Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
ATF Roughouts.

Roughouts compared to GT's

roughout01.jpg

roughout02.jpg

roughout03.jpg

roughout04.jpg

Cheers,
Dave

celtic

A-List Customer
got these for $120+ at 6pm.com

1396-529364-d.jpg

nope, they'e not an accurate repro, and they aren't really workboots (they're "casual") but they shore is purdy.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
These are 'combat' boots but boots nonetheless (combat is horrid work).

Rare British-made russet boots with hobnails and heel irons made even more rare by the addition of cuffs to convert them to M43 specifications. The addition of cuffs to pre-existing boots was very common in Italy during the war. These were worn by an officer.
rareDB3small.jpg

rareDBsmall.jpg

This is a pair of true M43 boots (roughout, no toe cap, etc.) These were worn by the same guy who owned the British boots above. Photo shows a shoe before and after cleaning. Nasty mold.
M43ssmaller.jpg

Last but not least, these are French boots from the late 1950s that mimic the M43 combat boots.
Frenchiessmaller.jpg

I cut the cuffs off just above the 7th eyelet to use with leggings for reenacting:
roughoutsandleggings-3.jpg

Though, I usually just wear them with jeans. They are tough boots and I highly recommend them to anyone who is looking for a vintage style work boot. They are still relatively cheap and easy to find and exceedingly tough, but they take a while to break in.

Cheers!

Doug C

Practically Family
Does anyone know if the lug soles on boots can be changed out for a flat (non-lug) sole, perferrably a leather one but even a rubber one (like some of the old military dress shoes, etc., neoprene..) ? I love the look of these Red Wing boots that JCrew is offering BUT I can't stand a modern lug sole. These have the right profile that's hard to find.

BTW, they are described as having a goodyear welt if that would make any difference with the re-soleing thing.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/MensBrowse/Men_Shop_By_Category/shoes/boots/PRDOVR~88346/88346.jsp

Doug C

Creeping Past

One Too Many
You should be able to get a sole replaced easily.

You could have a double leather sole for sturdiness plus a thinner rubber sole on top of that for durability: depending on the rubber, that combination can last me for months of heavy, everyday wear. Or just leather, if you're fine with regular and expensive resoling.

In the UK, where I live, that replacement job would cost about half as much again as those Red Wings. Hope it's cheaper where you are.

Doug C

Practically Family
creeping past, thank for the comments and info.

JM Stovall wrote:
It'll probably cost around $60. For that total price why not buy Aldens?

Ah, but I already have a pair of Alden 405s, and to tell you the truth I love to look at them, I think they are awesome until I get them on..then I don't care for the look too much. The main problem I have with them is that they are so flat and lack a raised toe box. I've tried bending them at the toe to give 'em some shape but it never stays. Which is exactly what I do like about the Red Wings, the chunky curving toe box, just wish they had a leather sole. You can get them BTW on ebay for alot cheaper too.

ps- you can see what I'm talking about with the boots that flat-top just posted, the toe has some upward character to those also.

Doug C

ukali1066

Practically Family
I've just bought these new on ebay, all leather including the soles... I'll enjoy polishing them to a high shine and wearing them in when they arrive, should last for years I hope.

473d_1.jpg

celtic

A-List Customer
Those are exactly what I have been looking for here in the states. (although I think I'd go with the commando sole this time of year)

I have found a couple pairs but they're quite expensive here.

I have no idea why the brogue shoes are(were) so popular here but the high-tops are hard to find...

ukali1066

Practically Family
Yeah Celtic...I'll have to risk my neck on icy paths ;) But there's something classy about an all leather boot in my opinion.

Dr. Marten does a nice brown ankle boot if you fancy a chunkier commando sole.

Here's the sellers link if you're interested, I'm sure they'd ship to the U.S. if you asked.

LACE-UP DERBY/DEALER BOOTS.THESE BOOTS HAVE GENUINE BROWN/TAN SUPPLE LEATHER UPPERS.THE BOOTS ARE FULLY LEATHER LINED.THEY HAVE GOODYEAR WELTED AND STITCHED LEATHER DURABLE SOLES. A REAL NICE WELL MADE PAIR OF CLASSIC BOOTS.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=350110632456&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=022

celtic

A-List Customer
holy MOLY that's a good price.

I wish you didn't show me that!

I just sent an email.

If that seller had those shoes here in the states, I'd own one of each color..oh yes I would...:eusa_doh: (i'm sure IF they agree to ship, it won't be cheap)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm with you, Celtic. Those are exactly the type of boots I've been looking for. Unfortunately, all I'm finding are $500+ boots in that style. I'm really considering picking up a pair of these. Please post whether the seller is willing to ship to the US, and what he charges for it.

ukali1066

Practically Family
Hahaha glad to lighten your wallet mate...

If they don't ship to you, you could get them to send them to me and I could just charge you the exact shipping fee and send them on, I know a lot of dealers charge incredible fees for overseas shipping, when it's actually quite reasonable, I've done this for a few of my American friends for various items.

I know this is a massive leap of trust but the offer stands, PM me if you want.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
First, I'd love to hear a review from you in a couple of weeks. They look nice enough, but such a great price also makes me wonder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe