Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
This reminds me of an old joke about a middle-aged couple waiting at home for news of their daughter's and son-in-law's newest addition to the family. I've forgotten how the joke goes, but the punchline was the husband answering the phone to hear the long-distance operator ask, "Will you accept a collect call from Mr. Hadthebabyitsaboy?"

I remember doing that bit with the long-distance calls, but have never heard of that
joke . That brought a chuckle...Thanks !

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This reminds me of an old joke about a middle-aged couple waiting at home for news of their daughter's and son-in-law's newest addition to the family. I've forgotten how the joke goes, but the punchline was the husband answering the phone to hear the long-distance operator ask, "Will you accept a collect call from Mr. Hadthebabyitsaboy?"

[video=youtube;9JxhTnWrKYs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JxhTnWrKYs[/video]

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
bikespokes_zps168cc0e3.jpg

How many grew up powered by this ?

I'll call with this...

zjtdfd.jpg

and I raise you with this...

290pzpk.png

...and it didn't eat carrots to make it work !:rolleyes:

by the bye...how was the golf the other day ?

Honus Wagner?! :faint:

I had a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. My sons use it now. :p Surprisingly accurate.

I raise you:

The game was good but it took five hours because the threesome in front of us was SLOW---and there were 5 of us! lol lol

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
:D
Honus Wagner?! :faint:

I had a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. My sons use it now. :p Surprisingly accurate.

I raise you:

The game was good but it took five hours because the threesome in front of us was SLOW---and there were 5 of us! lol lol

DAISY ?

Well let me see...I have the following by my desk in case I spot bandits on the horizon.
*1934 Buck Jones Special w/wood stock & compass.
*1940s Red Ryder, carbine action, 200 range model
*Sears 1894 Lever action air rifle with brass receiver
*and the BB gun that Ralphie wanted but in actuality never existed but
due to popular demand Daisy made a few. (not as good quality as the originals)

and I was lucky...I never shot my eye out or used them to kill birds.

Golf !

You need to be a General in the military...:D

While in Guam, during my R&R from combat duty...a buddy was showing me the game of golf.
In the middle of the game, we had to step aside while his royal highness proceeded to play on
at his commanding cigar-stomping pace.
I later wound up beating my pal. true story !

In the photo...I was making reference to the "rabbit-ear" antenna.
I remember my dear grandma having a plastic clear color sheet in front of the black & white
Dumont to give it the appearance of color television viewing. But somehow I preferred Gene
& Roy in glorious western black & white. I miss the sound of the horses galloping into the sunset.
As you know, Gene & Roy never ran out of bullets. And my first taste of classical music was when
the Lone Ranger went." Hi-oh-Silver"
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:

[video=youtube;QCO6smQrjJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCO6smQrjJ8[/video]

Last edited:
:D

DAISY ?

Well let me see...I have the following by my desk in case I spot bandits on the horizon.
*1934 Buck Jones Special w/wood stock & compass.
*1940s Red Ryder, carbine action, 200 range model
*Sears 1894 Lever action air rifle with brass receiver
*and the BB gun that Ralphie wanted but in actuality never existed but
due to popular demand Daisy made a few. (not as good quality as the originals)

and I was lucky...I never shot my eye out or used them to kill birds.

Golf !

You need to be a General in the military...:D

While in Guam, during my R&R from combat duty...a buddy was showing me the game of golf.
In the middle of the game, we had to step aside while his royal highness proceeded to play on
at his commanding cigar-stomping pace.
I later wound up beating my pal. true story !

In the photo...I was making reference to the "rabbit-ear" antenna.
I remember my dear grandma having a plastic clear color sheet in front of the black & white
Dumont to give it the appearance of color television viewing. But somehow I preferred Gene
& Roy in glorious western black & white. I missed the sound of the horses galloping .
As you know, Gene & Roy never ran out of bullets. :eusa_clap

None of the cowboys ever ran out of bullets. :p

You beat him and don't pay anymore?! I would keep beating him. :p

I downed plenty of birds out of the Cherry Tree.

Oh and I see my picture didn't show up? Remember these cakes:

kidwithcircuscake.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
None of the cowboys ever ran out of bullets. :p

You beat him and don't pay anymore?! I would keep beating him. :p

I downed plenty of birds out of the Cherry Tree.

Oh and I see my picture didn't show up? Remember these cakes:

kidwithcircuscake.jpg

I remember...
also I remember I did shoot one bird & I cried... I never killed a bird or anything after that. But hey...that's the
way I saw things...Not passing judgement or anything.

And I never ran out of bullets..:D

2jfn60k.jpg

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It was the birds or the cherries. I know what I chose. :p

My daddy gave me this, it was about $5 which was a lot of money.
I loved the smell of the cap powder. Nowadays these go for $$$$$

357mt0z.png

But I got the most joy making slingshots out of tree branches &
discarded tire tubes.

You know you are getting old when you made your own toys...

Btw:
I enjoy the game of tennis for the fast pace & the shot making
I can produce.

When I played competitive tournaments & did very well, I learned early on to
never go on the court wanting to beat my opponent. I never thought of what he
would do before or after the shot.
I would focus only on the ball as it came to me & made it a point to get it back.
I enjoy the selection of the shot I would make with my racket & the sound of the ball
as it hit the strings. I looked forward for the ball to come back & in a way was disappointed
when the ball would either hit the net or go out. But winning the point made up for it.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You know you are getting old when: in the afternoon, you think of a great one to post here, and in the early evening you sit down at the computer and have completely forgotten what you were going to write!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The kids in my neighborhood didn't bother with cap guns. They sat in the street and banged the caps with a rock to make them pop. Sometimes they'd get really ambitious and find a cinder block somewhere, and drop it on a whole box of caps -- which usually made a vigorous noise.

My grandmother confiscated and smashed several B-B guns from neighborhood kids who she caught shooting at her bird feeders. She was not one to be trifled with.

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
Heh. I do remember unfurling a roll of caps on the concrete steps and popping them with my Dad's hammer. It was very satisfying. But I wasn't part of a gang. ;) I do love the smell of the caps' powder though. I actually have 3 different toys from the local toy store (yes, we have a dedicated toy store here) and take them out occasionally to fire them off and breath deep. Like the smell of Play-Do, it immediately takes me back to my 10 year old feisty self and that's just necessary sometimes.

As for being the age of your grandmother when born, well, that's a sobering thought. I'm sure I've actually surpassed that. But we birthed babies young in our tribe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82