Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Hat Addiction...and your spouse

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
Same here Irfan...she said I must have way too much time on my hands to sit in front of the computer after work and chat with people who wear hats...but then she'll go to a scrapbooking store for hours on end. Go figure...

Yeah ... if it's shoes, apparently it's different. At the level of theory, she gets the similarity, but she still thinks hats are dumb. Oh, she liked the semi-colada montecristi that I got from PB, for some reason. And I saw her thinking about the whole thing when we went out in a little boat in the tropical sun with no cover a few weeks ago ....

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
While I have a hat fund my wife still doesn't like it. Thou I just love her buying from JC Penny and Dress Barn.:D
There is a disconect in how wife's view husband's spending any money on anything. Oh and I can not wait on the curio cabinet for her angel collection to arrive.:)

davidraphael

Practically Family
I only have a handful of hats but I've been told to 'give it a rest'. My wife says I spend money on hats but don't actually have any clothes to wear them with!

job

One Too Many
My wife has no problem with me getting hats. It's that I dress better for a nice hat. She says I look like I'm going to church. I tell her that I'm wearing Columbia sports wear pants with a button up shirt but she says that no one could tell and that I'm dressing too OLD. I am 13 years older than my wife which doesn't help.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Well, I don't buy a lot of hats, in fact, I don't have very many at all. I have a few I like and I wear them every day (usually one a day).

I just got a new hat that I was actually feeling guilty about spending the money on even though I got a good deal. My wife is the one who talked me into getting it. She knows I don't spend a lot of money, I really wanted it, and it was a good deal.

I think it's be cool if someone had a wife that was into hats as much as he was, and her name was Robin, because (you do know where this is going, right?), you could say, 'Robin, to the hat cave!':eusa_doh:

Marshall

One of the Regulars
It's easy for me, being as I'm single right now. Though my family will occasionally give me a hard time about my hats, though fortunately it's shifted from the "are you crazy!" phase to the mildly amused "another one huh?" phase.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Since I've started to actively collect hats, I give my wife much less grief about her purchases of shoes and purses. She hasn't realized the relationship yet, but she will. Once that happens, I'll be able to continue my collecting without a problem.

BR

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Here are a few of my hats. The racks shown are no longer available. I ordered them
from Target online over a year ago and now can't find them anywhere. I also use those
hooks that stick to your wall and can be removed.

Like mentioned above, I don't give my wife much trouble now when she makes a purchase.
She is not near as understanding about my hats as I'd like her to be. I guess the Harley, cigar
humidor and now the Hat Collection is just a little taxing on her! LOL

2011-10-13_10-04-57_491.jpg

EggHead

Practically Family
My wife is pretty good about my hats, as I often say, well that telescope that I got was more expensive than all of my hats! But just last night, as I was steaming/cleaning a couple of new vintage hats, my wife said "Why do you need hats in the same color?" - I reassured her that these are the last two that I am getting.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
JT's display is really nice!

With my size 8 head, finding hats to fit me is a slow, gradual process. But, I'm up to four fur felts, one straw, and a beat-up canvas fedora. My wife has already asked me if this is going to be my "next big collection."

I already have two dozen low brass instruments (trombone, baritone, euphonium, tuba), about 100 juvenile series books (a la Hardy Boys) that feature aviation, several working antique telephones, and several antique phonographs and 78s.

I just remind her of all the murder mystery books she's collected over the years. :D

HatsEnough

Banned
Damn. I have two hats, one antique stretcher, and one leather hat trunk on the way this coming week.

I better keep an eye on the mails before the wife does.

Dan'l

Practically Family
I only have a handful of hats but I've been told to 'give it a rest'. My wife says I spend money on hats but don't actually have any clothes to wear them with!

That sounds like an invitation to start buying some clothes to go with those hats. ;)

My wife is starting to question how many vintage ties, hats, and shoes I need. The answer is always the same, "I need more."

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
And anyone with fewer hats is a rank amateur!
;)

Where do I sign up for the Rank Amateur Club? I don't generally join any association that will have me. But I may have to make an exception in this instance.

If the Rank Amateur Club sounds a little too loosey goosey, we could call ourselves the Greater Association of Rank Amateurs. That sounds much more dignified.

mattface

Practically Family
My sweety loves me in hats, and she has a collection of vintage hats herself. She's noticed that since I started getting vintage fedoras I've started dressing better, and she likes that too. The other day I bought her a grey Whippet off the bay that looks an awful lot like my own favorite hat, so soon we'll have matching fedoras.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe