Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Fedora Lounge Akubra Hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffer

Practically Family
Stoney said:
I agree with Redpop4 in that there is more agreement in this thread than disagreement

The reason I posted the graphics of Cagney's hat from The Public Enemy is that it seems to fit what has been basically agreed upon...

A) No taper
B) Tall Crown
C) Wide Ribbon

Correct me if that is not the case, I can hear you coming already griffer lol ;
the FL Logo fits that description as well and yes I know Cagney's hat has a bow in the back, but we're talking about the general shape here....

What has not been generally agreed upon is...

A) Width of Brim
B) Edge type: Raw, Welted or Ribbon Bound.
C) Colors

I think the Cagney hat looks a bit tapered and the brim is too stingy.

So here's my thought- make the brim wider than the Cagney, but raw. Then Akubra can cut to order.

As to color, let's pick a unique sage grey that won't be a charcoal or steel. A warm mossy grey where the green is the suggestion, but next to any grey would be distinct. Ribbon, well, I would slap a green/black, or midnight blue/black on that in a second. Tonally, it would be dark.

From a distance it will read as dark grey and black ribbon, closer inspection and sunlight would change that. I have a Lauren corduroy blazer that is this exact color- Coal. Depending on the light, surroundings, it reads as a smoky coal black or a hunter green. It is one of the most ingteresting colors I have seen.

Oh, and open crown for us DIYers and a factory tear drop for those want pre-blocked.

Foot is now down....

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I'd agree on all points made by Griffer, except that I think it should just come open crown. Honestly, a teardrop or center dent is so easy to put in a hat, and if we get a felt from Akubra that is soft enough, the hassle of steam can even be avoided. I remember the felt on the Akubra "Fedora" from hatsdirect was very soft and pliable and needed very little exersion (sp?) to shape.
I think we should be making something that is elusive in the modern market ...colors that are rarer to find but still masculine in tone (aka not pink...no offense to the pinkos in the lounge), the untapered crown, the wide ribbon, etc.
Reproducing hats similar to those still on the market and readily available, a la the Open Road/Stratoliner, Borsalino Alessandria, or Indiana Jones looks, seems superfluous. But then, the look should be rather conservative and versatile with just enough flair to bear the Fedora Lounge pedigree. It should fit in with a suit to the office as easily as with tweeds and leather jackets in the country. Yes, very vague, but these are a few guidelines that I think the hat should follow if it should suit the needs and aesthetics of The Fedora Lounge.

On brims...
I know this is up for a poll, but I don't know if Akubra will cut the brim to multiple dimensions, raw edge or not, when they create a pretty big run of hats like this. A good option would be to follow in the footsteps of the Federation- offer one width brim that is uniform for all sizes. So it's a 2 3/4" brim, whether its a size 6 7/8 or a 7 7/8. The end user can then recut it to any shorter width as desired...I've cut down the raw edge of both of my Akubra Federations. So, if it's a 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" brim you desire, then all you need is some tailor chalk, a ruler, some cheap sandpaper, and a sharp pair of scissors (all available from your local general,fabric, 99 cent, or dollar store). Asking a female friend, sibling, or spouse with a steadier hand than most of our brutish mitts may help ease the process, too. All in all, it's a 15-20 minute process...something to do while waiting for the tea kettle to boil.

Now the real question- what color should the liner be? How about a shocking deep crimson, like the original run of Federations and Fedora models, or an electric blue, like Beaver Brand? :p Just playin'--white white white!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
griffer said:
As to color, let's pick a unique sage grey that won't be a charcoal or steel. A warm mossy grey where the green is the suggestion, but next to any grey would be distinct. Ribbon, well, I would slap a green/black, or midnight blue/black on that in a second. Tonally, it would be dark.

From a distance it will read as dark grey and black ribbon, closer inspection and sunlight would change that. I have a Lauren corduroy blazer that is this exact color- Coal. Depending on the light, surroundings, it reads as a smoky coal black or a hunter green. It is one of the most ingteresting colors I have seen.

In my experience, "uncolors" like this can be frustrating--they're iether really versatile and go with anything, or they coordinate with absolutely nothing.

griffer

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
In my experience, "uncolors" like this can be frustrating--they're iether really versatile and go with anything, or they coordinate with absolutely nothing.

Then clearly we should make sure the "uncolor" is the former, rather than the latter. And a very merry unbirthday to you, Orgetorix! ;)

I agree with Mr. Rover's earlier points- open crown, self bash it is. Raw edge, trim to personal taste.

As to liner, deep crimson actually sounds fantastic!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I suppose it will be for Sator who is acting as liaison on this project to say finally 'this is it'.

I very much like the idea of a creative lining color to set things apart, at least for the initial pre-order run. As for an 'odd' color offering for the hat itsel, again, could perhaps a limited pre-order run be made for those who are interested in that with more traditional colors offered on an ongoing basis?

What's the latest scoop out there, Sator?

R

Red Beard

I'd love a Navy Blue or Green, and Akubra is already set up for doing both. Failing those, I'd pick a light tan (Tawny Fawn). If it's successful enough, I don't see why we couldn't have them made in multiple colors, though.

Here's what my ideal hat would be for this:

Navy Blue or Green
5 3/4 Crown
2 1/2 Brim with raw edge
16 ligne contrasting ribbon (or even 12, which would be closest to the logo I think, unless I'm seeing it wrong)
Fancy liner

That'd be my choice, but I could go with anything.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Let's just make it a homburg and be done with it.

Jokes aside, I think that (as mentioned earlier) a stereotype of the FL logo hat would be our best choice, at this point. Give it a large variety of colors, and maybe a variety of specs as well, and I think that the majority of s would be satisfied.

I also like the idea of a creative liner. That got me fired up.

griffer

Practically Family
Um, I don't want a tyrolean green.

For the record, my suggestion was an 'uncolor' called coal that had a green caste. Maybe the felt has nanocytes that alter nanoprism of silica within the felt to change the color, I dunno.

Either way, very different than a 'green' hat; I wasn't recommending we model the hat on the Jolly Green giant logo, but on the FL logo.

And a green hat with a red lining? WAY to 'seasonal' for me, guys.

R

Red Beard

Akubra has 23 colors to choose from and pretty much any variation on any color, according to the Everything Australian color chart.

I'd prefer something just a little unique, not the standard Brown, Grey, Black. A unique variation of them would be fine, like Silverbelly, Quartz, Kaki, ect...but I'm pulling for a Blue or Green, myself. Not a Tyrolean Green, but I do like their Bluegrass Green or the Fern Green they offer the CEO in.

Shouldn't the color be the secondary concern, though?

What about the dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe