocket flaps... all this conspires against it being a "'30s looker".
I don't believe it's a convincing "30s wearer".

Add the details of the Jacket's interior-
the lining style, label style/font/graphic, the "Woolmark" and Union Label and you have a concrete set of information, which takes it firmly out of the Golden Era.

I'm not trying to be mean spirited- just reiterating.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust