Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920's Dress Hats

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Didn't want to clog up another thread with discussions about whether some of these fuzzy '20s hats are fedoras, Homburgs, or a transition, and I think there are enough examples of these hats on the lounge now to warrant their own thread.

Here is my most recent one, in three different bashes - a pre-1934, probably 1920's, Sarnoff-Irving velour finish. I'll take some better pics during the day:

SarnoffFedMeMed.jpg

Sarnoffx2med.jpg

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
unfamiliar

i am not very familiar at all with these velour hats of the 20s etc.

how common was this style?

can someone elaborate or provide a good reference?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This one doesn't have the transitional homburg/fedora curl with the super-wide overwelt like the others, but still displays the 1920s long nap finish, and typical interior markings.

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
cybergentleman said:
i am not very familiar at all with these velour hats of the 20s etc.

how common was this style?

can someone elaborate or provide a good reference?

Here is a good pictorial of what's going on with these hats, from Marc - the one I posted above gave a very similar result when the brim was snapped:

Marc Chevalier said:

Confusion solved. This ...

DSC01876.jpg

... is this:

MarcChevaliersVintageHats027.jpg

...and an explanation from Robert that puts things in historical context:

rlk said:
I think they are kind of their own category. Its a soft hat with an almost derby-like flanging(sometimes), more casual than the Homburg but generally shorter more curled brim than what is later associated with the Fedora. The center crease seems to be almost universal as well as the overwelt rather than binding. It appears to us now as a crossover(brings to mind cars regrettably) but I don't really think it was. More of a holdover from earlier hats, not stiff like Derbies or formal like Top Hats or even Homburgs nor wide brimmed for the Outdoorsman. The youthful Casual urban hat. I think the more specific and rigid more-formal style "Homburg" we think of today developed from this as well as the generally wider ,flatter brim versatile "Fedora". A common ancestor living alongside its descendants, then dying off during the depression.
The Stetsonian and Open Roads are more split personality hats that have fairly wide brims that can be worn either way(usually with associated crease also different). I'm not sure the term "Fedora" was so common or used over as wide a style range as modern American usage. At any rate, the terms are not exactly scientific. Just call it "Harry".

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Soft Hats.

To add a little....The best term for these hats would probably be casual "soft hats" rather than dress hats. Not a laborers hat or a formal hat,a Top Hat would be a dress hat. The "Homburg style"(as in Edward and Bad Homburg fame) would be a term given in some places to one with a more notably curled brim and center-creased slightly tapered crown. The term "Fedora" might encompass all of the various styles of such hats including the Homburg for some.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
George Arliss in his gray velour dress Stetson

There is a picture of Arliss in the Stetson book where he appears to be about the same age, and possibly wearing the hat shown below, dated 1925.

441px-George_Arliss_01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld