Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50 Unexplainable Photos

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
What's so creepy about two little kids on a mini couch???? It's creepy that you think it's creepy.

Linc, this is a postmortem photo. The child on the sofa is dead.

Back then, it was not uncommon for grieving survivors to have pictures taken of their recently-deceased loved ones, especially if no other images existed. It helped people to not forget the faces of their dead.

See here: http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...36l0l7158l22l20l0l0l0l0l371l3366l5.5.5.3l18l0

Marc Chevalier said:

Back then, it was not uncommon for grieving survivors to have pictures taken of their recently-deceased loved ones, especially if no other images existed. It helped people to not forget the faces of their dead.

In fact there were even photographers who specialized in postmortem photography!

Even creepier is sometimes they would have the dearly departed propped up in a sitting or even standing position to appear lifelike. One picture I saw looked, at first glance, like a typical family portrait of the era then I realized the little girl in the picture was dead because on careful examination part of the stand propping up the corpse was visible.

Last edited:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up

See here: http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...36l0l7158l22l20l0l0l0l0l371l3366l5.5.5.3l18l0

She's dead???? Whoa!

Well, no different than some people in the present tattooing dead relatives names on their arms, necks, chests etc. or driving around with stickers of dead people's birth and death dates plastered on the backlite of their car. Or my personal creepiest; having a "birthday" party for a dead person. I know of a woman whom she and her husband slept in separate rooms for 25 years, yet on St. Valentine's Day she'd put a balloon on the guy's grave that read; "World's Greatest Lover".

Last edited:

Story

I'll Lock Up
I'll just leave this here.

hU7wq.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
She's dead???? Whoa!

Well, no different than some people in the present tattooing dead relatives names on their arms, necks, chests etc. or driving around with stickers of dead people's birth and death dates plastered on the backlite of their car. Or my personal creepiest; having a "birthday" party for a dead person. I know of a woman whom she and her husband slept in separate rooms for 25 years, yet on St. Valentine's Day she'd put a balloon on the guy's grave that read; "World's Greatest Lover".

I'm sorry, but a photo of a dead person, no, make that a photo of an actual person that is dead in the photo, is in a whole different league.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I have a small collection of post-mortem photos of children and I've come to see them not as something creepy or bizarre, but rather as poignant and touching. At the time when post-mortem photos were popular, photography was still a relatively new thing and having a likeness of a loved one was pretty amazing and not all that common. If a loved one died, particularly a child, and no photographs had ever been taken, a photographer would often have been quickly called in to take a final photograph as a remembrance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe