Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Khaki Trousers - Originals and Reproductions

Wild Root

Gone Home
Spot on.

Yes, that's the hot ticket right there!

How come you can't buy them? Do they not export to the US? Or is it that you would need to learn how to read a different language to order?

There has to be a way to get some of those.

Root.

jake431

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
Yes, that's the hot ticket right there!

How come you can't buy them? Do they not export to the US? Or is it that you would need to learn how to read a different language to order?

There has to be a way to get some of those.

Root.

The problem is two-fold. 1) I do not speak Japanese, or more accurately, read Japanese. 2) History Preservation Associates is the Buzz Rickson dealer for the US, and they do not carry them. Right now, they are, according to the latest exchange rates, $88 and $93, respectively (as I can't read Japanese, I don't know which price is for which color. Shipping would probably be about $10-15 or so from Japan.

So, if you know someone in Japan who would order them for you, you are all set. But, I do not know anyone who works at Hinoya (the store's website). I suppose I could send off an email and see if I get any sort of response...which I think I just did - thank you online translators! Of course, I could have just done something catastrophic, but time will tell.

I'll let you know what happens...

-Jake

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I see now

And I want some also. Those are terrific. Let us know how you make out?
I do know someone who is fluent in Japanses, if I need to get help.

jake431

Practically Family
scotrace said:
And I want some also. Those are terrific. Let us know how you make out?
I do know someone who is fluent in Japanses, if I need to get help.

Thanks - I haven't heard anything yet, but then, it's not even business hours in Japan so, no surprise there. If you wanted to send that page url to your japanese fluent friend, perhaps they could see if it mentions anything about their shipping practices somewhere on their site.

I'll let everyone know when I hear ANYTHING.

-Jake

jake431

Practically Family
Just an update - I never got a response from their website, but now I get that store's newsletter. In Japanese.

Looks like I am out of options until they get back to me. I have a buddy who has wwiiimpression USMC khaki's and he say's they're quite good.

-Jake

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Japanese Speaker Pal

I'll see him later this week, and we'll hash it out. Some of the pages BellyTank posted in the Hawaiian shirt thread were same Japanese language deal.

I'd like to know what those cost, if they ship to US, etc. Barring that, I'll have my friend buy me a pair when in Japan later this year.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Jake- JC might be able to help with getting Jap stuff... maybe...

Try using 'Altavista's Babelfish Translator'-

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

...copy and paste text or the URL and read some crazy 'Janglish'.

I still maintain that there are good khakis on eBay- I bought a mint '46 dated pair 2 yrs ago for around $25- plastic buttons is the only difference- was wearing them last week in sunny Stockholm- O and BTW Jake, none of the cheap LVC left in STHM I'm afraid... :cry:

B
T

jake431

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Jake- JC might be able to help with getting Jap stuff... maybe...

Try using 'Altavista's Babelfish Translator'-

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

...copy and paste text or the URL and read some crazy 'Janglish'.

I still maintain that there are good khakis on eBay- I bought a mint '46 dated pair 2 yrs ago for around $25- plastic buttons is the only difference- was wearing them last week in sunny Stockholm- O and BTW Jake, none of the cheap LVC left in STHM I'm afraid... :cry:

B
T

Thanks for looking anyway, Martin.

I used a translator to send my email to them, and I know they must have received it - since I am getting their sales ads. I know ebay is always a possiblity but for whatever reason I want repros so I am not wearing out real history.

-Jake

shamus

Suspended
it's ironic that you are going through so much trouble to buy a pair of "American" pants that were originally made for our troops to wear fighting the very same guys who are making them today....

I wonder in 60 years if some guy in Japan will be having the same trouble buying a vintage "1980's Sony VCR" made in the U.S.?

Did you contact Aero Leather? I know Ken's not there anymore but the new guy might be able to help you...

jake431

Practically Family
shamus said:
it's ironic that you are going through so much trouble to buy a pair of "American" pants that were originally made for our troops to wear fighting the very same guys who are making them today....

I wonder in 60 years if some guy in Japan will be having the same trouble buying a vintage "1980's Sony VCR" made in the U.S.?

Did you contact Aero Leather? I know Ken's not there anymore but the new guy might be able to help you...

It's true, it's terribly ironic. How about American making Japanese cars in Ohio? That's where my friend's Civic was made.

-Jake

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Jake, did you try contacting Yoshi at MASH like some of the guys at Vintage Leather have been doing for the zips? I understand his English is excellent and his customer service too-if you can get the zips, I'd have thought you could have got the strides too.

Mb17

jake431

Practically Family
MikeyB17 said:
Jake, did you try contacting Yoshi at MASH like some of the guys at Vintage Leather have been doing for the zips? I understand his English is excellent and his customer service too-if you can get the zips, I'd have thought you could have got the strides too.

Mb17

MASH makes their own khakis - the best Grant ever saw, he has a pair of them. Unfortunately, they are out of most sizes and MASH never makes their stuff on a regular basis. I've bought a Crown zip, NOS from him, and he is a pleasure to deal with. If he ever makes Khaki's again, I'll jump on them. I've seen Grant's pair of MASH Khaki's - they're the real deal.

http://www.mash-japan.co.jp/moc-item/moc-top-f/moc-top-1.html

-Jake

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
my 2 cents

I know that this thread is a bit old but I thought I'd add to it. I just got a pair of Bills and I gotta say that these are really great trousers. I don't have a genuine pair of WWII khakis to compare with but I do have trousers from the early 40s. Bills are just as high waisted and roomy in the seat and legs. 23 in. at the knee and about 19 at the ankle. Yeah, they are pricey but I bit the financial bullet and will probably get another. Sefton

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I've never tried on a pair of Bill's. But I do own K-1s and can attest to their fine high-waisted and roomy fit, as well as their very solid construction. I found a rack of 'em at an outlet in Brooklyn for $15 per and bought the lot of 'em in my size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe