Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco7_r1_1280.jpg

There is not vent which i thought was slightly odd, i thought vents were common on jackets up until the 30s, what do you guys think?

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Great suit, Speakeasy. LOVE the slubby fabric - has an endearing homespun quality to it. Are silks like this...well, silky to the touch, like linings and backings and ties? Or do they have a different feel?

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
It does doesn't it? And to the touch the fabric is incredibly soft and silky, i can imagine it would literally be the coolest thing to wear in the summer, since i never have, nor ever will wear this suit (though it fits perfectly).

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
i'm afraid to put any damage on this suit since it is near mint condition, and since the trousers are so narrow im scared the silk might rip if i bend my knee too far. If this suit wasn't in such good condition i would be strutting these threads up and down the thoroughfare.

DamianM

Vendor
I think my wording just got muddled up, i was saying your ad dated 1920 looked the same as my suit, I wish it was dated. Speaking of which I dug through my collection and found a suit I have had for a while that I was hoping you gents might help me date. I was figuring it was from around world war one if not the early 20s. It was sold to me as being from the 1890s but I know right away that isn't true. It is made of what I think is raw silk, i was told probably japanese silk by a friend.

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5krschdPz1qhhvpco6_1280.jpg

Wow. these spongy raw silk suits are rare!
I have a friend with a beltback from the mid 30s just with this fabric.
The ultimate warm weather fabric.

And you may be right. If it feels delicate, on fold and rip it goes.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I went to the opening of a clothing exhibition of womens clothing from the 1920s and 30s and decided it was a good excuse to wear my early 20s 3-piece suit by Hart Shaffner Marx. I see that herringbonekid posted the ad for the same suit i have dated 1920. I have to lose a few more pounds to have it fit perfectly but i did my best.

tumblr_n5fc4wRjgK1qhhvpco1_500.jpg

tumblr_n5fc4wRjgK1qhhvpco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5fc4wRjgK1qhhvpco3_400.jpg

I found this suit at the bottom of a basket of clothing at a flea market, it was in very rough shape (still is) but i managed to restore it to wearable condition.

You look like Arnold Rothstein off Boardwalk Empire. Fab suit.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Paul_spechtband1923_zps936d9309.jpg

Backwards bill... I assume this was done in a joking manner or he just got off his motorcycle.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I think so as well. The only practical reason could be if he rode a motorcycle (as some period photos suggest). But his clothes dont quite suggest that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe