Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Where the Beatles excelled at songwriting was in writing songs that nearly everyone could sing. Sinatra and Dean Martin and Perry Como and everyone with a recording contract in those days all sang "Yesterday." You'd hear the Mantovani Strings version playing in every elevator in America. Most of the Stones songs had to be bawled out by iron-lunged rockers. I remember my mother being much taken by an instrumental version of "All My Loving" she heard over a PA system and I couldn't convince her it was a Beatles song. After all, they sang rock n' roll.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
People seem to forget, that between 1964 to 1967, the biggest reviles to the Beatles were The Dave Clark 5! They had 17 number ones,with 15 in a row, often knocking the Beatles from number one. Their biggest problem was, they liked to have fun, and never progressed from a Pop Band. On the other hand, The DC5 was the only top band to come out of the 60s rich! All thanks to Dave understanding of the entertainment industry.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I am aware and agree with your comments, but that's the problem, too, how do you sort it all out - protect the artist while not giving others a free ride.

And more nuance, some artists sell their works early one before they know if it will be a monster hit as they want or need the money now; whereas, some companies have a business model of buying a bunch of early works knowing that some will be worthless and others will be gold (but they don't know which at the time of purchase).

Hence, when something does hit it big, it looks like another case of "the artist getting screwed" as the company rakes in the big bucks and the artist gets nothing further, but in this case, as long as force or fraud wasn't used to take the copyright from the artist, I'd say the deal is fare. Also, if we don't allow a decent amount of time for those copyright to survive - even in the hands of corporations - that initial sale to a company that helped the artist won't happen (remember, many of those copyrights don't become lucrative and the artist makes out - they just don't make the news later on as human interest stories).

Also, if Disney invests time and energy in Mickey, which they do, and he's not a drug to cure heart disease or a new computer chip, why should that no longer be their property? I really ask that - as I don't know the answer, but I'm not sure a company should lose their biggest mascot when there is not particular compelling public need to have universal access to Mickey Mouse.

Well the whole idea of copyright was to encourage the production of original work by allowing the creator of that work a limited period of time during which he or she controlled said work. For the greater part of our history that term was 28 years, renewable for either an additional 14 or 28 years. that changed with the 1976 copyright act. The mouse was created under the 1909 act. Frankly the music art, literature, and moving pictures which were created under the terms of the old Act seem to me to be far, far superior to the pap which has century long copyright terms.

This is a true "you know you are getting old" moment for me as it happened this morning at the gym.

I was born in '64 and remember a mid-80s George Harrison "moment" when his "Cloud Nine" album came out and the video "I Got My Mind Set on You" was in heavy rotation on MTV.

Since we didn't live in a celebrity and video saturated age then, like now, until that album came out, most clips you saw of Harrison were from the '60s and, maybe, early '70s. When, in '87, a 23-year-old me saw 44-year-old Harrison in the video, I thought he looked kinda old and haggard. I remember that because I was a bit shocked as the Beatles were youth and '60s and psychedelic and fun - how could they get old.

This morning, on one of the 8 billion video screens in the gym that play obscure channels not available on any normal cable system, I saw that same video (first time since the late '80s) and - and this is the sad, God-I'm-old moment - 52-year-old me thought 44-year-old Harrison looked pretty darn good - heathy, energetic, slim.

I very clearly remember my impression of 44-year-old him when I was 23 and my impression today and realized that is a "I'm getting old" moment when people who looked old to me when I was young now look young to me. :(

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
We call it "stuffed green pepper." It's an institutional institution here. Cheap, colorful and tastes good if it's done right. Usually ground beef mixed with rice and onion stuffed into a green bell pepper (that's what we call capsicum here). It's a school, hospital and nursing home staple. You rarely see it done with Red bell pepper because they're more expensive.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you are really, really, like "get ready for Judgement Day” when...

You find old newspaper clippings of places that you lived in which are now
relegated to historical preservation.
28mi5wi.jpg

307us0l.jpg

Lived here with my folks until I was 3.

2qi7mo0.jpg

I was sent to live with my grandma. They were the best years of my youth. This is where I
first met jake (pit-bull). He took care of me & was my best pal. Everywhere I went we were
together. At night alone in the dark, I knew it was ok. Jake was there.
The two of us against the world.
Folks started calling me 2jakes

I can’t believe I went around dressed like this.
Wool cap, Horsehide A-2 jacket, white scarf & old Maine Hunting boots.
2a4vhw9.jpg

2jakes is my homage to my dog jake.
29kw46h.jpg

Last edited:
We call it "stuffed green pepper." It's an institutional institution here. Cheap, colorful and tastes good if it's done right. Usually ground beef mixed with rice and onion stuffed into a green bell pepper (that's what we call capsicum here). It's a school, hospital and nursing home staple. You rarely see it done with Red bell pepper because they're more expensive.

Chile Rellenos are a staple here, often fried, but also roasted. We use poblanos though, as bell peppers are too mild.

IMG_2288.jpg

kaiser

A-List Customer
That looks really good ! I was on the road all day today with no time to eat, just got home and found out my wife was under the weather today and did not go shopping. And now I just saw your photo ! Not good

Hooray, I'm young! :D
After breakfast, I went out at 8:30 for an refreshing morning-walkaround and after just a couple of corners, a car with a younger mommy-looking woman stopped at the boardwalk besides me. The woman asked with adressing with the familiar "du" ("Dich"): "Can I ask "ya" something?"

"Kann ich Dich (!) Was fragen?"

At the first moment, I was confused, but after seconds again ok. It's very unusal to ask a person that way, but with my sporty denim jacket, of course she just couldn't see, if I'm a slender 30+ adult or a sporty 15. ;)

Hooray, I'm young! :D
After breakfast, I went out at 8:30 for an refreshing morning-walkaround and after just a couple of corners, a car with a younger mommy-looking woman stopped at the boardwalk besides me. The woman asked with adressing with the familiar "du" ("Dich"): "Can I ask "ya" something?"

"Kann ich Dich (!) Was fragen?"

At the first moment, I was confused, but after seconds again ok. It's very unusal to ask a person that way, but with my sporty denim jacket, of course she just couldn't see, if I'm a slender 30+ adult or a sporty 15. ;)

Unwinding all that you said and translating it back into a language with only "one" version of "you," I think I got it: she thought you were much younger than you are - fantastic. Always puts a kick in one's step for the day when that happens.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The 2007 movie, titled: The Bucket List, has one of the best quotes about aging of all time:
Edward Cole: Three things to remember when you get older: never pass up a bathroom, never waste a hard-on, and never trust a fart.
Thomas: I'll keep that in mind as I approach decrepitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld