Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst Thing(s) That Happened In Your Life

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Our life may sometimes bring us surprises, unexpected turns for the better or worse. What may be those outstanding worst event(s) that was a landmark for you?

Mine firstly was the murder of my brother and his wife in 1990 when he was ambushed in his house by drug thugs. He hanged out with the wrong crowd previously and got involved with the drug loot as a DEA. Became corrupt and shared their loot until they killed him for it. Their baby was saved though because they left him with my Mom. Today the baby is in college studying nursing.

Second was my brain surgery 4 months ago with various complications. I was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation Type I with Syringomyelia (a cyst form within the spine) caused by spinal fluid circulation blockage due to the Chiari Malformation causing numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. I had 5 complications in 70 days and had to go back for brain surgery every 2 weeks. At the end, Dr. had to drill the side of my skull to insert a shunt for the fluid to drain directly to my tummy when pressure builds up. So far so good, but my sensory nerves may have already sustained irreversible damage since I only have partial restoration of my feelings to my hands (although my feet have dramatically improved).

That's all. How about you?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Don't want this column to become too depressing, but seven years ago I had an unexplained brain seizure while driving (alone) and caused a fatal accident. After tons of tests the doctors never did find a reason for the seizure. Not a week goes by that don't think about it. By choice I haven't owned a car since although I'll rent a car once in a while. Also, I haven't had another seizure since then.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Worst thing for me was being diagnosed with cancer, almost a year ago now.

I was diagnosed with an osteosarcoma of my right femur, a tumor on my thigh bone. Initially, my Dr. and Surgeon thought they could remove the tumor and save my leg. Unfortunately, the bone had become so weakened by the tumor that one moring, shortly after being diagnosed, I sat up in bed and my leg broke. As a result of the break, the leg couldn't be saved.

I lost my right leg just before Christmas last year, and have had to undergo chemotherapy a physical rehabilitation. I started my next to last chemo treatment today, and should be able to be fitted for a prosthetic in the not too distant future.

This is a relatively rare form of cancer for someone my age, 39. It usually affects young children or very elderly people. My wife, two sons and I have had quite a trying time this past year, but look forward to brighter skies ahead.

I'm thankful for EVERY DAY I have, and truly have a different perspective on life.

Hondo

One Too Many
Ran over (3 times!) by a Ford Pinto, Nurse said lucky it wasn't a 57 Chevy :) I have a sense of humor about all this, Maybe this didn’t sound as dramatic as others, I had heart stop 3 times during operations (last rites too) and a hearing loss from all this yet here I am almost 39 years later, its all true, the good do die young.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
BJBAmerica said:
Worst thing for me was being diagnosed with cancer, almost a year ago now.

I was diagnosed with an osteosarcoma of my right femur, a tumor on my thigh bone. Initially, my Dr. and Surgeon thought they could remove the tumor and save my leg. Unfortunately, the bone had become so weakened by the tumor that one moring, shortly after being diagnosed, I sat up in bed and my leg broke. As a result of the break, the leg couldn't be saved.

I lost my right leg just before Christmas last year, and have had to undergo chemotherapy a physical rehabilitation. I started my next to last chemo treatment today, and should be able to be fitted for a prosthetic in the not too distant future.

This is a relatively rare form of cancer for someone my age, 39. It usually affects young children or very elderly people. My wife, two sons and I have had quite a trying time this past year, but look forward to brighter skies ahead.

I'm thankful for EVERY DAY I have, and truly have a different perspective on life.

Barry - you have two great sons (I've seen them in another thread) You have great style and a great sense of humor. You are a winner!
How is the old song: Allways look on the bright sides of life - whistle-whistel...
All the best mate.:cheers1:

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Spitfire said:
Barry - you have two great sons (I've seen them in another thread) You have great style and a great sense of humor. You are a winner!
How is the old song: Allways look on the bright sides of life - whistle-whistel...
All the best mate.:cheers1:

Thanks, Spitfire.....Much appreciated, my friend!!!

Foofoogal

Banned
My parents were both depression era people. Mother passed away in 1984, dad in 1987 with lung cancer from asbestos. this was difficult as I was in my 20s at the time.
I come from a very large family and a week ago or so on July 24th. 2007 my nephew was killed instantly in a wreck with a cement truck. It was all over the news in Houston. He was 21. This was the first time to lose any of our young family members and it was a blow to all of us. Like a dream really.
Life is precious. It has always reminded me of a dandelion flower.
Our belief in Jesus and our love for our family is everything. Message here was definitely noone is promised tomorrow so treasure each and every moment of every day and loved ones. Sandy

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Being diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 12. It's a total drag. I'm very lucky to be alive in this age, instead of 50 years ago, but the slow pace of research and development in this area is still incredibly frustrating.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Being on the receiving end of a rather large falling tree.

Having my father unexpectedly collapse and die in front of me.

A few other things that are much too depressing to mention. On a lighter note at least the sun is shinning here - for a change this summer lol

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Divorce, bankruptcy, depression - you know, the usual stuff. But I prefer, "Everyday and in everyway, it's getting better and better".

(...come on! Chin up! Hubba hubba!) ;)

-dixon cannon

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Oh my gosh, when I read the second part of this my heart skipped a beat! I stopped reading at Chiara Malformation for a moment. That was a possible diagnosis of mine, right now they just stopped at the fact the my cerebellum tonsils are hang to low, a birth defect that wasn't found years ago with all the previous scans, rays, mris. The last MRI suggests furthur MRI for possible Chiairi. My probs have to deal with preasure in my head due to the spinal build up, head aches, visual probs. Phew. It was like deja vue. If the meds dont work, next step is removing a piece of the skull at the base of the neck.

Gilbey said:
Second was my brain surgery 4 months ago with various complications. I was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation Type I with Syringomyelia (a cyst form within the spine) caused by spinal fluid circulation blockage due to the Chiari Malformation causing numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. I had 5 complications in 70 days and had to go back for brain surgery every 2 weeks. At the end, Dr. had to drill the side of my skull to insert a shunt for the fluid to drain directly to my tummy when pressure builds up. So far so good, but my sensory nerves may have already sustained irreversible damage since I only have partial restoration of my feelings to my hands (although my feet have dramatically improved).

That's all. How about you?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There've been some rough patches in my life, but nothing to compare with what's been posted here before -- you're all Survivors, and my hat is off to you.

As for me, I had a congenital birth defect that couldn't be repaired when I was a child because we couldn't afford it -- it wasn't until long after I was grown up that I finally was able to deal with it, and I had to go to Canada to do it, since the cost there was half of what it would be here. And even then I had to sell my house to pay the bills. That was right around the time I got divorced, which kind of spread the misery around a bit.

But, no, in retrospect, the worst thing that ever happened in my life was when I was 18 years old and joined a religious sect that didn't believe in Higher Education. So I never went to college, and have had to struggle to earn a living ever since. But I was 18 and like many 18-year-olds thought I knew everything -- boy, was I wrong.

Hondo

One Too Many
Been there :rolleyes:
And Yeah! It gets better, beats going to jail lol

Dixon Cannon said:
Divorce, bankruptcy, depression - you know, the usual stuff. But I prefer, "Everyday and in everyway, it's getting better and better".

(...come on! Chin up! Hubba hubba!) ;)

-dixon cannon

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The worst thing that's happened to me is pretty lame compared to the catastrophes that befall other folks. But the effect it's had on my life is profound. Basically, I've spent 40 years standing in my own way.

Some of it's due to psychochemical imbalances. But some of it's aided and abetted by my family. I'm the only child and they've always been very protective, to the point where I'm very suspicious of the big, busy, impersonal world where I'm going to have to spend the rest of my life.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I've not had anything horrible happen directly to me (other than being in a few car crashes, but I pretty much walked away unharmed), but my mom had a serious stroke 2 1/2 years ago on Christmas Day while we were in her living room opening presents. She's still with us, and running at about 80% of what she was before.... despite the docs saying that she wouldn't walk/talk/know us.

The other thing that The Mister and I are dealing with now is that he was recently diagnosed with a seizure disorder (started having problems a week after our wedding), lost his job because of his diagnosis, and are getting ready to undergo court proceedings because of it. But... we're together, in love, and we'll be fine.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Sending good wishes to all those who have been or are ill.

I wouldn't go back to the years between 13 and 18 for any price. Three people very close to me died during that period, I went through a major depression and then there was high school, it's own special hell.

Thank God for college--a fresh start.

Bebop

Practically Family
After reading some of the tragic things that have happened to some of you, I feel that the worse thing that happened in my life is not that bad, relativley speaking.
My wife and partner in life leaving me after 25 years that I thought were unquestionably idyllic is absolutley the worse and most devastating tradgedy of my life so far. :( Sometimes I still can't seem to move on. That and my whole childhood but I won't do that soap opera here.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I've had a good life. And I can't complain, I've been fed, taken care of and loved all my life. But life is never without it's trials. It's how we learn, and how we become better people. That belief has gotten me through the worst of my experiences. And I have had some bad ones.
I would say one of the worst is that I am a domestic abuse survivor and I'll be the first to say it doens't just happen to older people, or married people. I was 15 and a sophmore in HS. He forceably took my innocence, stalked me for a year after we finally broke up and tried to kill me. Not the most pleasant memories. If you or anyone you know is ever in an abusive sittuation, get out. if it's a friend, help them get out. Do anything you can to help. You might just save their life
I'd have to say that was the worst. But I'm happy, healthy, and have a wonderful life today with a roof over my head and a husband whom I adore and who adores me. I learned a lot, and I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. They hurt, they were confusing, and they were damaging psychologically, but they made me the strong, determined fighter I am today. They are mine to cherish and learn from. And I do.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
pretty faythe said:
Oh my gosh, when I read the second part of this my heart skipped a beat! I stopped reading at Chiara Malformation for a moment. That was a possible diagnosis of mine, right now they just stopped at the fact the my cerebellum tonsils are hang to low, a birth defect that wasn't found years ago with all the previous scans, rays, mris. The last MRI suggests furthur MRI for possible Chiairi. My probs have to deal with preasure in my head due to the spinal build up, head aches, visual probs. Phew. It was like deja vue. If the meds dont work, next step is removing a piece of the skull at the base of the neck.

Hi Pretty Faythe,
Yes, my cerebellum tonsils were hanging too low too that they had to perform Posterior Fossa Decompression (removing the lower back to the base of my skull, plus my C1 vertebrae).

http://www.mayoclinic.org/chiari-malformation/treatment.html

Fortunately, my symptoms were only numbness and tingling on my hands and feet. No headaches. The headaches only started during the complications when my dura wouldn't heal. The patch they put always blew off and spinal fluid would leak internally causing severe migraines and nausea. They've fixed it now, after trying for 5 times. Now, I am back in the workforce fulltime. Praise be to God. His grace sustains me daily. :)

I wish you the best Pretty Faythe. You will need to find a very good Neurosurgeon for this diagnosis. God Bless.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe