Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Disturbing Realizations

Speaking of cars and drivers ...

In my early driving years I shared the roads with a fair percentage of drivers whose own motoring experience pre-dated the Interstates and other limited-access highways.

I recall some old-timers never quite getting the hang of entering and exiting such highways. They'd get to the bottom of on-ramps and come to a complete stop, craning their necks as they looked for an opening. And, once they had through one miracle or another managed to get on the highway proper, they'd slow to 30 mph or so as they made their way to the exit.

Those dear old folks have since gone the way of all things. But their spirits live on in those who insist on poking along in the left lanes while moving at speeds well below the limit.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

In my early driving years I shared the roads with a fair percentage of drivers whose own motoring experience pre-dated the Interstates and other limited-access highways.

I recall some old-timers never quite getting the hang of entering and exiting such highways. They'd get to the bottom of on-ramps and come to a complete stop, craning their necks as they looked for an opening. And, once they had through one miracle or another managed to get on the highway proper, they'd slow to 30 mph or so as they made their way to the exit.

Those dear old folks have since gone the way of all things. But their spirits live on in those who insist on poking along in the left lanes while moving at speeds well below the limit.
Those were the same gentlemen that had there left turn signal on since 1954!

Today, it's "slow-movement-lifestyle"!! :D

I will be going 32, next time. In just eight years, I will be a "FORTY+"! o_Oo_Oo_O

Just a little joke to myself (the age is correct)! :D

Last edited:
I've read on more than one occasion that athletes (not all sports) peak at 29 and, while I'm not a pro-athlete, that is about when I'd say I started to notice some aging stuff happening. And once it starts, it just keeps going.

That said, it is a bit of an arms race in that you can combat it with better diet, workouts, stretching (has helped me a real lot), rest, etc. Until my early thirties, I worked and played hard and, while I didn't abuse my body, I didn't take care of it the way I do now. Since my early thirties, I've been more thoughtful - and have learned a lot about what works, in general, and what works specifically for me.

I definitely have more aches and pains and some (relatively) unfun health issues now that I'm 52, but I also feel pretty good on a lot of days because of my workout, stretching, improved diet, etc.

So my unsolicited advice is to do what you can - educate yourself - as you can make a difference, but also accept that you will age and feel it. But as many have said, it beats the alternative.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For me it was 53, and it was a herniated disk.

I actually had this happen to me when I was eight years old. Laid me up for the whole summer and nobody could figure out what had happened because eight year olds just don't have sciatica. It took about four months to heal, and I didn't have any more trouble with it until I was 42, and threw it out again moving film cans in the projection booth. It got so bad that time I had to walk with a cane, and couldn't sit down -- which made the train trip I took from Haverhill to Boston one afternoon a really excruciating experience. To say nothing of the 160 mile drive home.

For me it was 53, and it was a herniated disk.
Yep, that's how mine started. Surgery in October of 2004 to repair my herniated L5-S1 disk was deemed a "success" because they were able to repair the defect, but a year later I started feeling pain again which was eventually diagnosed as Post Laminectomy Syndrome (chronic pain after surgery to repair a herniated disk). During subsequent treatments I was also diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis (narrowing of the bone channels occupied by the nerves), Lumbar Spondylosis (a catch-all phrase that essentially means the spine is deteriorating), and Degenerative Disk Disease. Having done some amateur research into each of these terms, I'm convinced they're the medical equivalent of "ten pounds of manure in a five pound bag" that doctors can blather on about in front of their patients instead of having to tell them that medical science still doesn't have enough understanding of nerves and the human nervous system to cure whatever is ailing them. Indeed, after a little more than 10 years of enduring some rather unpleasant treatments, the only change in my condition is that the average pain level has s-l-o-w-l-y increased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun