Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
For my generation "Miss Ellie" was Ellie May Clampett:

77mhT6Q.jpg

:cool:

Ya, no doubt boutit, but...if you knew the luscious Ellie Mae, prolly also knew the Miss as n Mrs Southfork of Dallas Malice.;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Dallas was another in a long line of nighttime soap operas; not my thing, so I've never watched even one episode. My wife watched Knots Landing, but even she didn't watch Dallas because it bored her.

I seldom watch television, past-present but caught a few snippets of Dallas-Dynasty-other shows from time-to-time.
Recall being at a girlfriend's once when a Hill Street Blues episode featured luscious Veronica Hamel taking a bath.;)

Isn't it curious, that I never saw any episode of "Magnum"? It was on german TV, of course, but I anyhow never payed attention to it.

Or is it banned today, by all the pussyfied people?? ;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Isn't it curious, that I never saw any episode of "Magnum"? It was on german TV, of course, but I anyhow never payed attention to it.

Talk about knowing my age...last nite after a rain drenched soggy bus, subway, and train, and another bus
ride commute home, I stepped off the Chicago Transit Authority bus and remembered that I was out of
coffee, an absolute morning necessity. So I walk to my neighborhood CVS Pharmacy, grab a plastic jar
of Maxwell House and then grabbed some Oscar Meyer hotdogs and some buns. Get up to the cashier,
and recall that my neighborhood bank down the street, which is closed, has been taken over by another
bank, which issued a new debit card sitting in my UPS box in another part of town. My old debit card has
been withdrawn, rescinded, called out at the plate. So I cannot simply flash plastic. And the coffee is pure
Columbian roast; much more expensive although it was on sale.... By my lights, Maxwell House is cheap,
reliable caffeine in the morning but Mawell House is just Maxwell House. But this damn plastic jug is
seemingly priced like Columbian heroin. And trench coat, brief case, umbrella and me dripping puddles.
Feels like I am soaked to the bone. And Mawell House is priced like heroin. After a tough work week,
dripping wet, I really didn't need this and I didn't have a lot of lettuce in my wallet. Enough however to
cover the coffee. So I apologize to the kid cashier, and tell him to void the dogs, just the java please son.
Bought, bagged and tagged. The CVS register pumps out a yard of coupon receipts. As I reach for the
tape, the kid sees my team ring, which is similar to Magnum PI's team ring. The kid asks about it,
when was I in service? The Vietnam War son. When was that? A long time ago sir, wow!
Like I was in the Civil War or Revolution. Thanks son, have a good nite. This occasionally happens,
usually when I wear my A2 jacket. But it really hit home last evening. Gotta chuckle though. :)

Seems, that the older I get, the more I get heartburn from ketchup or other concentrated tomato stuff.

I thought about the reason and it must have been the ketchup, I have no other explanation.

Seems, that the older I get, the more I get heartburn from ketchup or other concentrated tomato stuff.

I thought about the reason and it must have been the ketchup, I have no other explanation.
Tomatoes are considered to be highly acidic (some varieties more so than others) and they will indeed induce heartburn. The best thing you can do is to simply not eat tomatoes or tomato products like ketchup, or perhaps try different brands and products to see if any of them don't induce heartburn. And, of course, there are over-the-counter and prescription heartburn medications that can help.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You can reduce the acidity of tomatoes by adding some baking soda after you cook them. You can also remove the seeds, reduce the time you cook tomatoes, or add them to a dish raw.

You can reduce the acidity of tomatoes by adding some baking soda after you cook them. You can also remove the seeds, reduce the time you cook tomatoes, or add them to a dish raw.
All of my wife's life she's had problems with foods that are highly acidic--tomatoes, pineapple, and so on. Whenever she eats them she ends up with a boil somewhere on her body. After we were married I started keeping track, and wondered why she could eat pasta sauces and ketchup, both of which are tomato based, without a problem. Then I noticed the boils would develop only when she ate these foods raw, and that led me to believe something about cooking them, probably the increased temperature, somehow managed to negate whatever was in them that caused her problem.

That being said, adding them to my wife's food raw doesn't work in her favor. :eek:

Edward

Bartender

My wife always adds a teaspoon of sugar when she's cooking something like a bolognese or a lasagna. Can't taste the sugar in the final dish, but apparently it counteracts the tomatoes' acidity very nicely.

My wife always adds a teaspoon of sugar when she's cooking something like a bolognese or a lasagna. Can't taste the sugar in the final dish, but apparently it counteracts the tomatoes' acidity very nicely.
One of my sisters-in-law swears by sugar in the sauce (whenever she makes pasta) to cut down on the acidity. I'm sure she's adding too much 'cause I can taste it, so for me all she's doing is ruining what might be good spaghetti sauce if there wasn't so much damned sugar in it.

Germany got one super classic dish, especially kids loved over many decades:
"Potato mash, fried liver and onions"

Kids have no problem with that, but the older I get, the less I can tolerate it. It's the liver or in the worst case the liver plus the onions! You get flatulence all day long and when the onions were the wrong, ouch!

balance the sugar with a little soy sauce. I'm sure that your sister in law won't mind, if you pull a bottle out of your pants pocket, and drizzle it on her pasta.
I do like soy sauce, but my concern there would be that I would then end up with overly sweet and overly salty pasta sauce. I haven't actually seen that sister-in-law for a few years now (long story), so I think I'm safe for the time being. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld