Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

You know you're getting old when you suddenly realize that there's an entire adult generation out there that has never heard of Zasu Pitts.

I'm waiting for the day the general talk is that the Millennials are "old news" and that "Generation Z" (if that's what they call it / will ultimately call it) is driving culture, work, politics, etc.

I will feel older - or maybe already be dead - but if I'm still alive, I will probably enjoy not having to hear "Millennial this and Millennial that" all the time.

Labels for "generations," and the entirely arbitrary taxonomy regarding such matters. are in some ways worse than meaningless.

The "baby boom" generation spanned the years 1945 (or is it '46?) through '65. Or so I've been told.

So does a person born in '65 have more shared experience with a person born in '45 than with a person born in '66?

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Labels for "generations," and the entirely arbitrary taxonomy regarding such matters. are in some ways worse than meaningless.

The "baby boom" generation spanned the years 1945 (or is it '46?) through '65. Or so I've been told.

So does a person born in '65 have more shared experience with a person born in '45 than with a person born in '66?

I've spent my whole life trying to avoid "baby boomer" culture, which is difficult when you're grafted onto the tail end of it like the rear segment of the Human Centipede. Ooowee.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
I remember how surprised I was to learn that Zasu Pitts had a nude scene in Von Stroheim's "Greed." At the time, I only knew her as a middle-aged lady in 50s comedies. She was a serious dramatic actress in the silents.

EngProf

Practically Family
I've spent my whole life trying to avoid "baby boomer" culture, which is difficult when you're grafted onto the tail end of it like the rear segment of the Human Centipede. Ooowee.

We have mentioned this before, but I still think it's some sort of typo by some government census-person who put people born as late as LizzieM into the "Baby-Boom".
As a real Baby-Boomer (1948 vintage), I can't imagine what I'd have in common in terms of "generations" with a person who was three years old in 1966, when I was going to the Senior Prom in my 1965 Chevy and worrying about being drafted into the Army.

EngProf

Practically Family
^^^^^^
Tuco was indeed a magician, in that scene he assembles an 1851 Navy Colt with an octagonal barrel, yet when he fires it & threatens the store owner, the gun has a round barrel. The barrel shape also interchanges throughtout the rest of the movie.It also reverts back to cap and ball in some scenes. 'Angel eyes' also had a magic pistol, his cap 'n' ball Remington must have fired cartridges since he had them on his gun belt. :rolleyes:

Tuco's gun shop conversion was preposterous, but to give credit where credit is due, both Colt and Remington cap-and-ball revolvers could be fitted with cartridge-conversion cylinders.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I remember how surprised I was to learn that Zasu Pitts had a nude scene in Von Stroheim's "Greed." At the time, I only knew her as a middle-aged lady in 50s comedies. She was a serious dramatic actress in the silents.

She was originally cast in "All Quiet On The Western Front" in 1930, but she'd already done enough comedies by then that preview audiences laughed when she appeared on screen. Out she came.

Her shorts with Thelma Todd at Roach in the early '30s were combed over carefully by the "I Love Lucy" writers twenty years later, the better to swipe their schtick.

EngProf

Practically Family
She was originally cast in "All Quiet On The Western Front" in 1930, but she'd already done enough comedies by then that preview audiences laughed when she appeared on screen. Out she came.

Her shorts with Thelma Todd at Roach in the early '30s were combed over carefully by the "I Love Lucy" writers twenty years later, the better to swipe their schtick.
Somewhat similar to Leslie Nielsen - I can't watch "Forbidden Planet" and hear him deliver dead-serious lines as the starship commander without it sounding like Lt. Frank Drebin from "Police Squad".

We have mentioned this before, but I still think it's some sort of typo by some government census-person who put people born as late as LizzieM into the "Baby-Boom".
As a real Baby-Boomer (1948 vintage), I can't imagine what I'd have in common in terms of "generations" with a person who was three years old in 1966, when I was going to the Senior Prom in my 1965 Chevy and worrying about being drafted into the Army.

Yup.

My grandfather attained that status at age 36, when my cousin Linda was born. He was all of 43 when I greeted the world. His experience and mine are hardly comparable, but the older I get the more I've become the person he was at the age I am now. He found most popular entertainments insufferably inane, for instance, as do I.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It's 8:07 pm. Got back from the dentist earlier @ 11:38am.
Happy pills knocked me out for
the better part of the day.
Eating soft yummy foods from
the side of the mouth right now.
I'm happy that I can now type
on my cell phone and the
werds are ok for the mist part.
But more important is reading
your comments.
thanks to all of you, my Fedora
family! lol!

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
As long as we have TCM ....&
others of the like....

We will always have
everyone from "Andy Devine
to Zazu Pitts .... even
"Susu's petals."

My body might still be somewhat
numbed after a visit to dentist...
So far not my memory.
Cheers! :)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You know you're getting old when you suddenly realize that there's an entire adult generation out there that has never heard of Zasu Pitts.
The key word is "Never"! I admit, I had to look her up. She is my favorite kind of actor, you don't recognize her name, but as soon as you see her face, especially her later comedy roles, you get a great big smile and a lot of good memories come flooding back!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
On the topic of the baby boom, this chart is rather interesting --

500px-US_Birth_Rates.svg.png

It's kind of hard to read, but the 1946-64 boom is in red. But note that even at its peak, the postwar boom was still far less than the overall birthrate of the decade just before WWI. Generational demographics are all relative.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I always thought it should have been from 1946-1955. Why, the draft, 1955 was the year that men would have to face the draft when they turned 18 in 1973! Technically 1975 was the last year, but mid 1973 was the year of the last lucky lottery winner!

EngProf

Practically Family
On the topic of the baby boom, this chart is rather interesting --

500px-US_Birth_Rates.svg.png

It's kind of hard to read, but the 1946-64 boom is in red. But note that even at its peak, the postwar boom was still far less than the overall birthrate of the decade just before WWI. Generational demographics are all relative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82