Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This return to work malarkey has left me little time to do much else. I have decided therefore, that I am too young to be old!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I am too young to be old!
Ha, if only! Yesterday I went upstairs to get something or other, got partway up, stood there trying to remember, then my wife asked if I was going up or coming down. "Don't remember," I told her, and I didn't. Still can't remember what it was I wanted.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You know you are getting old when:
Memory was something you lost with age
An application was for employment
A program was a TV show
A cursor used profanity
A keyboard was a piano
A web was a spider's home
A virus was the flu
A CD was a bank account
A hard drive was a long trip on the road
A mouse pad was where a mouse lived
And if you had a 3-inch floppy . . . it was probably, brewers droop.

When grumpiness sets in and you let things that are not your concern irritate you. I'm only 48 but have just screeched the tires and backed up a bit. I'll be spending the NEXT 40 years getting younger and enjoying life as opposed to my last years with a brick up my azz.:)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you are getting old if you can identify these items.

1z6gz85.jpg

And you’ve been around if you remember when
blue jeans had rivets on the back-pockets.
119qntz.png

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
When you finally have to admit, you can no longer ride a motorcycle with clipon handlebars, for much more then a few miles! :(

When you finally have to admit, you can no longer ride a motorcycle with clipon handlebars, for much more then a few miles! :(

Low bars (let alone clipons) are reasonably comfortable only when traveling at speed. The wind kinda holds you up and takes the strain of your back, as I'm sure you know.

And you had to sit in a bath tub with them on because they were not pre-shrunk. You bought over-size and the only way to a perfect fit was to have indelible blue stained legs for months on end.

I don't recall wearing them wet (although "real" huaraches demanded to be broken in on the wearer's feet, but first soaked in water, although some swore by used crankcase oil), but those 501s of my early years were unwearable unless washed and dried first. I recall the discharge water from the washer being bright blue.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I don't recall wearing them wet (although "real" huaraches demanded to be broken in on the wearer's feet, but first soaked in water, although some swore by used crankcase oil), but those 501s of my early years were unwearable unless washed and dried first. I recall the discharge water from the washer being bright blue.

It was a ritual to “baptize” the shrink-to-fit levis by going to the Gulf coast and
jumping in the salty waters.
Going fishing all day & sleeping in them at the beach.

Last edited:
I used to just wash 'em four or five times before I wore them, and it worked out okay. These days I buy the pre-washed, pre-faded 501s. They seem to wear out sooner than they used to, but they're far more comfortable out of the gate so I've accepted that trade-off.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Low bars (let alone clipons) are reasonably comfortable only when traveling at speed. The wind kinda holds you up and takes the strain of your back, as I'm sure you know.
Actually, it's not my back, it is nice on the back, far better then the sit up and beg riding position. It's my hands when I am going slow, or in the mountains. Also, there is a muscle in the back of my upper arm, that must only be used when I am using the throttle. Excruciating after and hour!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Getting old for me is not keeping up with technology for the sake of it. And not even trying to explain it. You want my business? Fine, take a cheque?
Only one Utility company has refused me, they are now an ex-supplier. All I do is plead ignorant and I get what I want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82