Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Erik

One of the Regulars
I recently received a pair of brown Corcoran Jump Boots which in wearing around town today elicited a positive remark followed up with a question as to where I bought "the classic work boots." From an older fellow. That's good enough for me to include them here.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
alleboots.jpg

Here's mine: L to R, Front to back.

Trickers Stow, Bone Dry lace-to-toe, Dutch engineer boots, sheepskin lining.

Stacy Adams Madison, White's Semi-dress, Dutch captoe, triple-soled

Star Brand, Rheinberger, R.M. Williams

Hungarian boots, Trickers Bourton (can't wear boots with plusfours), Georgia packers

PoohBang

Suspended
Mysterious Mose said:
alleboots.jpg

Here's mine: L to R, Front to back.

Trickers Stow, Bone Dry lace-to-toe, Dutch engineer boots, sheepskin lining.

Stacy Adams Madison, White's Semi-dress, Dutch captoe, triple-soled

Star Brand, Rheinberger, R.M. Williams

Hungarian boots, Trickers Bourton (can't wear boots with plusfours), Georgia packers

and I thought I had a problem with all the boots/shoes I own...

Nice collection!

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
The Hungarian boot has a built-in lace. It's attached at the tongue inset and after a few wraps around the ankle buckles on the side.
bootlace.jpg

hungarylacebuckle.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Nice bunch!

How do YOU rate the SA/Maddisons, Mose.
I have listened to others, who said they're a bit light duty.
I only want them for what I guess they're designed for-
street/dress wear.

Those Hungarian boots are pretty cool.
I've had a couple of pairs of those cap-toe Dutch army boots, thought they were pretty comfortable and useful- not too hard on the feet at all.

I remember, back in the dark days of WW2 reenacting, folks thought they were a "good" substitute for airborne boots... never thought so, myself.

I have a few nice pairs of Swedish army boots at present.
Have to put some pics up, I guess.

Your Saturday night seems about as exciting as mine-

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
bootsmid.jpg

You reckon they're army boots? They very well could be, I don't know much about military wear.

The Stacy Adams are fine, but they're not very solid, the leather has a bit of a cardboard feel to it. Heavy layer of paint. Tongue doesn't wanna stay in it's place. They could do with an extra sole. But they look really great ! I have a similar looking vintage pair, in black, that doesn't look half as good as the Stacy's. One of mine now has a dent in the toecap, looks a bit dodgy, slapstick movie style. I read somewhere that their quality's gone the Borsalino way. I've had mine for eight years or so, don't wear them much.

I like my Saturday nights a little uneventful. Saw some excellent vintage motorbicycles at an Oldtimer rally this afternoon. Had my fun.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yep, they're army- pebble textured brown leather- rubber sole and heel(?).

Cardboardy- aha- exactly the word I was avoiding in my question.
I've seen some nice "fashion" interpretaions of that style of '20s dress boot
in the last couple of years but rubber sole, didn't buy.

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Nix pebbley, pretty smooth, nothing like the Swedish Army boots. Sole and heel rubber.

Stacy Adams are as cardboard as the box they came in. Still, nice boots.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Hello Flat-top I,

Nice boots, I like the shape of the toebox, and the old-timey contour of the heel
(non-gunboat), I dont really like the look of the leather on the shaft, looks a bit overstressed, and the pulling thing stitched to the outside. Does that make sense? i'm getting tired and my English is getting worse.

Erik

One of the Regulars
Those Whites, as with most of their line, scream classic work boots to me. But mileage obviously varies with that opinion.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Yes, you American fellows need to know that on this side of the herring pond, White's semi-dress and packers have a kind of fetish look or feminine quality to them. Not that that's my cup of tea. But they're grand looking boots. I'd wear them.

Thanks, Mose. Great to see such a varied collection.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
You wouldn't believe the places you'll end up on the WWW looking for vintage clothes. I've seen tweed, corduroy, denim and boot fetishism.:eek: And there was nothing feminine about it, either!:eek: Some of them have excellent collections, though. Whatever floats their boat.

I'm glad to hear B.T.'s points of view. I'm glad we disagree. Like him, I gather up all kinds of stuff I like and try to create a mythological, idiosyncratic past.
I'm not a reenactor or a historian. I like heydays, golden eras, the good old days. As for mileage, I've been into vintage styles since I was 13, now at 39 I know what's available and I'm at the point of making it work for me, trying hard to look smart and authentic.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Listen... it's just the heel shape- more of a dress style, I think,
although I can plainly see it on some styles of work boots and Western work boots. Something looking like a cuban heel does not equate with work boots,
in my footwear logic.

I think that when CP uses the term, "feminine", maybe he just means
"less masculine" than we would have thought, finer, more delicate(?).
But there is a certain fetish to cuban heels and cowboy boots, I suppose.

That is all.

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I gather up all kinds of stuff I like and try to create a mythological, idiosyncratic past.

That's the way to go: idiosyncratically authentic.

After a couple of decades at least of dressing in generally unsuitable hand-me-downs, secondhand finds and High Street cheapies, I've only recently in the past few years revisited my childhood enjoyment of colour and form in clothing. I'm enjoying gathering together outfits and individual items based on no accepted clothing rulebook. The only thing I tend to stick to is that the garments must be comfortable and usable for the season/weather.

I think that when CP uses the term, "feminine", maybe he just means
"less masculine" than we would have thought, finer, more delicate(?).
But there is a certain fetish to cuban heels and cowboy boots, I suppose.

As I see it, there's a sense in which the fetishized button boots of the Victorian lady are mirrored in the delicate masculine of the semi-dress boot. But, yes, the US workwear tradition is aware of the possibilities of fine detail and style in utility.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
;)
Creeping Past said:
As I see it, there's a sense in which the fetishized button boots of the Victorian lady are mirrored in the delicate masculine of the semi-dress boot. But, yes, the US workwear tradition is aware of the possibilities of fine detail and style in utility.

I think you successfully helped me with my opinion-;)

Moreso in the Western boots and some of those "Packers" styles-
the higher, lace-up Western boots with quite an arch and tall, "shaped" heel.
Those boots mirror the Victorian Ladies boots-
Forget about the Linesman boots though- they are all Fetish.

But where there's fetish, there's definite style- like it or not.

Regarding clothing/shoes for action and the outdoors, complete
with function and form...
Some time, or other- hopefully not too late in life, people will come to realise,
that you need to spend the money to get precisely what you desire(if you're sensible and have aesthetic needs that is).There are cheap look-alikes and cheap do-alikes but the good stuff, that looks AND does, comes at a price- but times are good for the pickings nowadays, niche markets are addressed and reached directly- but niche products, of quality cost.

Less-than-70-bucks is not an option.

B
T

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe